Really shy Guinea pig

LuluThePiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my Guinea pigs, Penut Butter Cup is very shy, I have had her for about a year, my other Guinea pig, Cinnamon is very outgoing, I’ve triEd to get her used to me, bit she always runs when I come by, the most I could make her do was to come up to me to take a treat and she skeaks when I feed the, but that’s it. Is there anything I can do to make her bond with me or is that just her personalit?

Attachments

• 0731CF96-E3FA-4E90-AFD6-291DA087421E.webp
    0731CF96-E3FA-4E90-AFD6-291DA087421E.webp
    77.7 KB · Views: 3
The fact she takes food from you is a good sign and means she does trust you. She may just be a shy piggy and that may never change.

It took one of my boys a year and a half before he would even take food from me. It’s been four years now and he has gained in confidence and is happy to have a head stroke now but it has taken years to get there far with him

this guide may help you
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

I have had piggies who have also been fairly wary for their entire lives, and others that come bowling up to the bars the minute they hear someone enter the room.
Just like people, I think some are naturally shier than others.
Just make sure she has plenty of places to hide and keep part of her cage covered so she feels secure.
And try the piggy whispering tips - they really do work.

The fact that she will take treats from you, even stealthily, indicates that she does feel you can be trusted. She just may have a shy or nervous personality. I've had some pigs who would literally sleep on my laps and some who, while friendly enough, were always vigilant and quick to startle. It was just their personality.

One thing I've found helps sometimes if they startle when you walk by is if you talk to them before they see the motion. Tomie tend to be kind of spooky/high strung, but she is way more apt to stay calm if she hears us talk than if we just go walking past and she doesn't know we're coming!

Back