• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Recovery after a fall

KellyM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
Our GP jumped from my daughter’s knee last week after being startled by a sneeze. He immediately crawled away dragging his hind legs behind him.
We have had him at the vets where he has been examined and also had an xray. Nothing can been seen on the xray but that is not to say there may be a hairline fracture that hasn’t shown. He is eating well and drinking. Toilet habits are fine. He was prescribed 0.52ml x2 daily of Metacam (dog)

We are 6 days post accident, he is still mainly dragging his legs but there is movement as he is trying to push off with his feet. He hasn’t raised his hindquarters though.

He has a vet review in just over a week where they want to see a visible improvement.

Has anyone else’s piggies done anything similar and recovered? Many thanks x

Hi,
Our GP jumped from my daughter’s knee last week after being startled by a sneeze. He immediately crawled away dragging his hind legs behind him.
We have had him at the vets where he has been examined and also had an xray. Nothing can been seen on the xray but that is not to say there may be a hairline fracture that hasn’t shown. He is eating well and drinking. Toilet habits are fine. He was prescribed 0.52ml x2 daily of Metacam (dog)

We are 6 days post accident, he is still mainly dragging his legs but there is movement as he is trying to push off with his feet. He hasn’t raised his hindquarters though.

He has a vet review in just over a week where they want to see a visible improvement.

Has anyone else’s piggies done anything similar and recovered? Many thanks x

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry. What a nasty shock! Sudden blind jumps are not predictable. Please either cuddle piggies sitting on the floor or sitting well back in a chair/sofa.

Unfortunately, recovery from spinal injuries can be very unpredictable; it really depends on whether there is damage to the spine or nerves or not. I hope that with any swelling/bruising going down, his mobility is going to slowly return and improve.

But you may find our care tips for guinea pigs with no or reduced mobility helpful. It continues very practical tips.

Please also monitor for weight loss. Over three quarters of the daily food intake should be hay.

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry. What a nasty shock! Sudden blind jumps are not predictable. Please either cuddle piggies sitting on the floor or sitting well back in a chair/sofa.

Unfortunately, recovery from spinal injuries can be very unpredictable; it really depends on whether there is damage to the spine or nerves or not. I hope that with any swelling/bruising going down, his mobility is going to slowly return and improve.

But you may find our care tips for guinea pigs with no or reduced mobility helpful. It continues very practical tips.

Please also monitor for weight loss. Over three quarters of the daily food intake should be hay.
Thank you, I’ve read quite a lot on fall / jump injuries since it happened and we’re trying to remain positive. He has a healthy appetite and is eating everything we give him, he’s still eating his hay and drinking water. He is slowly showing movement in his legs. I was wondering if there was anything else we should be doing the muscle fatigue, gentle massage, hydrotherapy to help him. He normally free roams so is on cage rest while he recovers but I'm unsure if there is anything else we should be doing in the meantime or do we let time help him heal alone

Thank you, I’ve read quite a lot on fall / jump injuries since it happened and we’re trying to remain positive. He has a healthy appetite and is eating everything we give him, he’s still eating his hay and drinking water. He is slowly showing movement in his legs. I was wondering if there was anything else we should be doing the muscle fatigue, gentle massage, hydrotherapy to help him. He normally free roams so is on cage rest while he recovers but I'm unsure if there is anything else we should be doing in the meantime or do we let time help him heal alone

Gentle massage will help but please also adapt the cage re. hay and water plus daily bum care and changes in bedding; cutting vetbed bedding into squares which you can just exchange 2-3 times daily is important.

Please take the time to read the mobility care link; it is important to minimise the knock-on effects and to keep him dry and clean because he cannot move away easily. You also need to check the food and water intake (he may struggle to drink from a bottle) daily by weighing first thing in the morning for best day to day comparison. Please never just go by eye, especially not with hay.

We don't recommend DIY hydrotherapy. Just give it time; the same as recovery from sudden back leg paralysis. of course you want him healthy and mobile again but it is not something you can push. If you do too much, you can do more harm than good.

Gentle massage will help but please also adapt the cage re. hay and water plus daily bum care and changes in bedding; cutting vetbed bedding into squares which you can just exchange 2-3 times daily is important.

Please take the time to read the mobility care link; it is important to minimise the knock-on effects and to keep him dry and clean because he cannot move away easily. You also need to check the food and water intake (he may struggle to drink from a bottle) daily by weighing first thing in the morning for best day to day comparison. Please never just go by eye, especially not with hay.

We don't recommend DIY hydrotherapy. Just give it time; the same as recovery from sudden back leg paralysis. of course you want him healthy and mobile again but it is not something you can push. If you do too much, you can do more harm than good.
Hi, just want to provide an update. 8wks on from the jump our boy is nearly fully recovered. He is to remain on Metacam for the time being but he is able to walk fully on his hindquarters and is now a lot more active x

Hi, just want to provide an update. 8wks on from the jump our boy is nearly fully recovered. He is to remain on Metacam for the time being but he is able to walk fully on his hindquarters and is now a lot more active x

Thank you for the update. That is such wonderful news! It's made my day.

That's great! So glad he recovered fully! Sometimes nerve injuries just take some time and tender loving care!

Back