Really Long Nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cally

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm brand new here, and although I've owned piggies in the past I haven't for some years now. I have taken in a pig who's owner could no longer care for him. I've had him five days and mainly left him to settle in, although he's been out for cuddles today. He's lived on his own his whole life I'm told, I have no idea how old he is as the previous owner found him as a stray? He seems in good health, apart from his nails which are so overgrown they are curling. I've had one attempt at cutting them, but they are so tough I can barely get the clippers through them! He was stressed out by this of course, even with a bribe! As was I!

Should I keep trying, or just get a vet to do it as we are both very nervous? Are the nails so tough because they have been growing for a long time? Or is there anything I could try to soften the nail, or can you recommend sharper clippers? I'm using a pair from pets at home.

I will insert a photo when I figure it out!

I didn't think of that, thank you! Will give that a go tomorrow! :)

Is he the piggie in your photo? If so he's so gorgeous! He looks like a himilayan guinea pig, of which are my favourite and I'm very jealous you have the beautiful boy. :)

As mentioned above bathing should help soften the nails and if you can have someone hold him and you hold one of his feet and clip it, it should make it easier and less stressful. Veggie bribes too for extra easiness. :)

Yes that's him! I thought Himalayan but wasn't sure as he's missing the dark point on his nose. He's got dark ears and feet though!

My boyfriend isn't too keen on the idea of holding him, I've already asked! But I'm sure I can get someone to help. I thought of building his trust up with me too but because they are so long I don't want to leave it. I'm besotted with him already and I've only had him five days :love:

Yeah! He's probably a bit more mixed in his genes so its not showing on the nose. Some of them miss the dark spots on areas. =)

Aw I understand, he's probably wary as they are small animals. I was terrified of picking and holding mine up at first from fear I would accidentally squeze too hard or break a little bone but they are SO sturdy. Bless them.

I'm glad you love him so much! He's beautiful. Can't wait to see more photos of him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back