Rescued Piggie With Torticollis ( Head Tilt)

Crookshanks

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of a sweet little piglet (My manager at the store I work at asked me to adopt her, since she knew I would give her lots of love). She has torticollis. She has been to the vet, been given medication, and has been brought to her forever home. Is there any special care that she will need? I am very familiar with normal care of guinea pigs, but I haven't been able to find information on torticollis (except what can cause it). Do I need to do anything special for her?

Hi and welcome!

What medication has your piggy been put on for her head tilt? The most common cause is an ear infection, but e.cuniculi, a stroke or a neurological problem can also cause it.

A permanent head tilt can also be the result of an un- or undertreated ear infection or a neurological problem.

@helen105281 @Jaycey @Freela

I am afraid it is not something I have come across either. Welcome to the forum.

I have just done a quick google search and it sounds like a head tilt? What medication was she given?

Edit. Just want to point out that the thread title and first response were edited after I posted.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

What medication has your piggy been put on for her head tilt? The most common cause is an ear infection, but e.cuniculi, a stroke or a neurological problem can also cause it.

A permanent head tilt can also be the result of an un- or undertreated ear infection or a neurological problem.

@helen105281 @Jaycey @Freela
I'm not sure..... she was finished with the medication before I got her. I believe it was for a parasite though.

I'm not expecting her head tilt to go away, it seems permanent. I knew this when I took her in. I just didn't know if there were things she might need to accommodate her a little better!

We had a piggy with a permanent head tilt due to neurological issues and so does @MerryPip. Need to make sure it is a permanent one and not one due to them being ill though. Do you have access to a good guinea pig vet?

List of good guinea vets in your area Veterinarians: Pennsylvania - Guinea Lynx Records

Welcome to the forum

We had a piggy with a permanent head tilt due to neurological issues and so does @MerryPip. Need to make sure it is a permanent one and not one due to them being ill though. Do you have access to a good guinea pig vet?

List of good guinea vets in your area Veterinarians: Pennsylvania - Guinea Lynx Records

Welcome to the forum
Yup... she has just been to the vet. Although I'm slightly appalled that he offered to "crack it back into place". I wotk at a pet shop, and we always take out critters to the vet of they are sick, so I have plenty of vet options if i need to take her back to one.

Yup... she has just been to the vet. Although I'm slightly appalled that he offered to "crack it back into place". I wotk at a pet shop, and we always take out critters to the vet of they are sick, so I have plenty of vet options if i need to take her back to one.

Oh God no.. that would be a huge mistake.... avoid that one....

Making sure she can get around her cage okay, and can get at her food and water is important.

Can she walk okay?

Let us know what the vet says about it being permanent or not.

Making sure she can get around her cage okay, and can get at her food and water is important.

Can she walk okay?

Let us know what the vet says about it being permanent or not.

great idea on food and water @Jaycey.

When a piggy has a head tilt they need to move around lots, even if to start with they tend to circle or fall over. The more they move about, the quicker the brain 'resets' which means they are able to compensate for the tilt and walk normally and feel normal. This is also the case with rabbits with vestibular disease (torticollis). We have a permanent resident, here at TEAS who has a rather alarming looking headtilt, but for her, that is now normal and she copes with it well. We don't need to make any allowances for her or adapt her accommodation in any way.

When a piggy has a head tilt they need to move around lots, even if to start with they tend to circle or fall over. The more they move about, the quicker the brain 'resets' which means they are able to compensate for the tilt and walk normally and feel normal. This is also the case with rabbits with vestibular disease (torticollis). We have a permanent resident, here at TEAS who has a rather alarming looking headtilt, but for her, that is now normal and she copes with it well. We don't need to make any allowances for her or adapt her accommodation in any way.
Thanks for that info Debs x

She is moving around fine and is eating well! She has been having a little difficulty with her water bottle..... but is drinking! Might be a learning curve for her. This is the info I was looking for, so tyvm!

Maybe a water bowl will suit her better than a bottle xx
She is drinking..... about 1/4 of her water bottle a day. I'm not sure what is normal for them. I was going to wait to see if it's just a better of getting acclimated to the head tilt and figuring things out. If she's still struggling I'll switch to a bowl.

She is drinking..... about 1/4 of her water bottle a day. I'm not sure what is normal for them. I was going to wait to see if it's just a better of getting acclimated to the head tilt and figuring things out. If she's still struggling I'll switch to a bowl.
Florrie looks awkward when drinking from a bottle, but I don't think she realises, it is just how I view her. I will post some pics of her at some point soon. She is adorable, but has a very pronounced head tilt.

It is appalling that a vet should suggest this! I'd go to another vet! Head tilt is not cos your piggy has a stiff neck!

ive 3 piggies with permanent head tilts.all came to me with this ,they all manange fine.i find freya is possibly alittle hard of hearing but it seems to not bother her.she does wheek the loudest and has had a full month of septrin but she came to me with this at 8 months old,she is now 3 years and 2 months .

Hi there, realy glad you are caring for torty pigs! Oftern a torty will develop a strong bond with his/her keeper ! Far more than an average pig! And you may find your pigs concider you as a friend , very quicly!
Enjoy :tu:

Back