Recommended (safe) hay bags

FirstTimePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have recently got two girls (Poppy and Ebony) and are smitten with them. They are living indoors in a C&C. Whilst they have only been with us a couple of weeks, they have started to poo/wee in a particular corner of their cage so I am trying out a litter tray - who knows if it will work?! What I have found now is that they are doing some poos in the tray but others (and wee) just outside (probably as they don't want to soil the hay I put in the tray). I was wondering if a hay bag might be the answer but would welcome thoughts - and recommendations of a safe one to buy. They also have plenty of hay to munch in their hideys and elsewhere so still plenty of foraging opportunities :-)

Or are hay bags a no-no? Trying to do the best for my girls :-)

Depends on your perspective, the bag you choose and the piggies.

Some piggies like to use them and their owners prefer them.
For some they pose a risk - I have seen the odd post about piggies trying to climb inside them.
For other piggies, they won’t bother touching hay which is ‘restricted’ and harder work to get to particularly if they’ve still got loose hay/foraging options elsewhere in the cage.

My four piggies certainly are not ones to want their hay in any kind of holder - they want to get right inside hay piles (Wilbur and Hugo are particularly fond of this - most of the time I can’t find them until the hay moves!).

Maybe I'll just leave things as they are then and see how they go. I could always get an even bigger tray if they continue to use. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts

Hello and welcome :wel:

Your piggies are so fortunate to have you as their hooman, you clearly want the best for them and want them to be happy.

I personally don't use a hay bag as I'd be worried my piggies would try to climb in and not be able to get out or might get hurt. I also use a litter tray and my boys like to lay in the tray and eat, (such lazy beasts) but I also have hanging hay balls that I stuff with hay and I know they have access to that which hasn't been peed on. Also, I've just bought them a large Rosewood Naturals I Love Hay Forage Cube and my boys are really loving that as there are holes on all four sides that piggies can access hay. Some photos on Amazon do show piggies getting into cube once some hay has been eaten but you can always stuff more hay inside and it's another source of unpeed-on hay.

You said that sometimes your girls pee outside their litter tray, from my experience, that is usually more a case of the piggies not having very good awareness of where their bottoms are :)) I've watched many times where my piggies have jumped into the litter tray but their bottoms are hanging out of the tray and their pee drips outside. They are trying their best though :roll:

Whatever you decide to try, introduce it when you are there watching them so if there are any issues, you can step-in if needed.

Enjoy your girls xx

We use potting trays like the one below lined with puppy pads and newspaper for our hay piles. They are large and definitely help to contain the mess.

1669308550618.webp

So I've ended up using two standard corner litter trays and that (touch wood) is working out really well so far. I pile hay in each so they can munch at the same time, and all the wees and most of the droppings seem to be going in there - so really easy to do a daily clean (and cage still seems fresh at weekly clean time). Let's just hope they don't change their ways on me!

Back