• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Recurring UTI Trouble

PoptartShop

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't posted on here in a while because life's been busy, but I am having a recurring issue with one of my piggies. :(

This may be long so I apologize. This is Ginger, I rescued her in 2021 from a pretty filthy living situation. She is also a petite piggy, I'm assuming from malnutrition as a baby. She also had bad urine scald when I got her, loss of fur, had like no bedding or much food in her previous home, it took awhile for the urine scald issues to clear up but ever since she's been healthy and happy. She is a pretty smart pig and I love her so much. She will be 3 in September. She is currently housed with a younger piggie and they are so close.

Let me preface this by saying she's on Oxbow pellets, unlimited timothy hay/sometimes a mixture of orchard and timothy, and fresh veggies daily. I used to use fleece bedding in the past but switched to bedding as it's been easier for me and I currently use paper based bedding and change any soiled bedding daily (it's pretty absorbent luckily!) and deep clean the cage every 4-5 days but also always make sure to replenish ANY soiled bedding daily and keep everything CLEAN and DRY.

However, in April of this year, I ended up having to take her to the vet (who I am very thankful for, my vet is great and they take exotics seriously and have been wonderful with all my piggies I have taken there) because I suspected a UTI. She had blood in her urine and was starting to sulk and not really eat, so I fed her recovery food and whatnot and then the vet prescribed antibiotics & NSAIDs (metcam and sulf - has a long name lol) for about 10 days with probiotics as well (Benebac) as needed. They took X rays, no bladder stones or sludge and no crystals.

It cleared up pretty quickly and she was fine after. Then in June (about a month ago), she ended up with the same symptoms. Took her back to the vet immediately. No x-rays but they didn't find any crystals and decided to prescribe the same meds, she healed up wonderfully again. Also started giving her cucumber (not daily) and her water is also filtered.

Now, it is July almost a month later and she is experiencing the same symptoms. AGAIN!
Forgot to mention she's not squeaking when she urinates or squealing, but there IS some blood/pink. Her bum is dry as well due to the cage being cleaned so often, again I take that very seriously especially for her needs.

SO! I'm taking her to the vet this afternoon and will keep you guys posted on what they say - I'm sure they will do X-rays this time too. But, any suggestions on what I can do to help PREVENT this? Or is it just a chronic thing? I feel bad since it's starting to happen more often. 🙁 Anyone have any similar experiences?!

Signed, a worried pig mama.

IMG_6780.jpegIMG_7019.jpeg

Hi everyone. I haven't posted on here in a while because life's been busy, but I am having a recurring issue with one of my piggies. :(

This may be long so I apologize. This is Ginger, I rescued her in 2021 from a pretty filthy living situation. She is also a petite piggy, I'm assuming from malnutrition as a baby. She also had bad urine scald when I got her, loss of fur, had like no bedding or much food in her previous home, it took awhile for the urine scald issues to clear up but ever since she's been healthy and happy. She is a pretty smart pig and I love her so much. She will be 3 in September. She is currently housed with a younger piggie and they are so close.

Let me preface this by saying she's on Oxbow pellets, unlimited timothy hay/sometimes a mixture of orchard and timothy, and fresh veggies daily. I used to use fleece bedding in the past but switched to bedding as it's been easier for me and I currently use paper based bedding and change any soiled bedding daily (it's pretty absorbent luckily!) and deep clean the cage every 4-5 days but also always make sure to replenish ANY soiled bedding daily and keep everything CLEAN and DRY.

However, in April of this year, I ended up having to take her to the vet (who I am very thankful for, my vet is great and they take exotics seriously and have been wonderful with all my piggies I have taken there) because I suspected a UTI. She had blood in her urine and was starting to sulk and not really eat, so I fed her recovery food and whatnot and then the vet prescribed antibiotics & NSAIDs (metcam and sulf - has a long name lol) for about 10 days with probiotics as well (Benebac) as needed. They took X rays, no bladder stones or sludge and no crystals.

It cleared up pretty quickly and she was fine after. Then in June (about a month ago), she ended up with the same symptoms. Took her back to the vet immediately. No x-rays but they didn't find any crystals and decided to prescribe the same meds, she healed up wonderfully again. Also started giving her cucumber (not daily) and her water is also filtered.

Now, it is July almost a month later and she is experiencing the same symptoms. AGAIN!
Forgot to mention she's not squeaking when she urinates or squealing, but there IS some blood/pink. Her bum is dry as well due to the cage being cleaned so often, again I take that very seriously especially for her needs.

SO! I'm taking her to the vet this afternoon and will keep you guys posted on what they say - I'm sure they will do X-rays this time too. But, any suggestions on what I can do to help PREVENT this? Or is it just a chronic thing? I feel bad since it's starting to happen more often. 🙁 Anyone have any similar experiences?!

Signed, a worried pig mama.

View attachment 253204View attachment 253203

Hi

Have you and your vet every heard of sterile or institial cystitis? It is now much more common in indoors guinea pigs but since it has been around for a relatively short time, it is still pretty much unknown outside vet circles seeing lots of guinea pigs on a regular basis. 'Sterile' means non-bacterial - it can only temporarily suppressed by antibiotics but not healed. However, if it can be suppressed, then you are dealing with the mild to medium form of sterile cystitis.

For any vet not experienced, sterile cystitis is very similar to feline sterile cystitis (FSC) and the treatment also mirrors it, minus the calming part since rodents react differently to pheromones.

Please take the time to read this link here and if needed, also show the relevant chapter to your vet. . It explains it all, including management: Wiebke's Guide to Pees and Stones

All the best.

Hi

Have you and your vet every heard of sterile or institial cystitis? It is now much more common in indoors guinea pigs but since it has been around for a relatively short time, it is still pretty much unknown outside vet circles seeing lots of guinea pigs on a regular basis. 'Sterile' means non-bacterial - it can only temporarily suppressed by antibiotics but not healed. However, if it can be suppressed, then you are dealing with the mild to medium form of sterile cystitis.

For any vet not experienced, sterile cystitis is very similar to feline sterile cystitis (FSC) and the treatment also mirrors it, minus the calming part since rodents react differently to pheromones.

Please take the time to read this link here and if needed, also show the relevant chapter to your vet. . It explains it all, including management: Wiebke's Guide to Pees and Stones

All the best.
Yes! They did mention this last time I went in June that it may be a possibility if it keeps occurring.

Since it is, I will discuss this with them this afternoon as well when I go. Thank you. This is helpful.

Update, spoke to my vet about IC and they agreed it's a possibility and decided to put her on Metcam again but no antibiotics this time, just the anti inflammatory to see how she does, for a few weeks and slowly weaning her off. They gave me a few refills for if this happens again (a flare).

We shall see, I'm hopeful but where can I find info on the IC diet? Want to help her as much as I can with this. Thank you! :)

Update, spoke to my vet about IC and they agreed it's a possibility and decided to put her on Metcam again but no antibiotics this time, just the anti inflammatory to see how she does, for a few weeks and slowly weaning her off. They gave me a few refills for if this happens again (a flare).

We shall see, I'm hopeful but where can I find info on the IC diet? Want to help her as much as I can with this. Thank you! :)

Hi

With growing experience in more recent years and our own piggies, there is no specific IC diet. What can trigger a flare is any new - especially - fresh food. Especially fresh grass can be tricky if you cannot feed a very little all year round. But there has been no consistency otherwise.

If you reduce the calcium levels further, then this can take you out of your sweet spot in the diet and it can cause further trouble with stones/sludge. IC itself doesn't cause stones.

What is crucial in treating sterile cystitis is the glucosamine support. It is more effective in getting a flare down faster if you shortly up your glucosamine for 2-3 days than if you max out the metacam, as I have found out when I experimented with flare control with a piggy of my own to see which component would help more.
It is going to take some weeks for the glucosamine to build up but unless you have one of the more severe forms, your piggy should be eventually symptom-free in between flares, which happen every few weeks. In milder cases, the time between flares will lengthen and eventually the IC will go away on its own, never to return.
We recommend Johnson's 4joints dog liquid for UK members - it is easiest to give and widely available (0.4 ml for a 1 kg piggy once daily; adjust the dosage according to weight). It is also stronger than Oxbow joint care supplement, which is the most widely available.

PS: Companions with a strong immune system can fend it off with their own natural defence without ever developing symptoms.

Thank you both, very helpful as I'm navigating through this 'new normal' for her.

This is not the update that I wanted to give, but as of right now, Ginger is declining.

I took her to the vet again and they said while it has pointed to IC, she may have something else going on in her bladder or kidneys, hard to tell and surgery may be an option but that is too risky especially for her size and I do not want to put her through that. No way especially not now while she is really poorly. :( She has started to twitch a little and she is weakening. I spoke with the vet again today since she has declined further, even though she has had some good moments today (she is a tough cookie) I've been feeding recovery food (not forcing, as much as she will allow) and syringing her water and a little cucumber we upped her pain meds (per vet) a little for pain management and are keeping her as comfortable as we can. She is surrounded by love. If I have to I will take her in to get her PTS but I am hoping she will pass peacefully at home, as she is as comfortable as she can be right now in a blanket on my lap getting lots of cuddles.

I know that I did everything that I could and more for her, it is very upsetting but things took a turn for the worse. 😣 I love her so much and I let her know it is ok to cross over the bridge when she is ready.

This is not the update that I wanted to give, but as of right now, Ginger is declining.

I took her to the vet again and they said while it has pointed to IC, she may have something else going on in her bladder or kidneys, hard to tell and surgery may be an option but that is too risky especially for her size and I do not want to put her through that. No way especially not now while she is really poorly. :( She has started to twitch a little and she is weakening. I spoke with the vet again today since she has declined further, even though she has had some good moments today (she is a tough cookie) I've been feeding recovery food (not forcing, as much as she will allow) and syringing her water and a little cucumber we upped her pain meds (per vet) a little for pain management and are keeping her as comfortable as we can. She is surrounded by love. If I have to I will take her in to get her PTS but I am hoping she will pass peacefully at home, as she is as comfortable as she can be right now in a blanket on my lap getting lots of cuddles.

I know that I did everything that I could and more for her, it is very upsetting but things took a turn for the worse. 😣 I love her so much and I let her know it is ok to cross over the bridge when she is ready.

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. As owners we can unfortunately do only so much. You haven't failed her and you are not failing her now. She is lucky to have found such a caring and loving owner.

You may find this very practical guide link below helpful in talking you through the natural dying process, which is much more physical than most owners expect to, who have never experienced it before. Some stages can sometimes be rather distressing when you don't understand what is going on.
It is a guide that I am never happy to link in and that has been by far the most difficult one for me to write but all the rather scant information I could find is just skimming over the really sticky little points where some kind practical and constructive guidance is needed the most.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

She is going to meet my Heilin at the Bridge who has arrived there yesterday somewhat unexpectedly, so please excuse me if I am keeping this short.
My sympathies and thoughts are with you.

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. As owners we can unfortunately do only so much. You haven't failed her and you are not failing her now. She is lucky to have found such a caring and loving owner.

You may find this very practical guide link below helpful in talking you through the natural dying process, which is much more physical than most owners expect to, who have never experienced it before. Some stages can sometimes be rather distressing when you don't understand what is going on.
It is a guide that I am never happy to link in and that has been by far the most difficult one for me to write but all the rather scant information I could find is just skimming over the really sticky little points where some kind practical and constructive guidance is needed the most.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

She is going to meet my Heilin at the Bridge who has arrived there yesterday somewhat unexpectedly, so please excuse me if I am keeping this short.
My sympathies and thoughts are with you.
BIG hugs to you as well. I am so sorry for your loss. :( It is so hard especially when they go unexpectedly. Please take care of yourself.

Thank you. Unfortunately I've dealt with piggie deaths and it is never easy. That is very helpful to read, I needed that.

So Little Ginger does not seem to be in much pain now or discomfort since we upped the pain med dose (per vet), just still syringe feeding recovery food or mushed pellets as much as she allows, she's kinda over that and I don't blame her. Just keeping her comfy with lots of love and cuddles, she has lost weight since she's not eating on her own and her body is slowly shutting down. I know her time is near, spending as much time with her as I can. Thank you again.

Back