• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rescuded piggie with broken tooth

• Thread starter Thread starter crittersgalore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crittersgalore

Ok! so I rescued ANOTHER piggie dumped off at my work. Well actually I rescued two! A female and male kept together so of course the female is pregnant ::). But my problem is with the male. He's under weight, his nails were SEVERLY overgrown, and he has a broken bottom tooth :( So my question is could this broken tooth cause eating problems? I have him by himself so that I con monitor his food intake. It seems to take him a bit longer to eat veggies and hay then the other piggies but he seems to do okay. I saw him nibbling on some pellets, but I'm wondering if they could be hard for him to eat since he has a broken tooth. Should I soften them for him? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Well done O0 Once again to the rescue :smitten:
What a little trooper if he's still managing to eat that's fantastic, however you could help him a little by cutting up some veggies and fruit to make it a little easier and offer some leafy greens torn up into smaller pieces as well. Within a week his toofie will grow enough for him to eat just about like normal. How far down is it, has he still got some toofie left? If he stops eating immediately to the vets but also syringe feed mushed up pellets, sounds like you're doing well anyway :)
Poor little girl how old do you think she is?
Good luck keep us posted :)

Yes he still has some tooth left. I have no idea how old she is .Poor little guy :( I just gave him a bath and now that his hair is yet you can see just how thin he his :( All skin and bones! He is so pretty though! He's a tri-colored silkie with one blue eye! I would post pictures but I'm having problems with my camera. I hope he starts putting weight on soon!

They sound lovely! Poor little things! :smitten:

obvioulsy he needs fattening up sooner rather then later, try syringe him extra food and maybe get the vet to trim both teeth to same length if he has some length left on the broken one so they are even and give him some metatone tonic to build him up as well

I personally would take him to the vets as it sounds like he hasn't eaten properly in a while, which I can't see being down to one broken tooth. If he is having difficultly eating it is more then likely his back teeth. ? :)

Cavy Crazy said:
I personally would take him to the vets as it sounds like he hasn't eaten properly in a while, which I can't see being down to one broken tooth. If he is having difficultly eating it is more then likely his back teeth. ? :)

Yes I get paid on Friday so I'm going to take him to the vet then. It sucks trying to make a vet apt. for piggies around here. The one place I found that see's piggies has a vet that's very allergic to piggies so they have to work around his schedule ::)

Michellemuffin♥ said:
obvioulsy he needs fattening up sooner rather then later, try syringe him extra food and maybe get the vet to trim both teeth to same length if he has some length left on the broken one so they are even and give him some metatone tonic to build him up as well

I've never heard of Metatone Tonic. Where can you find it?

Hi love you can only get it in the UK, i had some sent to me by a lovely lady Debbie :smitten:

Can you syringe feed some critical care or even till you get to the vets try mushed up pellets and add some baby pureed apples they love that.
Even if you could puree some veggie or fruits and feed that.
How's she going with her food today?

crittersgalore said:
Yes I get paid on Friday so I'm going to take him to the vet then. It sucks trying to make a vet apt. for piggies around here. The one place I found that see's piggies has a vet that's very allergic to piggies so they have to work around his schedule ::)

:o So a guinea who may be seriously sick may have to wait a couple more hours because a vet is allergic to guineas. :o That makes no sense to me, I understand he is allergic but their job is to preserve life not hope the guinea is still alive in a couple of hours time when a vet who isn't allergic to guineas is on. ::)

Anyway how is he today?

metatone tonic has vit B1 ,calcium, potasium, sodium glycerophosphate and manganese glyycerophosphate and it says on the box it provides a combination of vitB1 and 4 essential minerals and helps provide a gentle boost during and after illness so if you can find something like that in your chemist/drug store, it is only sold in Briatin but i'm sur you can find a similar thing now you know whats in it ,

Cavy Crazy said:
crittersgalore said:

:o So a guinea who may be seriously sick may have to wait a couple more hours because a vet is allergic to guineas. :o That makes no sense to me, I understand he is allergic but their job is to preserve life not hope the guinea is still alive in a couple of hours time when a vet who isn't allergic to guineas is on. ::)

Anyway how is he today?

I know! Isn't it ridiculous!
He's doing just fine. Munching away.... I see him eat everyday, veggies, hay and pellets. I've been syringe feeding him a bit. I think he'll pull through just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back