Rehoming From Sspca

Edanomel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking at a pair of guinea pigs I want to rehome from the SSPCA. Wondered if someone could tell me roughly what the process is? I did call yesterday but the person I spoke to wasn't very clear and I get nervous on the phone so didn't ask everything!

I wanted to know if you are able to take them home on the same day you go to see them? This is mainly so I can prepare my 12 year old if we can't take them right away (he's autistic and won't understand if not prepared first). I'll be driving about an hour and a half away as my local SSPCA doesn't have any guinea pigs. Frustrating because I live a 2 minute drive from one!

I've also fallen in love with a pair on the website so I really hope they still have them as I'm not going to be able to visit until Wednesday :( ( well I'm available on Tuesday but they're closed).

Hi, I rehomed my three from the SSPCA in Lanarkshire a couple of months ago. I had phoned in advance, and let them know what I was interested in. On the day, they asked me questions, and gave me advice, and I was able to take them away. I knew a bit about guineas, and was confident handling them. I think they were trying to gauge that I knew what I was taking on, so I don't know if you would always get to take them at the time. You need to have proof of address and If you are not a home owner, you will also have to have your landlord's permission to have pets. (I saw a couple get turned away because they did not have this from their local authority). They charged me £15 for each piggy. They also give you the vet check that they have done and some written information, as well as a 10% off voucher for Pets at Home. Obviously, you will need to have something suitable to transport them in. Which ones are you hoping to get? Is it Finn and Frozen? I'm always looking at the website, and fell in love with those two.
My 7 year old grandson also has autism and he LOVES my piggies and is really gentle with them.
Good luck - I hope you get your piggies!

Hi, I've been looking at a pair of guinea pigs I want to rehome from the SSPCA. Wondered if someone could tell me roughly what the process is? I did call yesterday but the person I spoke to wasn't very clear and I get nervous on the phone so didn't ask everything!

I wanted to know if you are able to take them home on the same day you go to see them? This is mainly so I can prepare my 12 year old if we can't take them right away (he's autistic and won't understand if not prepared first). I'll be driving about an hour and a half away as my local SSPCA doesn't have any guinea pigs. Frustrating because I live a 2 minute drive from one!

I've also fallen in love with a pair on the website so I really hope they still have them as I'm not going to be able to visit until Wednesday :( ( well I'm available on Tuesday but they're closed).

Hi and welcome!

In England before your your adoption is approved, you need to pass a home check. I know from personal experience that the RSPCA requires to see the cage in its location to make sure that everything is compliant with their minimal requirements and that your set up is in a safe place. They do NOT come to check your home; unless you live in the kind of tip that they normally rescue animals from. The check usually takes the form of a friendly chat; they want to get a feel for you as person. Just be your normal self as much as possible and be honest and upfront. if there are suggestions, take them on board. They are being made for a good reason.
The home check is announced; if you have an autistic child that cannot deal with surprises, then that should hopefully be taken into consideration. Once your home check and paperwork has passed, then you can go and pick up your piggies either from the centre or a fosterer's home.
The process can take about 2-3 weeks depending on the branch; once it is started, the piggies in question are being reserved for you. if you feel that it is important that your son meets the piggies before you bring them home, please bring this up so you can work out the best way of staging a successful adoption.

All SSPCA and RSPCA branches are run indivicually, so requirements, practices and guinea pig knowledge can vary.

Our Wannabe and New Owners guide collections all comply with or surpass the criteria the RSPCA and SSPCA are looking out for.
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
New Owners' " How To" Starter Kit

Thanks for the replies! Really helpful. I ended up going in to see them and they've reserved them for me until Wednesday (cage is not arriving until Tuesday). They're so so sweet! They sat on my sons lap for ages, really content. I'll post a pic when I get home! Can't wait to pick them up.

I had the same process, a chat with the re-homing center, a questionnaire, home check and then brought the piggy home on foster for bonding. Once bonding was successful I officially adopted him :)

Exciting times! please let us know how you get on :)

How are these little beauties getting on?

Unfortunately we've had a couple of problems. Oreo had a lot of dominance behaviours towards Finn, which I was just keeping an eye on. But then a couple of days ago, I noticed Finn had a scab on his back and there was blood stain on his fur. So they're currently separated and I'm just doing lot of reading at the moment to see about re-introducing them. Other than that, they're doing really well! Finn is quite nervous and jumpy still. Oreo is a lot easier for handling and being picked up for cuddles. Love them both so much, can't believe I've waited so long to get piggies and just want loads now haha!

Unfortunately we've had a couple of problems. Oreo had a lot of dominance behaviours towards Finn, which I was just keeping an eye on. But then a couple of days ago, I noticed Finn had a scab on his back and there was blood stain on his fur. So they're currently separated and I'm just doing lot of reading at the moment to see about re-introducing them. Other than that, they're doing really well! Finn is quite nervous and jumpy still. Oreo is a lot easier for handling and being picked up for cuddles. Love them both so much, can't believe I've waited so long to get piggies and just want loads now haha!
Sorry to hear they're not getting on at the moment. Hopefully it will all work out. How old are they?

Back