Refused Help

Julia Rafferty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am new to this whole guinea pig thing so correct me if I’m wrong. Petco accidentally gave me a piggie with ring worm who prob gave it to my other piggie and family. They then had the ignorance to tell me they would only take responsibility for and help the one from their shop. Of course I am upset as this is affecting my whole family.They thought I was over reacting when I asked for them to take care of both my piggies! Now J have tons of questions like is it normal for him to get the ringworm just above his genitals (he was face humping the one with ring worm... of course) Is it also normal for it to be under the ears. Is it possible this will cause issues with his genitals? Petco also refused to help us get the piggie they sold us help with his toes. He had extra toe hanging by a thread. Please correct me if I am wrong but Petco should take some responsibility! Really need some support

I am new to this whole guinea pig thing so correct me if I’m wrong. Petco accidentally gave me a piggie with ring worm who prob gave it to my other piggie and family. They then had the ignorance to tell me they would only take responsibility for and help the one from their shop. Of course I am upset as this is affecting my whole family.They thought I was over reacting when I asked for them to take care of both my piggies! Now J have tons of questions like is it normal for him to get the ringworm just above his genitals (he was face humping the one with ring worm... of course) Is it also normal for it to be under the ears. Is it possible this will cause issues with his genitals? Petco also refused to help us get the piggie they sold us help with his toes. He had extra toe hanging by a thread. Please correct me if I am wrong but Petco should take some responsibility! Really need some support

Please complain to your local authorities. If petco is selling highly infective guinea pigs and guinea pigs with genetic deformities, then they are basically damaged wares and are deliberately risking the health of others. Guinea pigs are social animals and are expected to live in company. Best also send a letter of complaint to both the branch manager and to the headquarters.

Ringworm manifests usually just around the head (including the area around the ears), but it can appear elsewhere on the body depending on where a spore hits. It will not damage the genitals, but it would be advisable to treat with an oral medication if possible instead of a topical treatment, considering where the outbreak is.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus (contains a list of further treatments available in the US that goes past what we recommend as the most efficient ones in our guide)

Please complain to your local authorities. If petco is selling highly infective guinea pigs and guinea pigs with genetic deformities, then they are basically damaged wares and are deliberately risking the health of others. Guinea pigs are social animals and are expected to live in company. Best also send a letter of complaint to both the branch manager and to the headquarters.

Ringworm manifests usually just around the head (including the area around the ears), but it can appear elsewhere on the body depending on where a spore hits. It will not damage the genitals, but it would be advisable to treat with an oral medication if possible instead of a topical treatment, considering where the outbreak is.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus (contains a list of further treatments available in the US that goes past what we recommend as the most efficient ones in our guide)
Do you think coconut oil would work around his genitals? It worked for me in order to get rid of mine in my hair so I was just wondering if it was safe to try

Coconut oil does not cure ringworm. :(
It doesn’t? Maybe mine just went away with time then. Oh well. I talked to the vet and she said that she would have to look in to medicine for his genitals as most anti-fungul infection medicine could harm him:hmm:

It doesn’t? Maybe mine just went away with time then. Oh well. I talked to the vet and she said that she would have to look in to medicine for his genitals as most anti-fungul infection medicine could harm him:hmm:

Itraconazole (which is used orally) is the most effective. Here in the UK, many vets have started to use a cat medication called itrafungol in the last few years with good success. I have just used it with my Barri. Treating for ringworm is soooo much easier without the need for any topical (i.e. on the skin) treatment, apart from a bath after the end of the fungal infection to make sure that there are no spores sitting in the fur coat that can cause a new outbreak.
In my opinion that is what has so far caused outbreaks in my Tribe at least twice, but it has been so much easier to get on top of it in the last 5 years since itraconazole for oral medication has come on the scene! Any worries about side effects in guinea pigs have not materialised. It is not quite cheap, though!

You may want to ask your vet whether there is a comparable product on the market in the US. Especially considering the sensitive area - oral treatment get everywhere in the body, so you can avoid having to use any special treatments in very sensitive areas like he genitals or right next to the eye or inside the ears.

Itraconazole (which is used orally) is the most effective. Here in the UK, many vets have started to use a cat medication called itrafungol in the last few years with good success. I have just used it with my Barri. Treating for ringworm is soooo much easier without the need for any topical (i.e. on the skin) treatment, apart from a bath after the end of the fungal infection to make sure that there are no spores sitting in the fur coat that can cause a new outbreak.
In my opinion that is what has so far caused outbreaks in my Tribe at least twice, but it has been so much easier to get on top of it in the last 5 years since itraconazole for oral medication has come on the scene! Any worries about side effects in guinea pigs have not materialised. It is not quite cheap, though!

You may want to ask your vet whether there is a comparable product on the market in the US. Especially considering the sensitive area - oral treatment get everywhere in the body, so you can avoid having to use any special treatments in very sensitive areas like he genitals or right next to the eye or inside the ears.
Thank you so much, I will make sure to ask my vet

Back