• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Repetitive grease gland issues

mackenzieluvslife

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Went to the vet with my almost 5 year old sow Latte back in January because of her issues with her grease gland. Vet confirmed it’s just her grease gland and gave us some betadine to clean it with. Worked fine cleaning it. The issue is that within a day of me cleaning this grease off (which takes a decent amount of time and totally stresses out my girl) theres a new layer of freshly caked on wet and smelly grease. Not exaggerating. A day. I can’t keep on top of cleaning it, and don’t want to do it too much as again she really dislikes it. It totally stinks and gets hay debris stuck in it, not to mention cakes into her fur and sometimes ends up near her vaginal area. Has anyone had this issue be so insane and reoccurring? I know cleaning around the grease gland stimulates it and can cause it to produce grease, but the amount seems totally excessive and I don’t know how I can keep it clean when it just keeps coming! Advice would be lovely.

Went to the vet with my almost 5 year old sow Latte back in January because of her issues with her grease gland. Vet confirmed it’s just her grease gland and gave us some betadine to clean it with. Worked fine cleaning it. The issue is that within a day of me cleaning this grease off (which takes a decent amount of time and totally stresses out my girl) theres a new layer of freshly caked on wet and smelly grease. Not exaggerating. A day. I can’t keep on top of cleaning it, and don’t want to do it too much as again she really dislikes it. It totally stinks and gets hay debris stuck in it, not to mention cakes into her fur and sometimes ends up near her vaginal area. Has anyone had this issue be so insane and reoccurring? I know cleaning around the grease gland stimulates it and can cause it to produce grease, but the amount seems totally excessive and I don’t know how I can keep it clean when it just keeps coming! Advice would be lovely.

Hi

Overactive grease glands in sows are less common but they do happen. The problem you can face is that over-cleaning can lead to overstimulation and overproduction. Try to take a step back and only clean once weekly and then gradually less and less, never mind how mucky she is in the first weeks in order to gradually settle the gland down again. Always give a grease gland piggy time to spread it and clean themselves up in the coming days as much as possible to not get caught up in a vicious circle. The more you step in, the more grease she will produce. :(

Hi

Overactive grease glands in sows are less common but they do happen. The problem you can face is that over-cleaning can lead to overstimulation and overproduction. Try to take a step back and only clean once weekly and then gradually less and less, never mind how mucky she is in the first weeks in order to gradually settle the gland down again. Always give a grease gland piggy time to spread it and clean themselves up in the coming days as much as possible to not get caught up in a vicious circle. The more you step in, the more grease she will produce. :(
Thank you. I’m just so worried as it looks so immensely uncomfortable for her. It doesn’t seem to affect her at all but I can’t help but think that it does. Such a stressful thing. It cakes and dries into a mess and then removing it, even as gently as I can, hair comes out and it’s just a total mess. I feel like a total failure of an owner because its just so out of control right now. Thank you again for the advice I will take it!

Thank you. I’m just so worried as it looks so immensely uncomfortable for her. It doesn’t seem to affect her at all but I can’t help but think that it does. Such a stressful thing. It cakes and dries into a mess and then removing it, even as gently as I can, hair comes out and it’s just a total mess. I feel like a total failure of an owner because its just so out of control right now. Thank you again for the advice I will take it!
It is isn't painful; it is just a normal process gone out of control. Getting it gradually back under control won't be nice or easy for you. There is quite obviously a trigger in play as this is not common in sows. We see this usually happening with boars.

It is isn't painful; it is just a normal process gone out of control. Getting it gradually back under control won't be nice or easy for you. There is quite obviously a trigger in play as this is not common in sows. We see this usually happening with boars.
A trigger being me cleaning it? Or environmental or genetic?

A trigger being me cleaning it? Or environmental or genetic?

It could be genetic and/or something underlying going on in the grease gland. Your cleaning regime has just pushed it up another level but it hasn't caused it.

You are definitely not dealing with a standard case; it is very much on the extreme side. And no, the grease gland is not your fault and it is also not something you could have prevented from happening. ;)

I would recommend that you also speak to your vet again.

Back