• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

recovering from anaesthetic

• Thread starter Thread starter Mandy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mandy

Hi all,
My guinea pig had his teeth done on monday and is still not recovering very well. He was let out on tuesday morning and have been syringe feeding him since, he brightened up at first and was nibbling bits but today seems to have gone down hill again. I am waiting for vet to call me back but was wondering if anyone else has had problems after anaesthetic. I am in two minds as to whether it was his teeth causing problems anyway, he has had these "off" days where he goes off food and hides in corner, i have been treating him with metacam and zantac and after a day he was normal again. After several more of these episodes the vet assumed was teeth but now he not improving after the op i am wondering if it something else. He is 6 years old now so i no he not a spring chicken but he usually so full of energy. I'm also concerned he may be lonely as he is my only baby now(you may remember my posts about his fellow friends).
I dont know what to do i am so worried, wish vet would hurry up and ring back
Mandy

I wish I had something contructive to say :-\ The only experience I have of anaesthetic is from a rabbit with tooth problems and he was always up and about a couple of hours after his ops and completely back to his normal self. fingers crossed for you and I'm sure the vet will be ringing you back really soon.
sammy xx

Do you know what aneasthetic the vet used.?.,as this can make a difference.Why did the vet use aneasthetic to do teeth anyway>?,were the teeth in a very bad state?

You say he has had "off" days previous to the op,so there may well be something else underlying the dental problem.

The mouth will always be sore for a few days after dentals and I find that Daktarin gel is soothing.

I have not heard of a piggy being given Zantac(Ranitidine) before.Why is he on this?

No his teeth werent too bad just one was fractured and taken out. I think it was just presumed his off days were down to a dental problem. He has had several of these off days and always seemed better after the meds. I dont know why zantac was used altho it has worked for him. I am almost sure it is something else now but what is the question. What worries me now is now that they have messed with his teeth am i going to have problems with them in future. Like Sammy i had rabbits with dental problems and always came round very fast. I'm getting worried tho as he is losing weight everyday

Mandy, sorry I have no advice for you.
Just hoping the vet gets back to you soon and sending {{{{{hugs}}}}}
Anne. xx

If he is losing weight are you handfeeding?

I would check with the vet on the anaesthetic. If it was a safe gas used (isoflurane/sevoflurane) then that should have been out of the system within hours.

I presume it was an inscissor that was removed?.This will grow back very quickly.In the meantime it will be dificult for him to pick up and tear the food.Cut all the veggies into matchstick slithers,and place on the molars.He should be able to chew o.k.It is normally only the molars that overgrow quickly.The reason for the weight loss is obviously because he is not eating enough.Encourage him to eat a lot of hay and dried grass.

well i have taken Mr Pickles back in to vets, they are gonna keep him in and continue to syringe feed him and also give him more painkillers, which i wouldnt be able to do at home. Just keeping fingers crossed.
I forgot to ask about what type anaesthetic was used but I'm sure it would have been suitable for him, i have to say the vets i use are very good. I have had a bad few months with my guinea pigs and rabbit and they always try everything.
Anyway gonna be a long night again with worry
Just gotta hope and pray now
Mandy

I had problems with Sooty after having anesthetic and in the end he had to be pts. He didn't pick up and took him back and they gave him more injections. They ended up taking him in and he started to pick up once being put on a drip but then he started taking seizures and in the end it was kinder to let him go as he wouldn't stop taking seizures. The vet has never saw anything like it and only thing they could think of was that he ended up with a blood clot from the anesthetic and it went to his brain. The other 3 were fine after recovering from anesthetic. Hope everything goes well with him.

Anesthetics are not usually necessary for most dental procedures if you see someone like Vedra, but as most vets don't have her experience it can be difficult. If you and your piggy could make the trip I think it's worth seeing someone like Vedra particularly where teeth are concerned, but if not she might be able to tell you if there's someone closer to you who can do dentistry without anesthetic?

Although you need to figure out if it is just his teeth or if it's something else bothering him, oxbow critical care will help to keep his digestion running smoothly and keep his weight up so that he feels better and stronger in himself. In my experience once guineas stop eating and begin to lose weight you have to act fast.

Here's the link for critical care, which is for syringe feeding: http://www.penstone-petstore.co.uk/...s__Minerals___Probiotics_121.html&CatalogBody

Hope he gets well soon!

hello mandy,
hoping your baby is getting better. maryh mentioned critical care for when my zoe had her surgery 3 days ago. what is this? as here in adelaide south austrlia i have never heard of it. we have had 6 guinea pigs 5 girls and 1 boy, and they have never had their teeth done. vets have always checked their teeth but always said teeth were alright. got faline the bunny who gets spurs but in time they go away. sending hugs and cuddles to you and your piggy. please keep us updated. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Well Mr Pickles stayed in vets last night but have sent him home again as he eaten veg in there. But I'm still not happy, he seems a bit brighter but still nothing like he should be. Altho he has put on a bit of weight so gonna see how things go tomos, let him settle down again and hope he improves, had a fair bit of grass so hoping that may perk him up a little. So awful seeing a usually very happy piggie so down :'(
Anyway will keep you updated thanks for all posts
Mandy

so glad you baby is home. as you know him best you would know if something was wrong. make notes of what is worrying you about pickles and ask your vet when you see them. sending love and prayers your way for pickles to get better. :) :smitten:

Mandy did mention in an earlier message that the piggy is on Metacam.,but she did not state the dose.

Thanks Mary, just wondered if they'd changed the painkiller since he'd been in :)

Hi, mr pickles dose of metacam was raised from one drop to two drops each day now. I dont know what else he was given on the night he was admitted. His zantac dose is now 3 times a day also at 0.3ml.He is eating small amounts of grass on his own but he is just not interested in anything else, obviously continuing with critical care but I'm afraid i cant see him getting over this and fear I'm gonna have to make that horrible decision in time. I'm so worried everything i can do I'm doing but it still doesnt feel enough. If i take him back in they wont do anything than what i doing at home and he a lot happier in his own environment. Just gotta keep hoping and praying, and hope time will help. Fingers crossed
Mandyx

Mandy.

I also feel that piggies are happier in their own envirement.I use Metacam for my pigs but it is not a drug I like.,I wish there was an alternative.As far as I know at the moment the only alternative is Rimydal which also has side effects.Metacam is a 24 hour drug and unless the piggy is in bad pain I only give it every day for 3 or 4 days.I then go to alternate days and monitor the piggy carefully.\.

What area are you in?,I am just wondering if anyone here knows of a better vet for you.

I only know of long term side effects in Rimadyl, Metacam tends to make some pigs drowsy which isn't good if they don't want to eat. I would want to change painkillers if he were mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back