• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red lumps on Guinea pig

Emmyyy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just got out my pig and found some red lumps on his back, I was away for 4 days and didn’t notice them before then so I’m assuming they must have come on quite quickly.

They are hard, red and the skin around is crusty.

I have found 3 big ones and one quite small one.

I’m just wondering if there was anything I should be doing ti treat it, if anyone knows what it is and if I should be concerned, I’ll attach some pictures here:

I don’t think she’s loosing any fur around it, I’ve moved the fur out the way, but I could be wrong as it doesn’t seem to want to move back again.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    164.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    134.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    157.1 KB · Views: 1
I think they are probably scabs from when i was bringing them home (acorn was climbing on top of him) but I just want to be sure incase its not.

Hi, have they been to boarding while you have been away? I take it they’re both boars? I’m wondering if they could in fact be bite marks from Acorn especially if they have been kept in a hutch / cage that is too small?

It could also be mites or fungal

Either way, I’d have them both vet checked who will be able to diagnose and prescribe the correct treatment. If they’re bite marks from Acorn, he would benefit from antibiotics to prevent infection and a painkiller such as metacam x

Hello everyone, I just got out my pig and found some red lumps on his back, I was away for 4 days and didn’t notice them before then so I’m assuming they must have come on quite quickly.

They are hard, red and the skin around is crusty.

I have found 3 big ones and one quite small one.

I’m just wondering if there was anything I should be doing ti treat it, if anyone knows what it is and if I should be concerned, I’ll attach some pictures here:

I don’t think she’s loosing any fur around it, I’ve moved the fur out the way, but I could be wrong as it doesn’t seem to want to move back again.

Hi

They look like scabs from bite marks to me?

If in any doubt, please see a vet; especially if you notice signs of infection (abscess) like redness, swelling and hot to the touch.

Last edited:
Plenty of dried blood? If there is infection under the scabs they could turn into septic cysts. The hair has been pulled out?

Plenty of dried blood? If there is infection under the scabs they could turn into septic cysts. The hair has been pulled out?
the hair doesn’t seem to have been pulled out, I think it’s just been pushed out of the way, how do I know if there’s an infection?

the hair doesn’t seem to have been pulled out, I think it’s just been pushed out of the way, how do I know if there’s an infection?

Please red my previous post; I have listed the symptoms to look out for in here.

Back