Reintroducing Guinea Pigs

Car.nelian

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there! Two of my girls, Mona and Mac, are a bonded pair, but had to be separated temporarily (at a vets request) due to Mona having some health issues. Mona was given the all clear earlier today, so I was wondering how exactly I should go about reintroducing them.

You will need to do a proper reintroduction. So put them in an area they’ve both not been. Just a pile of hay (and veg at usual feeding time) in the bonding area. No hides. You then need to thoroughly clean the cage they’ll be in, new bedding and rearrange it.

It’s not usually suggested that you separate on medical grounds. Sometimes it can be stressful for them. It can sometimes also lead to a break in their bond.

Good luck with the bonding and let us know how they get on 🤞🏾 ☺️ Hopefully they’ll get on like they used to before.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Good luck with the bonding. Hopefully they will go back together without any issues🤞

You will need to do a proper reintroduction. So put them in an area they’ve both not been. Just a pile of hay (and veg at usual feeding time) in the bonding area. No hides. You then need to thoroughly clean the cage they’ll be in, new bedding and rearrange it.

It’s not usually suggested that you separate on medical grounds. Sometimes it can be stressful for them. It can sometimes also lead to a break in their bond.

Good luck with the bonding and let us know how they get on 🤞🏾 ☺️ Hopefully they’ll get on like they used to before.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynami
I did introductions again, and they seem to be getting along :D I’m gonna keep an eye on them for the next few days, of course, but so far, they’re doing alright!

Back