Rehomed Piggies - Advice?

Cooper & Chris Farley

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the forum but very happy to be here. I adopted two 1 year old male abyssinian piggies at the beginning of March. Cooper is my sweet guy, likes pets but not cool with being picked up, although his previous owner would have cuddle time with him nightly. Chris is just now letting me pet him under his chin occasionally but it’s a rarity because he does nottt like a lot of attention, just very food motivated. Chris will sit in my lap during dinner (veggie) time and only let me pet him then, but when the food disappears he is OUT. Both of them are still pretty skittish around me.
I guess I’m just looking for any advice.. as it’s been about 3 months and I’m so scared they will never bond with me/they don’t like me or let me pick them up like their previous owner (who raised them from 4 weeks). 🥲
Anywho, any advice is much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

This all sounds very normal - piggies generally will never like being picked up as the act of being picked up cuts too close to their prey instinct. Some will sit and cuddle once they been picked up but many will never even want to do that. If Cooper lets you pet him under his chin then he trusts you and you do have a bond with him. The fact that Chris will sit with you also means you do have a bond with him.
It can help to herd them into a carrier and then pick them up from the carrier. Most will never like being picked up from their cage.

my two boys have been with me for three years and neither like being picked up, won't sit for cuddles. I could not pick them up from their cage even after all this time - its very normal. Herding them into a carrier is the only way I can get hold of them. It took one of them six weeks to trust me enough to take food from my hand but it took the other one a year and a half. Even now, three years on, my handling of them is isolated to just practical tasks such as nail clipping, hair clipping, weight checks etc because they just dont like it.

Hello and welcome to the forum It takes time. But sometimes they never really like it or get used to it. If they come up to you for food then they trust you. 😃. Would love to see some pictures. I have two boys. Percy and
Pepper.

Welcome to the forum.

This all sounds very normal - piggies generally will never like being picked up as the act of being picked up cuts too close to their prey instinct. Some will sit and cuddle once they been picked up but many will never even want to do that. If Cooper lets you pet him under his chin then he trusts you and you do have a bond with him. The fact that Chris will sit with you also means you do have a bond with him.
It can help to herd them into a carrier and then pick them up from the carrier. Most will never like being picked up from their cage.

my two boys have been with me for three years and neither like being picked up, won't sit for cuddles. I could not pick them up from their cage even after all this time - its very normal. Herding them into a carrier is the only way I can get hold of them. It took one of them six weeks to trust me enough to take food from my hand but it took the other one a year and a half. Even now, three years on, my handling of them is isolated to just practical tasks such as nail clipping, hair clipping, weight checks etc because they just dont like it.
This was incredibly encouraging! Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve been taking them to the vet to get their nails trimmed, as I’ve been too scared to attempt it on my own. Just gotta trust the process and continue to be patient. Thanks again!

Hello and welcome to the forum It takes time. But sometimes they never really like it or get used to it. If they come up to you for food then they trust you. 😃. Would love to see some pictures. I have two boys. Percy and
Pepper.
Thank you for being so kind. Happy to be here. And grateful for the advice. And yes! Here are my biscuits.. 4268C53A-E8F7-4996-A901-E36790116310.webp

Aw what beauties your boys are and welcome to the forum x
All piggies are individuals, as you have probably realised. Some love to be cuddled but by far not all of them. If they are happy on your lap eating then they trust you, no piggies like being picked up, it harks back to being stalked in the wild as they are prey animals. I find generally boars to be the cuddliest in my experience but it’s not always the case. If you gently talk to them by the cage and when you are about to pick them up they shouldn’t feel quite as scared. Can you use a cosy or box to get them out of the cage with. A blanket or tunnel to sit in/under while they are on your lap sometimes helps too along with food 😆

Aw what beauties your boys are and welcome to the forum x
All piggies are individuals, as you have probably realised. Some love to be cuddled but by far not all of them. If they are happy on your lap eating then they trust you, no piggies like being picked up, it harks back to being stalked in the wild as they are prey animals. I find generally boars to be the cuddliest in my experience but it’s not always the case. If you gently talk to them by the cage and when you are about to pick them up they shouldn’t feel quite as scared. Can you use a cosy or box to get them out of the cage with. A blanket or tunnel to sit in/under while they are on your lap sometimes helps too along with food 😆
Thank you for the advice! I tried to “distract” Cooper with food while attempting to pick him up under his tummy from his cage but it doesn’t work, just spooks him and he jumps down, away from me 😭 And Chris, not a chance.. he’ll barely let me pet him unless he’s in my lap with food! Hoping time will help them trust me more and more. Thanks again!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Gorgeous boys.
Welcome to the forum.

I have found with mine that the bond we have doesn’t depend on cuddles - none of them are cuddly pigs.
They are fine with being petted in the cage but hate being picked up.
I tend to pick them up in a tunnel just for the weekly weigh and check.
Occasionally Micah will sit and relax on my lap, Phoebe does not do cuddles of any description at any time while Priscilla has learnt to tolerate grooming and bum cleaning. This however, almost always, results in her seeing on me!

You do sound as if you have a good bond with your lovely boys.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Gorgeous boys.
Welcome to the forum.

I have found with mine that the bond we have doesn’t depend on cuddles - none of them are cuddly pigs.
They are fine with being petted in the cage but hate being picked up.
I tend to pick them up in a tunnel just for the weekly weigh and check.
Occasionally Micah will sit and relax on my lap, Phoebe does not do cuddles of any description at any time while Priscilla has learnt to tolerate grooming and bum cleaning. This however, almost always, results in her seeing on me!

You do sound as if you have a good bond with your lovely boys.
Thank you for your kindness and advice. Really appreciate your wisdom! ❤️

:wel: Your boys are gorgeous. If they don’t like being picked up with hands then try herding them into something. Make it a part of their weekly weighing and health check routine. It takes time for them to trust you - anywhere from weeks to months. You’ll just have to practise patience and learn to interact with them on their terms.
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

:wel: Your boys are gorgeous. If they don’t like being picked up with hands then try herding them into something. Make it a part of their weekly weighing and health check routine. It takes time for them to trust you - anywhere from weeks to months. You’ll just have to practise patience and learn to interact with them on their terms.
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information
Happy to be here. That link is incredibly helpful, thank you! ❤️

Back