Re. hay bedding and mites

• Thread starter Thread starter Andersons
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andersons

I`m having to deal with mites caught by contaminated hay used as bedding. I`ve thrown it out and gone back to my original idea of shedded newsprint. It is free, doesn't smell of a barn and warm so what could be better than `mite free` bedding ?

Bye the way, anyone know about using teatree as a `so-called` chemical free solution for mites ?

:)

Its a scary thought that given hay can make your piggies ill with mites....

never heard of tea-tree for treatment. xx

Yeah, mites are horrible and easily caught in this hot weather. I have a whole bale oh hay to get rid of so i thought i`d take it to some local fields for the gypsy horses.

:)

Thats a great idea at least it isn't going to complete waist. I get my hay from dustfreehaycompany. xx

i get my hay from the same 2 suppliers every time and dont have a problem with contaminated hay.

with regards to tea tree oil, i would stay away personally

Please please please stay away from Tea tree oil! :o

& this is what Maryh said about mites, who is very experienced & knowledgeable with regards to cavy care.

"quote" Mites cannot be got from hay.They are species specific and die away from the host body.All gps have mites which do not bother them,but if they are stressed or poorly,the mites increase in numbers and start to cause problems.Mites cannot be seen with the naked eye. Quote"

from here http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18263.0

Mites - you mean mange mites? My vet told me mange mites can be got from hay, but on here I've read they can't! So it's a complete mystery.

As for Lice - the white wriggly things, I think these come from hay, not sure though as they're only meant to live about 4 hours away from a hosts body (most hay has been away from potential hosts for a while)

By the way - mites, the itchy, scab causing, burrowing parasite can only be treated with Ivermectin from your vet. Nothing else, (including tea tree) treats them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back