Rebonding two males who previously fought

Natalie83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post so apologies firstly if I miss out some info. We bought two boars named Nugget and Twix 💙💙 much earlier this year at 8 weeks old they will be a year in December. A few months ago they started fighting which ended up in one being bitten on the face. We decided then to immediately split them up. Very sad for us to do but definitely the best decision to keep them from severely hurting one another. It is frustrating because they love chatting to one another and often lay side by side (see attached pic theyre normally snuggled closer) and seems as if they could once again be best of friends 🤞 I need some advice on rebonding them and where to start in the hope that this could be a possibility. I'm just in fear of one of our precious babies getting in a bad fight and ending badly with injuries. Please help me.

Attachments

• 20221102_200158.webp
    20221102_200158.webp
    106.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about their fight.
I'm afraid rebonding after such a fight and injury would not be recommended and would not be likely to succeed. Once they fight it’s because they aren’t compatible, they don’t like each other and that doesn’t tend to change. They need to stay permanently separated. They will interact between the bars and that stops them from becoming lonely but they aren’t signs they can live in the same cage. Laying side by side by the bars is actually them marking their own territories.

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

For your own protection and online safety, it would be a good idea for you to remove your postcode from your location on your profile and instead just put your county. Your postcode gives away too much information about your more precise location.

Last edited:
Sadly, once they have had a falling out that ended in a bite they are unlikely to ever go back together.
I have had multiple pigs over the years that seem to get on well through the bars, but couldn't actually live together.
You have done the absolute right thing by splitting them, but allowing them to have contact with each other in a safe way.

Oh no 😥. Thank you. I have read so much conflicting information but you

Oh no 😥. I have read so much conflicting information but this has just helped me enormously to continue keeping them apart. Our previous piggies were so good and lived together in harmony for 6 years. It is such a shame because the space they could have together would be amazing if they'd both be able to join back up. We are next week rethinking their housing setup, to give each more space but still keep apart. Thank you so much for advice. Naughty little things. They'll have to carry on to love to hate one another 😠🤣

Just to let you know I have removed your postcode and updated your location to UK.
We like to keep our members safe (as well as offering excellent advice and support of course)
Oops, thank you 😊

Unfortunately incompatibility can come to light once they hit their teens (they are usually fine together as babies) and fall outs can occur.
You are doing the right thing in keeping them separate, and they will be happier for it.

Oh no 😥. I have read so much conflicting information but this has just helped me enormously to continue keeping them apart. Our previous piggies were so good and lived together in harmony for 6 years. It is such a shame because the space they could have together would be amazing if they'd both be able to join back up. We are next week rethinking their housing setup, to give each more space but still keep apart. Thank you so much for advice. Naughty little things. They'll have to carry on to love to hate one another 😠🤣

Hi and welcome

Most people mistake territorial behaviours as the wish to being back together when in fact it is the opposite. The fact that guinea pigs can be territorial about their denning area (i.e. cage in pet piggies) is virtually unknown although the fact that the behaviours are not quite what they seem has been noticed by some experienced owners. This very much one of the main causes for the very contradictory advice.
You can find our more about them in here under the relevant entry: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

After a serious bite, the grudge factor is generally big enough for them to not wanting to share space with each other although they still share a bond through the bars. We call these kind of boar pairs 'can't live together and can't live apart' pairs on here. Try and see them as partners having a relationship but that are each keeping their own homes.

Sometimes they may share a 'neutral' space outside their cages but that is rather rare in boars that have had a serious fight with full-on bites and you can never depend on it happening with yours.

Hi and welcome

Most people mistake territorial behaviours as the wish to being back together when in fact it is the opposite. The fact that guinea pigs can be territorial about their denning area (i.e. cage in pet piggies) is virtually unknown although the fact that the behaviours are not quite what they seem has been noticed by some experienced owners.
You can find our more about them in here under the relevant entry: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

After a serious bite, the grudge factor is generally big enough for them to not wanting to share space with each other although they still share a bond through the bars. We call these kind of boar pairs 'can't live together and can't live apart' pairs on here. Try and see them as partners having a relationship but that are each keeping their own homes.

Sometimes they may share a 'neutral' space outside their cages but that is rather rare in boars that have had a serious fight with full-on bites and you can never depend on it happening with yours.

Thank you for this info. Myself and my daughter will have a read of the bits we're unfamiliar with. We had two sows before and they were so easy rarely displaying very concerning behaviours 😇 little angels they were. We love our little terrors, want them to be happy and live a long life like our other previous piggys. Nuggy and Twix are so completely opposite with their personalities so i do wonder if thats why they clash so much. Nugget is chill and Twix is a complete maniac 🙈

Back