recommendations needed - a safe place for outdoors time

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hi all, me again! slightly different post this morning, i’m looking for advice on how to create a safe area for my girls to have some outside time! we have a few ideas but wanted to hear peoples thoughts/concerns as it gives us more to think about and consider!

so we have a little paved area out the back and was thinking about using this area as somewhere we can put the girls out. we are wanting to put them on a table first of all, so they aren’t on the paved floor, then do what we’ve done with grass trays and basically just gave a huge tray of grass with a run around it. however there are a few things we are worried about.. first of all, the roof is absolutely covered in moss that falls off onto the floor constantly, so was thinking we would have to get some sort of cover / lid over this table to prevent it from getting into the girl’s enclosure, does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? maybe a fly screen? i originally thought a gazebo, then remembered this would completely block any sort of sunlight (it moves over throughout the day, i would always provide some shade while they would be out there) getting on the run. so am a bit stumped here with what to do?

has anyone done something similar (a run on a table) and can recommend things to do this? or if you haven’t but you have ideas, i’d love to hear them!

thanks all🫶🏻

I assume you do not have any grass in your back garden?
Guinea pigs could go on pavement with a blanket or something on top. What is the table made of and how high is it? I assume it is perhaps placed on the floor.

If they were in a run realistically the mesh should be small enough to stop the moss. How often is the moss falling? You could put up some sort of butterfly netting etc, I use such for the vegetables I grow for my piggies.

I assume you do not have any grass in your back garden?
Guinea pigs could go on pavement with a blanket or something on top. What is the table made of and how high is it? I assume it is perhaps placed on the floor.

If they were in a run realistically the mesh should be small enough to stop the moss. How often is the moss falling? You could put up some sort of butterfly netting etc, I use such for the vegetables I grow for my piggies.

there is a garden but its not ours, dogs go on it and it’s completely full with weeds (some not suitable for piggies) we haven’t got a tablet yet, hence the post lol! table will be going on the floor and then run on table, just average table height. thats a good idea!

I would be more inclined to just allow them to be on the paver, perhaps covering a lot of it with a blanket or towel. If anything it might help keeps their nails trimmed.

I don't think I would like to have my piggies raised on a table, it just sounds somewhat unsafe (worst case scenario running through my head, although I know you would take the steps to make it as safe as possible), and I do not really see the benefit of it. I would rather put my money into getting some "outside" blanket or fleece than a table.

I think adding another layer of netting is a good idea, as you are right you wouldn't want to block out all the sun.
I was away to attach the thread above, but as you can see someone else has also covered the stone making it more comfortable for the pigs.

I have a wooden run for my piggies. We do have grass but when it’s damp, the piggies go on the patio. I just put a fleece down. They’re out today half on the patio and half on the grass so they don’t have too much grass The guinea pigs first time out this year

our patio isn’t clean though😩 its covered in moss stains and just don’t like the idea of them being on the floor as we have mice!

I would be more inclined to just allow them to be on the paver, perhaps covering a lot of it with a blanket or towel. If anything it might help keeps their nails trimmed.

I don't think I would like to have my piggies raised on a table, it just sounds somewhat unsafe (worst case scenario running through my head, although I know you would take the steps to make it as safe as possible), and I do not really see the benefit of it. I would rather put my money into getting some "outside" blanket or fleece than a table.

I think adding another layer of netting is a good idea, as you are right you wouldn't want to block out all the sun.
I was away to attach the thread above, but as you can see someone else has also covered the stone making it more comfortable for the pigs.

i don’t want them on the floor as we have mice.. i worry too much. their current cage is on a table so i don’t see why a run wouldn’t be safe just because it’s outside. thanks so much will definitely get some netting!

i don’t want them on the floor as we have mice.. i worry too much. their current cage is on a table so i don’t see why a run wouldn’t be safe just because it’s outside. thanks so much will definitely get some netting!
Actually I get that, my pigs are not on a table/raised so did not think of it like that.

If you can get a stable table then I do not see why it would not work. Just make sure you put down a blanket or something so they arent walking in their pee.

Actually I get that, my pigs are not on a table/raised so did not think of it like that.

If you can get a stable table then I do not see why it would not work. Just make sure you put down a blanket or something so they arent walking in their pee.

thats okay! yes of course!

In the Seasonal Care section there is a sticky post on keeping guinea pigs safe outside.
My Stone Age tech skills mean I have no idea how to link it.

An idea I've been toying with is making a guinea pig garden in an old Ferplast cage or similar. You could drill a few holes in the bottom, put in a bit of gravel and soil and seed it with grass. That way you have a portable grass area with a sturdy top that will keep pigs in and other things out.

It would not be huge but I think it could be a good solution for some situations.

An idea I've been toying with is making a guinea pig garden in an old Ferplast cage or similar. You could drill a few holes in the bottom, put in a bit of gravel and soil and seed it with grass. That way you have a portable grass area with a sturdy top that will keep pigs in and other things out.

It would not be huge but I think it could be a good solution for some situations.

oh what a fab idea!

Back