• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rescue - Baby Pig Issues: Eating Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poe'sMom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently brought home a rescue pig. He was bought from a pet store, and the girl could no longer take care of him. He's either under or right at the 2 months age mark. He's had some health issues, which I hope are coming to an end. But I am concerned that he may be too small to eat the pellets. He kinda picks them up and tries to chew but ends up spitting them back out. He is being given some critical care along with veggies, but due to his poop quality with the antibiotics he's on, I've reduced the amount of greens in his diet. I'm just not sure what to do.

Hi there.

What is he on antibiotics for? What type is it and what dose?

He could be dropping his pellets due to a dental issue, or due to his current condition/treatment. Some antibiotics such as baytril really do kill the appetite.

Is he on any probiotics? As antibiotics kills the bad bacteria, it also kills the good bacteria in the gut causing gut issues. Probiotics such as avipro plus, pro c or fibreplex should be given 1-2 hours after the antibiotics to keep the guts working properly.

Here is a syringe feeding guide to keep your boy topped up. Please only syringe a small amount at a time as he is so young.

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I would recommend you take your piggy back to the vet to re evaluate his condition and to check his teeth etc.

There is a vets locator at the top of the page to give you an idea of good guinea pig vets in your area if you dont want to disclose that information.

Hope he gets help from the vet soon x

He's on an antibiotic for a respiratory issue. Enrofloxacin at .14 ml - was at twice a day but because of lack of appetite and weight loss it was reduced to once a day. He's had two vet visits - one was for the respiratory issue then one with his lack of appetite. He's on a probiotic too - which was given during the second visit. She said his teeth looked fine, and that there were no oral obstructions. I just don't know if its because he is too young. Health wise he seems to be on the mend and his appetite is back somewhat, just not with the pellets.

He's on an antibiotic for a respiratory issue. Enrofloxacin at .14 ml - was at twice a day but because of lack of appetite and weight loss it was reduced to once a day. He's had two vet visits - one was for the respiratory issue then one with his lack of appetite. He's on a probiotic too - which was given during the second visit. She said his teeth looked fine, and that there were no oral obstructions. I just don't know if its because he is too young. Health wise he seems to be on the mend and his appetite is back somewhat, just not with the pellets.

Well done for keeping him in touch with the vet- I'm glad hes improving. If you could weigh him at the same time each day before u feed him veg, you will have an idea if he is eating enough or if he indeed does need topping up with syringe feeding. If hes losing weight and still struggling with pellets, i would even call your vet and ask for advice- he may meed his teeth looked at again.

Has he been eating hay throughout his illness?

Sort of. We think the antibiotics messed up his stomach a bit because for a day or so he didn't want to eat anything and wasn't pooping.

Enrofloxacin is Baytril in the UK and is notorious for upsetting the tummy. Do you have any probiotics?

I recently brought home a rescue pig. He was bought from a pet store, and the girl could no longer take care of him. He's either under or right at the 2 months age mark. He's had some health issues, which I hope are coming to an end. But I am concerned that he may be too small to eat the pellets. He kinda picks them up and tries to chew but ends up spitting them back out. He is being given some critical care along with veggies, but due to his poop quality with the antibiotics he's on, I've reduced the amount of greens in his diet. I'm just not sure what to do.

Hi! Has your vet checked his teeth? he could have a dental issue. At 8 weeks, he is definitely not too small to eat any pellets. Babies start eating solids, including pellets in their second week of life.

Please continue to top him up with syringe feed for the time being and to monitor his food intake via daily weighing, ideally before you give him his dinner. You can add a pinch of probiotics twice daily to help his guts counter the appetite killing effect of the antibiotic. Fibreplex can also help with propping up a failing appetite.

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details, as any further advice depends on that. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

As this is a medical issue, I am moving the thread to our Health/Ilness section where it is more likely to be seen by other experienced members.

He's on a probiotic as well, and we reduced the dosage of the antibiotic. Happy to say the little guy is eating and going to the bathroom like normal once again.

great news :) Thanks for the update. Be lovely to see some photos of him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back