Rescue progress

Wetherill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I hope I am posting this in the correct section, because I just wanted to share some progress photos. About a month or two ago, I had posted about how I had seen a very sick guinea pig at a very abusive pet store near me. He was in horrible shape, far worse than the rest. I shared the store on local Facebook forums for others to go rescue them (I told the store I’d call ASPCA/American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and then got him free. They wanted 170 USD). He had severe ringworm with almost entirely decomposed ears, URI, hair loss, was severely underweight, etc. I am so happy to share that we have nursed him back to health. He is still being quarantined until we receive results from a culture to make sure his ringworm is completely gone, but Charlie is doing great!

Attachments

• IMG_9977.webp
    IMG_9977.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9976.webp
    IMG_9976.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 37
Oh my how sad, that adorable little guy is so lucky to have found you, that as so maddening and to try to charge you $170, I am sending positive vibes yours and Charlie’s way 🥰

oh what a horrible store, really glad Charlie is with you!

Are you in the US? What state? I'd guess other animals are in bad shape there too, and a report to authorities is in order

Oh what a cutie! Now he can have the life he deserves. Well done, it must have been hard work.

Well done Charlie, you are gorgeous! He couldn’t have gotten better if not for your care. Truly selfless so thank you. He’s definitely living his best life now 😍

That’s fantastic news. He’s such a cutie. Bet he can’t wait to be able to meet some friends. 😍

What a wonderful thing you have done, you have saved Charlie from a very miserable and short painful life. Charlie has luck on his side and a happy and bright future :yahoo: how lovely x

Well done for rescuing Charlie, you have changed his life forever. He really is a cute boy. xx

Omg Charlie is gorgeous and it’s lovely very to see his progress ❤️
How lovely that you’ve rescued him 🥰
You are a 🌟

Well done for saving Charlie's life! :yahoo: 😍

Please make sure that the carer gets rid of any spores, including those that could be sitting in the coat and cause another outbreak weeks or months down the line. The invisibly tiny spores can stay live for around 2 years or even a little longer. Just one spore can cause a new outbreak.

My own ringworm outbreaks were twice carried in by either healed piggies or piggies unaffected by it during quarantining in a group of affected ones. A sign-off bath at the end of quarantine as part of the move into new quarters can really make all the difference in that respect - these experiences were part of my learning curve in never underestimating ringworm.
Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

PS: My Barri was a vet surrender because of advanced ringworm due to incorrect DIY home treatment by his initial owner. The first vet he was seen by wanted to euthanise him. The second vet referred him to a sanctuary where I adopted from once totally healed by correct oral treatment. Barri died coming up to his 5th adoption anniversary last year and apart from a minor and quickly dealt with hiccup about half a year after his adoption never suffered from ringworm again.

I sincerely hope that Charlie will fully recover in due time and have a happy life. He must already feel so much better in himself now!

Well done for saving Charlie's life! :yahoo: 😍

Please make sure that the carer gets rid of any spores, including those that could be sitting in the coat and cause another outbreak weeks or months down the line. The invisibly tiny spores can stay live for around 2 years or even a little longer. Just one spore can cause a new outbreak.

My own ringworm outbreaks were twice carried in by either healed piggies or piggies unaffected by it during quarantining in a group of affected ones. A sign-off bath at the end of quarantine as part of the move into new quarters can really make all the difference in that respect - these experiences were part of my learning curve in never underestimating ringworm.
Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

PS: My Barri was a vet surrender because of advanced ringworm due to incorrect DIY home treatment by his initial owner. The first vet he was seen by wanted to euthanise him. The second vet referred him to a sanctuary where I adopted from once totally healed by correct oral treatment. Barri died coming up to his 5th adoption anniversary last year and apart from a minor and quickly dealt with hiccup about half a year after his adoption never suffered from ringworm again.

I sincerely hope that Charlie will fully recover in due time and have a happy life. He must already feel so much better in himself now!
I’m sorry about your Barri, what a sweetheart :(

Thank you very much! Very useful info. We’ve planned the bath, but the extra resources are very appreciated. He is my seventh guinea pig, but first with ringworm! Hopefully we can get the spores totally gone. It’s so rewarding to see how happy he is. Surprisingly, he is so extroverted!

oh what a horrible store, really glad Charlie is with you!

Are you in the US? What state? I'd guess other animals are in bad shape there too, and a report to authorities is in order
Yes! We are in NY. Unfortunately all the animals in the store seemed to be struggling. :( Myself and others reported the store, however I haven’t heard much of anything. Definitely need to ask for a followup.

Yes! We are in NY. Unfortunately all the animals in the store seemed to be struggling. :( Myself and others reported the store, however I haven’t heard much of anything. Definitely need to ask for a followup.
:(

NY State or City? Are you comfortable sending me the info on the location? I'm in NJ, but in NYC pretty much every day.

Editing to add: I would want to add my report to the authorities too, that's why I want the location.

:(

NY State or City? Are you comfortable sending me the info on the location? I'm in NJ, but in NYC pretty much every day.

Editing to add: I would want to add my report to the authorities too, that's why I want the location.
I was just reading that almost all the shelters in NY are overcrowded and bc of inflation more ppl are surrendering their pets

Back