• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

rescued piggies don't talk!

• Thread starter Thread starter abby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abby

I took on 2 10mnth old pigs a week ago and they haven't made a peep since we got them. I thought it might take them a while to settle in but I'm sure this isn't normal.They don't even make a sound when i give them their veg, or even when they are startled. Has anyone got any idea why they might be so silent? They are active and seem to be in good health apart from this.

Don't worry Abby they will come round! When me & a couple of other people took on some pigs from some of the worst situations imaginable they were pretty quiet for a while. It even took one who was pregnant to have her babies & have the babies teach her how to Wheek!
Their noises will prob be quite small to start with but their 'voice' almost develops over time. My lot have noow been demoted to the shed because they were so loud that they were waking up my daughter in the evening if I turned over the page of a book - they though it was the food bag!
There has been some thought that pigs who come from bad situations don't wheek too much because it attracts prey - so if they were feeling stressed or under threat for their whole life then they probably didn't make that much noise....

It's still early days, but once they start there'll be no stopping them!

Welcome to the forum and when do we see pics? :)

Bev x x

welcome to the forum! :)

My latest two, never made a sound for ages. THey need to get used to things like we do. Now Squeaky lives up to his name! :D

xx

hils78 said:
Don't worry Abby they will come round! When me & a couple of other people took on some pigs from some of the worst situations imaginable they were pretty quiet for a while. It even took one who was pregnant to have her babies & have the babies teach her how to Wheek!
Their noises will prob be quite small to start with but their 'voice' almost develops over time. My lot have noow been demoted to the shed because they were so loud that they were waking up my daughter in the evening if I turned over the page of a book - they though it was the food bag!
There has been some thought that pigs who come from bad situations don't wheek too much because it attracts prey - so if they were feeling stressed or under threat for their whole life then they probably didn't make that much noise....
yup Bluebell doesnt make any noise nor Cinnamon and Honey ( she does when bag is rattled,but omg Angel makes up for everyone
we've just had a chinese and she was going mental climbing out of her cage to come and get some...wtf :o :o

Well that's a relief! as far as i know they haven't come from a bad background, apparently the child who 'owned' them got bored of them. They're quite happy to have a cuddle once you've managed to get hold of them so they're not overly nervous. They came with a 2 year old rabbit who they seem to get on ok with, i know you are not supposed to keep them together but i thought it would be mean to split them up now. They do dash off to their bedroom when i put the food in rather than coming running but they soon tuck into it when they think i'm not looking! thanks for all your advice, i really do hope they speak soon, i love the wheek wheek noise! I wiil post some piccies soon1

I truly believe that it is a learned behavior. We got in three boys that would not be quiet, and they were raised with other guinea pigs and such. We also got in two boys who were in with rabbits and such and never wheeked. Their cage was right next to the three boys, so they began to after a little while. It was quite a pathetic attempt, but at least they tried, and they did eventually get better!

Kimmie

KimmiesGuineas said:
I truly believe that it is a learned behavior. We got in three boys that would not be quiet, and they were raised with other guinea pigs and such. We also got in two boys who were in with rabbits and such and never wheeked. Their cage was right next to the three boys, so they began to after a little while. It was quite a pathetic attempt, but at least they tried, and they did eventually get better!

Kimmie

I agree. One of my piggys, Angela, came via the freeads as children were bored of her. She had been kept alone in a corner of the kitchen. Once she was settled in with me I bonded her to one of my girls and they live along side my other pair of girls. All are very noisey. For weeks she never made a sound and almost seem confused by the racket that my other 3 made. Now she tries - it is not a proper wheek yet but she is getting there!

They made a noise! well two actually. I put them in the run this morning and whilst they were huddling under their shelter i heard a very quiet little chirruppy sound. Since then i've been watching them and I've heard a quite bizarre noise, a kind of loww undulating purr, a bit like a pigeon cooing? They were walking round in a circle following each other, nose to tail. Anyone know what that means? Their claws are quite long and hooked as well, i managed to clip one of their front claws but he was obviously terrified so i thought i'd do them bit by bit. one of the claws seems to point inwards, is this normal or does it mean it's been broken at some point? it doesn't seem to cause him any pain. Their names are jelly and gismo by the way (the kids named them!

Bless them - it does sound like the toes have broken from the nails being too long. Most of my pigs have broken toes because the are all rescues bar 1. Are you 100% they are both boys?! 88) It does sound like you hopefully have 2 boars who are doing normal boar stuff! sounds like they are coming out of their shell a little & establishing who's boss. Can't wait for pics. keep us posted. H78

yes i think i'm 99% sure they're both boys, have checked several times now tho i'm no expert! Anyway since they are 10 mnths old if one was a girl the previous owners would've known surely? They do seem to be settling in a bit now but i don't think they got much human attention before. I will try to post piccies tommorrow. :)

oops! You would'nt believe what a nitemare i had getting those photos posted, computers and me don't get along!

I fostered two boars and they did not wheek at all for the first week. Then Rusty made me jump with delight when he wheeked for the first time after that there was no stopping them. It took them a while to trust me every time I went in they looked so scared and was very jumpy for a while but they did settle down as your will. Good luck with them.

Thanks, they are still very jumpy, i have heard them make a few noises now tho. I just can't wait till they wheek when they see me instead of running to hide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back