Rescuing Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pet Progress

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I went to my nearest rescue yesterday and had a look around and it was fab.
I have to say, it was not at all what I was expecting. It was clean and tidy, the 2 women running it were lovely, there was so much variety: colours, ages, coats ect. and the piggies had amazing temperaments.
However, I have a dilemma: I saw a lovely fluffy baby who is ready for a home but I also saw and felt bad for an older pair of piggies too.
I know that the babies will definitely be rehomed and they will get a home faster while the elders remain at the rescue but I still want the baby. I feel bad as the older pair have been through so much and still have not found a home while the younger ones go to forever homes in a matter of days.
What should I do? Adopt the unwanted pair or the fluffy popcorning baby?
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place!)
Thank you!

I would adopt the older pair as they are already bonded and if you get the baby you will only have to find her a friend. Older piggies are easier to handle which is especially important if they are your first piggies. I would love to give the older ones their forever home especially as you say they have been through a lot.

What sex are they all? If females would it be possible to see if the baby can be bonded with the older 2 and therefore have them all (win/win situation). I don't know much at all about bonding multiple piggies so sorry if that is not a good suggestion, just maybe something worth asking about?

Reactions: Azi
Thank you both for your replies - it's worth asking about, AbiS. The baby is a female and the pair consists of a female and a neutered male! I don't know much about bonding either but I bet the rescue staff are great at it. Thank you :))

The first 2 piggy's I have were 6yrs old rescue. They were so lovely and easy to handle, perfect first time piggy's. It was because of their wonderful caricatures that got me into guinea pigs. Only 2 day after getting them I was sat in the run with them I was give them a little brush every time I stop brushing them,one of them would nug my hand to get my to brush him again. Wonderful boys

I don't think having all three is an option. I don't have the space for them all and in my last forum someone mentioned that one piggie always is left out in trios. So I think its a matter of either or.

I got pictures of the website:
saffron is the babysaffron.webp
and I would get another girl from her herd to rehome

topsy and haribo(neutered) are the bonded pair :))topsy.webphari.webp

The first 2 piggy's I have were 6yrs old rescue. They were so lovely and easy to handle, perfect first time piggy's. It was because of their wonderful caricatures that got me into guinea pigs. Only 2 day after getting them I was sat in the run with them I was give them a little brush every time I stop brushing them,one of them would nug my hand to get my to brush him again. Wonderful boys
that is So cute! <3

I dont think its true that one is always left out in trios, lots of people have trios... but I'm new to piggies so i dont really know. Totally understandable if space is an issue though.

But wow... they are all gorgeous!

Also to say, ive had my 3.5 month old boys for 3 weeks, they are my first gps and in hindsight i would probably really have benefited from older piggies who are used to handling x

I have a trio of 2 sows and a boar. They don't all have the same relationship with each other, but none of mine are left out. Even though I have two pigs that don't really like sharing their houses they all sleep up the loft together but separately :) I would probably go for all three if it was me, but obviously depends on how much space you've got.

There are lots of members on here with very happy all sow or one boar/two sow trios. Trios are only problematic when there are three boys - that's when you usually end up with fights and one piggie ending up left out. So don't let that factor put you off!
Other members on here with trios will be able to give you info on how much extra space you'd need.

If you are struggling with size, could you use CC? That way it doesn't have to go outwards, you can build it upwards. Same shape cage just taller thus less room taken over and you can have baby and bonded pair. Might even be like a father/mother and baby daughter combo. :)

yes, I think I am going to bulid a c&c cage, thank you all for your suggestions and input! :)

a castrated boar and couple of sows could work really well and it means if you lose one you dont have the mad rush before you are ready to get another one. The minimum ground level for three is 4x2 i think . You cant add up floor space from different levels for space if that makes sense. I have a group of 6 sows and a group of 4 sows but they have their own room.Ultimately it is up to you, if you have fallen in love with the baby and three isnt an option then get the baby. I got two babies from rescue.The rescue may have an older single sow to bond her with for you then you are rescuing the baby and an older one.All three are beautiful

I have a trio - on the whole they all get on , but there are squabbles and it differs as to who is being pushed out, but they all have their own house to snuggle in when they want time out - (too be fair that is mainly what the squabbling is about, one always want s the house that the other one is snuggled in :hmm:)

If I had to choose I would go for the two older GP's , I'm a sucker for the odd ones out etc

Have you had piggies before? The older ones are long haired & will require a lot of grooming so I think the rescue would only normally re-home to people with previous experience. On the other hand the baby looks like she will have long hair too :( What do her parents look like? Babies are harder work initially & very fast & skittish so will need regular handling to make them friendly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back