Recommended Carrier for car journeys

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I've got to take Ziggy to Northampton in the car to have his teeth looked at. After a year of slightly wonky incisors, during which he's been v closely monitored, it's now affecting his weight, so a trip is called for. I need a new carrier hopefully one large enough for two piggies. Bertie and Ziggy live side by side so Bertie can't come and hold his paw, but I'd like a carrier that could take two in the future.

I can't drive long distances, so this trip will be a challenge. I suspect it will be 3.5 to 4hrs each way and I'm staying overnight and taking the hospital cage with me for the hotel. Travelodge allows domestic pets for a supplement, so that makes it easier.

Anyway, I'd like a recommendation for a solid plastic top opening carrier please. It's so difficult to judge the size online.

I have two ordinary cat carriers from P@H they seem to do the job well for transporting my lot. That’s great you found a hotel that accepts guinea pigs. We used to use the Campanile Hotel in Northampton. I used the shower tray as their space and boxed it off with a suitcase. Took large fleece for the base and they were fine overnight. You can buy fabric fold out pens now which are great. Debbie at Teas is selling pet carriers at the moment for around £5 each

Hope it goes well for Ziggy and safe journey x

Hello! When I travel with my piggies, when needed, because I know it is a lot of stress (6-7 hours of travelling), I take them both on this carrier. They are both boars and they do just fine together! No fight or anything. I line it with a soft cloth, then line it with lots of soft hay, I put chayote (high watery squash because they dislike cucumber) and they go nibbling or sleeping the entire travel. I also take a bottle of water, and in the middle of the trip I offer water to both of them. I put it on the floor of the car because on the seat it shakes more. Also, I put a thin cloth covering the top a little, but I make sure the temperature is adequate and there is ventilation.

Zero problems so far, and when they arrive at their destination they either go straight to sleep or act normally walking around the cage.

My cage is the large size of this model.
Screenshot_20240928-064532.webp

I don’t travel long distance but I use regular cat carrier for both my rabbits and piggies

Hello! When I travel with my piggies, when needed, because I know it is a lot of stress (6-7 hours of travelling), I take them both on this carrier. They are both boars and they do just fine together! No fight or anything. I line it with a soft cloth, then line it with lots of soft hay, I put chayote (high watery squash because they dislike cucumber) and they go nibbling or sleeping the entire travel. I also take a bottle of water, and in the middle of the trip I offer water to both of them. I put it on the floor of the car because on the seat it shakes more. Also, I put a thin cloth covering the top a little, but I make sure the temperature is adequate and there is ventilation.

Zero problems so far, and when they arrive at their destination they either go straight to sleep or act normally walking around the cage.

View attachment 257426
This would be ok for a short vet trip 5-10 minutes but not 3-4 hours. The piggie needs room to move around

This would be ok for a short vet trip 5-10 minutes but not 3-4 hours. The piggie needs room to move around
They can move around, it is large enough for them, I got the largest one, the cage is almost the same, just a bit different, btw the size I have it is not available on the photo I sent, it is a model only available in my country

View attachment 257426
They can move around, it is large enough for them, I got the largest one, the cage is almost the same, just a bit different, btw the size I have it is not available on the photo I sent, it is a model only available in my country
Just to let you know, the minimum cage size recommendation for two piggies is 2x4 ft or 120x60 cm.
This guide can help: Cage Size Guide

I use a big clear storage box (photo below) whenever we bring Bryce to C&R. I line it with fleece bedding and hay. I also bring a fleece bed for him. I don't put the lid though for easier access when I need to pick him up to be syringe fed. I also make sure the seatbelt is on the box to make it safer. I sit in the back seat with the piggies whenever we have to make a long journey so I can make sure they're safe, and hubby is the designated driver as always. 😁 It's quite a long journey from North Wales so I want the piggies to have a lot of space to move around. I just transfer them to the large cat carrier that we also bring along when we are already at the vets.

20240928_124904.webp

But if the journey is just going to the local vets or nearer, I just bring the piggies in the large cat carrier we have.

20240928_125651.webp

Just to let you know, the minimum cage size recommendation for two piggies is 2x4 ft or 120x60 cm.
This guide can help: Cage Size Guide
The cage I use for them is 150x100cm, by cage, I meant the carrier, the cage carrier I referred to and which I use to transport them is the same size as a dog carrier, but very identical to the photo I previously posted. In the cage carrier I use both of them can move around, and they got plenty of space to move. In the first comment I made, I just wanted to share my experience with long trips that I have had and that were only positive experiences.

This one is exactly which I use for traveling. It is 52x48cm. I don't know if it is available in other countries for this size 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240928-093950.webp
    Screenshot_20240928-093950.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It confirms my conclusion that a cat sized carrier would be best. Wiebke's guide suggests putting the carrier in the footwell rather than on a seat with a seatbelt, so I'll make sure it can fit in.

He'll be in the hospital cage overnight which is smaller than his c and c but OK for a night.

I have two ordinary cat carriers from P@H they seem to do the job well for transporting my lot. That’s great you found a hotel that accepts guinea pigs. We used to use the Campanile Hotel in Northampton. I used the shower tray as their space and boxed it off with a suitcase. Took large fleece for the base and they were fine overnight. You can buy fabric fold out pens now which are great. Debbie at Teas is selling pet carriers at the moment for around £5 each

Hope it goes well for Ziggy and safe journey x
I was surprised that some of the budget hotels (Travelodge and ibis) allowed 'domestic pets, although £20 supplement for vacuuming the odd stray poo or peiece of hay seems a lot. The shower sounds like a good idea though.

I just hope that, having gone over a year with wonky teeth without ill effects I won't have to make the trip too often. He's still eating but his hay intake has reduced. There's nothing wrong with the speed at which he can eat veggies and he happily eats recovery food from a bowl. I just wish we didn't have to wait 2.5 weeks for an appointment.

Oh I thought it was one of those weeny ones 😁

This one is exactly which I use for traveling. It is 52x48cm. I don't know if it is available in other countries for this size 🙂
That's bigger than some of the cat carriers online. I like the idea of a see through lid and top opening. Thank you

That's bigger than some of the cat carriers online. I like the idea of a see through lid and top opening. Thank you
Yes, it is a little larger than a cat carrier but very hard to find. I almost bought a cat-sized carrier (which it would be the best option at the moment), but I came across this one in a store here in my area in the last moment, and it was the last one in stock. No problems so far.

I was surprised that some of the budget hotels (Travelodge and ibis) allowed 'domestic pets, although £20 supplement for vacuuming the odd stray poo or peiece of hay seems a lot. The shower sounds like a good idea though.

I just hope that, having gone over a year with wonky teeth without ill effects I won't have to make the trip too often. He's still eating but his hay intake has reduced. There's nothing wrong with the speed at which he can eat veggies and he happily eats recovery food from a bowl. I just wish we didn't have to wait 2.5 weeks for an appointment.
Aw, poor Ziggy, Ted was the same, could eat veggies but went off hay. Simon had him eating hay on his first visit so 🤞hopefully the same for Ziggy. £20 is a bit steep but it’s the piece of mind you are not going to get sent away. We told the manager on the first visit to the hotel that we had travelled such a long away for Ted to see an expert and he was most accommodating. We popped everything in a suitcase that they needed for the night, which was easier than in bags. We got a bath once which worked ok too once they realised they could not climb out, a shower enclosure worked the best though. Don’t forget to take a small water dish, I forgot the first time and had to use a lid off face cream 😂

You can top him up with a bit of critical care if you think he is losing weight. Simon or Kim are great, you will find out what the problem is and get it sorted quickly

Aw, poor Ziggy, Ted was the same, could eat veggies but went off hay. Simon had him eating hay on his first visit so 🤞hopefully the same for Ziggy. £20 is a bit steep but it’s the piece of mind you are not going to get sent away. We told the manager on the first visit to the hotel that we had travelled such a long away for Ted to see an expert and he was most accommodating. We popped everything in a suitcase that they needed for the night, which was easier than in bags. We got a bath once which worked ok too once they realised they could not climb out, a shower enclosure worked the best though. Don’t forget to take a small water dish, I forgot the first time and had to use a lid off face cream 😂

You can top him up with a bit of critical care if you think he is losing weight. Simon or Kim are great, you will find out what the problem is and get it sorted quickly
I'm topping him up with CC and a few pellets ( they don't usually have them) which he happily eats from a bowl and I'm keeping meticulous records of the amount of top up food and weight. I don't want to fill him up with CC and stop him eating any hay at all. It's a tricky balance. He's behaving like a happy guinea pig which is reassuring.

I'm topping him up with CC and a few pellets ( they don't usually have them) which he happily eats from a bowl and I'm keeping meticulous records of the amount of top up food and weight. I don't want to fill him up with CC and stop him eating any hay at all. It's a tricky balance. He's behaving like a happy guinea pig which is reassuring.
Yes getting that balance is key, although I think top ups often encourage them to eat. I used to offer Ted veggies and grass in the middle of a top up. They are amazing little animals, they have such a strong sense to live and just carry on happily don’t they, as though nothing is wrong. Not like us humans 😆

I know what you mean. I'm dying from a mild cold and he's behaving normally. I hope his teefies aren't too painful.
If he’s eating well then I shouldn’t think so 😊 Get we’ll soon, I’m recovering from Covid 🙄

Back