Recent bereavement: remaining piggie seems happy. Confused.

Piggie123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’ve occasionally visited this forum ever since getting a pair of bonded brother piggies nearly two years ago (unneutered). Lots of wise people here, and I’m really looking for advice…

First, some general info:
Living quarters: garden building, heated, 5 feet long by 2 feet wide. One large hidey at the end with 3 entries, which they both seemed to sleep in together. Another smaller hides at the other end which was used less. I’ve since learned two equal hidies are important for males, but did not realise at the time. Bedding: dust free wood shavings base, with straw on top. Regular hay both inside the main hidey and in the open area.

One pig (Sammy) seemed more reserved and often stayed in the main hidey. Fluff was a bit more “social” if you will. In terms of dominance, I think Fluff was on top, just because he did most of the rumblestrutting. He sometimes seemed to want Sammy to stay in the hidey, which I thought odd. Anyway, Sammy would not be a complete walkover, I sometimes saw them square up to each other, but things were never violent, no blood, just the “normal“ stuff I’ve seen on forums and YouTube.

Sadly, Sammy died two weeks ago. Not sure why. However, on the day he died I heard strange noises from the hidey. Sammy was laid down, and Fluff was humping him vigorously. Both ends. Sammy didn‘t really fight back, I presume because he was ill. I separated them but Fluff went back and actually left glue all over his brothers’ face. The whole thing was very distressing and the second incident happened before I could separate them and while I was looking for a vet. I then permanently separated them, but Sammy died an hour or so later.

Now, two weeks later, Fluff seems if anything happier and more vocal than he was before. He comes out of the hidey more, he runs around, he popcorns way more than he did before. He wheels like mad and love interaction more than he did. I just don’t understand. We have been looking for a responsible place to get possibly a baby boar(?), but are now wondering if he is okay alone - but I know thats very contrary to accepted wisdom on the matter.

The whole thing has been quite distressing, but we desperately want to do what is right for Fluff.

I’m posting here becauseI have these questions:
(1) Does Fluff’s behaviour with his ill brother sound normal? As horrible as it seems to me, these are animals, not humans. I just want to know whether I should be concerned about him, esp if considering a new companion.
(2) Is it possible for Guinea pigs to be happy alone?

Hi,
Sorry I have no advice but we are going through the exact same thing. We also lost one of our piggies (Oscar) almost 2 weeks ago and at first we thought Odie was missing his brother but after a day or 2 he’s been really happy. Popcorning all the time and just seeming really upbeat. We are looking into getting another friend for him but unsure what to do now as Odie is a very dominant piggie, which Oscar didn’t mind but we are worried if we get a young pig it will eventually try to take lead and we’ll have problems.

Thanks Shelb, yes your case sounds very similar. I just don’t want to mistake things here and think Fluff is okay alone if he is not.

I’m sorry for your loss.

For piggies social interaction is very important so while they can appear to be ok on their own in the short term, it is not usually the case longer term. They are are pragmatic and will get on with life because that is what they are wired to do but it doesn’t necessarily mean he is happier alone.
It’s easy for us to misinterpret behaviours and see him being more vocal and more affectionate as a sign he is happy but he may now be doing these things because he has transferred all his social needs onto you and is trying to get your attention. However, no matter how much time you can spend with him, human interaction isn’t enough. A lot of the way they interact is through scent and body language, it’s not something you can replicate being a different species. We also are asleep a lot more than they are so can’t provide the round the clock stimulation they need.
Getting him a new friend really will be in his best interests.

When finding a new friend, compatibility is very important. The safest way to find a new friend is with the help of a rescue centre. They will assist in ensuring the right piggy is found so that there aren’t any bonding issues.

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Hi, I am sorry you have lost Sammy. From your description of their behaviour it sounds like, as you suggest, that Fluff was top pig but also that he was not very secure in his role. A top pig who feels another is likely to challenge them will sometimes do stuff like trap them in a hidey or generally be on their case. The humping of Sammy when he was poorly, although distressing to us, would just have been Fluff's way of reinforcing that he was top pig when the opertunity arose.
Being top pig can be hard work for some piggies, in the short term Fluff may be feeling more relaxed right now but in the long term he will be happier with a new friend. As @Piggies&buns says the best way yo find a compatible friend for him would be through a rescue experienced in boar dating.

Back