• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red Wee

• Thread starter Thread starter Damonshumanslave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Damonshumanslave

One of my 6 piggies is weeing red stuff, blood I assume. I am going to the vets tomorrow, but I don't know which one to take. :(

I dont think its Peaches or Pixie, because it was happening before they arrived, and I dont think its Pepper because she has long white hair around her bum, so I think it would be stained.

So its either Damon, Peggy or Ruby.

Does anyone know if it's more likely to be a male or female? Or is there no difference?

Is it more likely to happen in an older pig? Peggy is older, but I dont know her exact age because she was a rescue. She always seems to be the one with health problems.

I spent hours trying to do that last night and this morning, but none of them will wee when I'm watching. I split their pen into sections and left them for an hour or so, but there was only normal wee when I looked. No red wee.

Maybe whoever has red wee doesnt have red wee every time?

I havent heard or seen any of them squeaking in pain while they wee.

Am I worrying over nothing?

I really don't know, I don't have any experience of this, but I hope you can get ot the bottom of it.. I guess you're sure it wasn't a bit of colour from their muesli, or a bit of reddish hay?

Our little girl Wen did this in the summer but only once. The vet said she thought it was prob a water infection and put her on baytril. Wen's fine now. Try not to worry too much. But if the vet does put one of them on baytril watch their food intake, Wen stopped eating for a little while. Hope you manage to find out which one before tomorrow, and hope they are better soon. :)

i have no idea either, best of luck, i hope everything will be ok.

Maybe I'll leave it a bit longer and try to figure out who it is.

I had this with Thomas (who is on my lap now) a while ago. It was cystitis and after a week of baytril twice a day she was better. It is more likely to be girls though I can't remember why right now ::). I noticed when Thomas actually had blood on her but it had been happening for a bit before that.

Try to look for any pain when passing urine (squeaking, discomfort etc) and any wetness around the private area :-\ O0

Not seeing any of those symptoms. ?

I may take Peggy to the vets, I having a feeling it'll be her.

Cant you take all 3? The vet will be able to manually empty their bladders and see which it is? Or at least look for aother symtoms? are any of them wet underneath? or off their food? x

Not sure I can afford to have all 3 checked over. :-\

none of them are off their food or got wet fur. :-\

maybe it's a good idea to pop peggy on some kitchen roll or newspaper for a little while then, see if she's pee's anymore.. ?

Has there been any more blood?.Was the urine red or a pinky colour?.Sometimes a sow will pass a one off pink urine when she is on heat.
If there is an infection or renal stones you will see the sow strain when urinating,she may also give a loud squeek.
It is difficult when this happens.I have 9 sows in one large pen ,so if I see any abnormal urine I have to seperate them one by one,and as you have already noticed they will play you up and refuse to cooperate.
I use a white towel or white vetbed as this will show up any red.I give the pig parsley and celery to eat,because these are diuretic.If they still do not pee,I give some water by syringe.If the bladder is full,they will have to go.
When I have established the culprit,I put her into a very clean plastic bowl and try and get a urine sample.The vet can do a simple stix test to see if there is any infection.
Septrin is the best anti-biotic for this.and do not forget to give a probiotic as well..
Good luck with the detective work!

Sammy's brother Snug was passing blood in his wee and it turned out to be a urinary infection. He did show other signs of being unwell in addition to the red wee though - he was looking rather subdued and not as eager for his food as usual.
It cleared up nicely with a course of Baytril.

Thankyou maryh.

I'm going to seperate Peggy for the night I think, and put her on a white towel. I'm convinced it will be her with the problem. I use white vetbed already, which is how I noticed the problem.

Soemtimes it's pink in colour, so it could be that some of the girls have been on heat. Once a few days ago it was really red though. I have been watching them really closely and thers no straining to wee or squeaking in pain.

I am going to the vets for the whole day tomorrow, for work experience, so if I take 3 of them with me they will all be squashed in a cat carrier together for the whole day. Its quite a big cat carrer, but I feel mean. Plus I dont want to burden the vet with 3 pigs to look at inbetween consultations! I dont want to take advantage!

Sammyroo, there dont seem to be any other signs, they all seem happy and well. ?

I know this may seem silly but do you feed your piggies plenty of beetroot? Just a though but when I give some to my pigs it does the same thing. But only because of the colouring in it. It also turns their poo a pinky colour!

I heard that vast amounts of grass or dandelion could discolour the urine too.

Hello again,

I seperated Peggy for the night, and there was some pale pink wee on her bedding this morning, but no bright red blood.

I took her in anyway, because she has mammary lumps that havent been checked for a while and have been spreading.

The vet put a needle in her bladder and took a urine sample. There was no blood in it, but the vet belives the blood is coming from her ovaries and is being picked up by the urine on the way through. He says he can feel her ovaries, and they feel enlarged. He thinks its ovarian cysts. This would also explain the mammary lumps.

The only solution would be to spay her and remove all of the lumps. This could take about 3 ops (theres a lot of lumps) and nither me nor the vet feels it is worth it. Peggy seems happy and healthy otherwise, and its not affecting her quality of life. I dont want to put her through it. If I felt she was hurting or in discomfort I perhaps would have made a different decision.

Ask your vet to try Choralon ,HCG inj.these will often shrink the cyst,but they do not always work.They are worth trying though.I agree with you that it is best to leave the cysts alone,unless they are causing problems.I have found that it is unusual for them to do this.Spaying,hysterectomy,is very major surgery for piggies.

Thanx, will mention that to the vet.

The vet has given me baytril for her, just in case he is wrong. I'll keep an eye on her food intake while she's on it. If it clears it up I know the vet was wrong, but I dont think he is because of the mammary lumps.

I'm definetley not going through with the surgery. She's a rescue piggy that has been through a lot, and has had a lot of bad luck. I don't want to put her through anymore. She deserves a happy quiet life, and thats what shes going to get.

Spaying is major surgery and it is a last resort but I've never heard it take 3 ops before. A competent vet should be able to remove cystic ovaries and the uterus in one go.

I would certainly find out about the HCG injections, it could well make your pig more comfortable.

he said one op for the spaying, but removing mammary lumps would take 2 ops, as she has some right at the top of her chest and some at the bottom.

I will deffo ask about those injections. Thanx guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back