Recommend Me A Water Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothy&Coco

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since we have had Dorothy and Coco we have used the cheap plastic water bottles. The girls use it fine but I find they leak. I wondered if the glass ones were better? I initially stayed away from glass because I was worried about it getting dropped. But I tend to find me or my husband do their water in the morning while my daughter is washing their bowl and chopping the veg. So I think we would be ok with glass.

Please let me know of any good water bottles!

I had the glass ones for quite a long time and the piggies seemed to prefer them. One morning I came downstairs to discover one had emptied completely in the cage and I couldn't get the seal to work in it after that. A few weeks later the other one did the same. As they are so expensive I now have a couple of the plastic Crystal ones, at least if they give up working they are very cheap to replace. I got mine in the Range. These do drip a little bit as the room warms up when the central heating comes on. I also noticed they drip when the boys are in the garden in the summer if the sun goes on them. Other than that so far so good.

I have 3 of the plastic water bottles and recently got a glass one with a little plastic carrot in it, the guineas now only drink from the glass one and avoid the plastic ones. Don't know if this is because it's a bit bigger and lets more water out for them.

I use the Crystal plastic bottles and mine only leak when I have put them back in the cage after a refill, but they don't leak for very long. My hamsters have always used those bottles, but smaller ones.

I was always too afraid of glass ones in case I drop it. I can feel quite clumsy due to poor hand-eye coordination.

I had the glass ones for quite a long time and the piggies seemed to prefer them. One morning I came downstairs to discover one had emptied completely in the cage and I couldn't get the seal to work in it after that. A few weeks later the other one did the same. As they are so expensive I now have a couple of the plastic Crystal ones, at least if they give up working they are very cheap to replace. I got mine in the Range. These do drip a little bit as the room warms up when the central heating comes on. I also noticed they drip when the boys are in the garden in the summer if the sun goes on them. Other than that so far so good.
I hadn't even thought about it being related to changes in temperature but funny how it has got much worse recently. Will keep an eye and see if it is better over night when the heating is off.

I have 3 of the plastic water bottles and recently got a glass one with a little plastic carrot in it, the guineas now only drink from the glass one and avoid the plastic ones. Don't know if this is because it's a bit bigger and lets more water out for them.
I like the sound of the little plastic carrot!

That's the glass ones I had with the carrot. I tried an experiment with using a glass and a plastic one at the same time and the boys would only drink from the glass one. The spout is at a slightly different angle so I wondered if it was this, although I prefer the taste of water from glass rather than plastic, and tea from bone china than anything else, maybe piggies are just that fussy as well :)).

Last edited:
Have you tried filling them right up to the top as full as you can get it? We bought those same bottles last week and had the same problem with them leaking. Turns out it was because it was only part filled. Fill it right up and hopefully that will solve your problem.

Get a glass one! Archie guzzles water like crazy since we got the glass one, with the plastic he was always meh...

I use large ceramic bowls! One of my hamsters has a glass bottle with the little carrot. I prefer glass to plastic.

Have you tried filling them right up to the top as full as you can get it? We bought those same bottles last week and had the same problem with them leaking. Turns out it was because it was only part filled. Fill it right up and hopefully that will solve your problem.
I tried but it still drips! But thank you.

I use large ceramic bowls! One of my hamsters has a glass bottle with the little carrot. I prefer glass to plastic.
We did have water in bowls when we first had them and they weren't sure about drinking from a bottle but I didn't like the fact the water got messy so quickly. I think I need to look for a glass bottle to try.

We have glass Honey&Hopper bottles with little yellow plastic maize husks in them.

I also found our piggies prefer the glass to the plastic, I'm not sure if its because the water dropper on the glass ones just seem to be much better quality metal or if perhaps the glass just regulates the water temperature better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back