Recommendation

Mel P

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
Sadly I lost my handsome boy Guinea pig on Tuesday who was 2 years of age and feel heartbroken. I am really sad for my other boy who is also 2 and now alone. I’ve searched the internet looking for a rescue piggie or to foster but with no luck! Could anybody help me with this please I don’t mind travelling I’m in London but will drive out to Essex or further if it makes my pig happy. Mel x

I’m so sorry for your loss :( I agree with the above, contact the rescues directly as they don’t advertise all their pigs especially not singles. Would you consider having your remaining boy neutered so he could have a lady friend or two? Obviously after his 6 week post op safety wait

There's a piggy in Ilford - Essex! (East London) A boy, he's alone at a vet waiting for his forever home! He's a year old and apparently a very sweet boy, If you don't mind travelling to Essex, he's hopefully someone you could help?

There's another thread open about him.

I can probably pop to the vets for you (I work very close to them) and get a picture or some more information if you like?

Sorry you lost your piggy. I’m in a similar situation but with a single sow. I’ve been to a recommended rescue called this little piggy in Richmond who may well have some single boys - you can check their Facebook page. The woman running it is very experienced and (time permitting) will help with the bonding/comparability aspect the pigs to see if they get on before your take a new pig home. Hope you find someone.

Also there are guides on here about bereavement (both about the remaining pig’s needs and also how to manage as a human) which are good, if you haven’t seen them already.

Sorry you lost your piggy. I’m in a similar situation but with a single sow. I’ve been to a recommended rescue called this little piggy in Richmond who may well have some single boys - you can check their Facebook page. The woman running it is very experienced and (time permitting) will help with the bonding/comparability aspect the pigs to see if they get on before your take a new pig home. Hope you find someone.

Also there are guides on here about bereavement (both about the remaining pig’s needs and also how to manage as a human) which are good, if you haven’t seen them already.

Here are the links

Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Did you find a friend for your pig?

There's a piggy in Ilford - Essex! (East London) A boy, he's alone at a vet waiting for his forever home! He's a year old and apparently a very sweet boy, If you don't mind travelling to Essex, he's hopefully someone you could help?

There's another thread open about him.

I can probably pop to the vets for you (I work very close to them) and get a picture or some more information if you like?
Awww is there I’m only 10 minutes away from Ilford if he’s still there maybe I can go and visit him and find out a little bit more about him. Thank you for telling me

Did you find a friend for your pig?
Not yet - she’s met two so far but they didn’t get on, so we’re still looking.. hopefully it will work out soon. I hope you find a friend for your boy soon too.

Awww is there I’m only 10 minutes away from Ilford if he’s still there maybe I can go and visit him and find out a little bit more about him. Thank you for telling me
Yes! Let us know how it goes! Hopefully it goes well, because they are both in similar situations, with being alone. So hopefully a really sweet friendship comes from it!

It's always worth contacting local rescues to see which piggies might be coming up, rescues won't usually advertise singles as suitable for general rehoming and usually pair them up first before posting them as available.
But often rescues have waiting lists of piggies in need who arent advertised, but might be waiting with their original owner to be surrendered or waiting with a foster carer until they can find a friend.
Its well worth emailing rescues with your details, photos of your cage set-up, what your piggy's circumstances are and the sort of companion you are looking for- if the rescue approves you they may well be able to bring in a piggy from their waiting list to meet your bereaved lone piggy to try make a match? Its always worth asking, rescues often have extra piggies on the books waiting who might be brought in early as a single if they have a good chance of meeting a forever friend and going to a pre-approved home :)

Not yet - she’s met two so far but they didn’t get on, so we’re still looking.. hopefully it will work out soon. I hope you find a friend for your boy soon too.
How does your pig seem on her own please? Do you think she needs a friend? It’s so hard to know what to do

She’s not the same pig as she was before and she definitely needs a new friend. Her confidence is lower and she’s not doing the happy piggy things she was before, like zooming and popcorning. It’s taking us longer than we’d hoped but we will find someone for her and I think that once she gets a new friend she’ll perk up a lot and we will hopefully see the old Winnie back. The friend she lost (Betty) was a real personality, very outgoing and expressive, and although Winnie was the boss of the two, she clearly really needed Betty around. I’m still totally gutted we lost Betty and it won’t ever be quite the same with a new pairing, but at the same I can’t wait to get a friend for Winnie, it’s really sad to see her like this. And I know we’ll love the new one too once he or she arrives, even though it’s hard to imagine a newbie after what an amazing pig Betty was. Grief is so hard on the pigs and the humans! But others on here have said how actually getting a new pig can help with their healing too. It’s not a replacement by any means but I guess the start of a new era and a new friendship. I hope your piggy is doing ok.

So sorry for your loss and it’s lovely that you are thinking about your bereaved boy’s needs while your own grief is still raw.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
Hope you find your boy a suitable companion soon

Back