RATS! HELP!

• Thread starter Thread starter Misty1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty1

We have been having a problem with rodents getting into our animal shed for some time. We thought we had sealed all holes into the shed but somehow it is still getting back in. It is scaring our animals as we currently have runs in the shed where they can stretch their legs in the cold months but we have had to stop doing this as the rats scare them. We keep rabbits and guinea pigs in the shed and I don't want to put poison down as I worry the animals may eat it by accident. I'm not sure if the rats/mice are getting into the hutches themselves as we haven't yet seen this happen. Can anyone give me some advice as to this? We have tried humane traps before but they don't work. We are very concerned that the animals may contract a disease from the rodents. Please help!

You could try contacting your local council for advice or a visit.

I know our local council has a pest control department. I suspect they have some statutory obligation to do something about certain "pests" such as rats, if reported.

When mine were out in the shed we had a mouse/mice coming in. (We've got them in our house also!). They don't seem to do any harm, just pinch the food! Different matter with rats as they could attack and obviously the disease issue. With our shed, my husband nailed wire all around the gaps (there was a ventilation gap at the top) so nothing could get in. The mouse was coming in through a tube we made which went out into an outside hutch/run. You need to find the gaps big enough for a rat and nail wire over (we didn't use chicken wire but stuff that had a smaller hole).

we had a mouse that was driving us mad in doors and he use to get in the kitchen and my daughters room we left 6 humane traps but the wily little thing would not use it, so in the end we had no choice as my daughter has severe asthma and I could'nt take a chance he had left poo on her clothes then her bed while she slept, two nights later he was caught in a proper trap I did feel bad but could'nt take a risk we did everything to get him humanly,
I think if you are worried about them getting in with your pets then you really should use a trap, not nice i know but they can and will get in a tiny hole i was told a mouse can get inside a biro tube once huh! so any holes they will get in rats will also get in by chewing the hole to make it larger,
the pest man will probably use poison,
I've got humane traps in my pigs sheds all the time just in case, we even brought a mouse scarer you plug in the socket but it did'nt work yet my 13 year old son could hear it, got him back for being a little so and so though
good luck on your mouse hunt and rat hunt

I no not alot of people like this idea but i use real traps cos i have hte same proplem with mice and we are overun not just in the shed but in the house to its horrid! and they are vermin so they have to go and me n my dad dont pull any punches everynight poision goes down and traps in every corner i cant stand them and theyre not fair on the piggies so i have to do it! harry couldnt care less but the others get freaked if u have a real thing against them its your beliefs but i would get a trap its quick and they have to go cos they are gross! l0l

I've kept rabbits for 10yrs with no problem,the odd field mouse.But when we moved(over the road)and acquired our pet hen,2 rats started to come and eat the food!The problem was there was a nest or small group living nearby.Our garden backs onto a sort bridle/footpath lots on other large gardens.Anyway my neighbour who has had alot to do with rats as he has had allotments for years.He brought a rat trap,looked like a mini bear trap!got one rat and poisoned the other!My sister and Friend even bought their ferrets,who ran around the garden,following scent trail that went out of the garden,meaning the rats were travelling to my garden and not living,say under the shed.You may need to see if you can found out if their are nesting or just visiting!RAT TRAPS are best,not nice but do the trick,put them out at night,of course lock all pets away!Try buying off ebay,i bought the snap shut ones like crocodile,not the large "mouse trap" type.Others easy to set,without losing fingers!GOOD LUCK.Also put all foods in metal lidded and lockable bins,rats can eat through plastic bins.I was told of Council to get rid of Spangle the hen,but i said no,it was a one off.never seen a rat since!The council never contacted me,so i'm not going to remind them!

if my cat came over therebe all dead in a week hes is very good at catching aynthing what moves and is samller than him

i should call the counail or get a new shed

We found a baby mice nest today wiv 5 babies wriggling around my dad wanted to drown them but my sister (future RSPCA inspector! lol) wasnt having it so she put them in a box with tissue and took them dwn the end of the garden shed with other mice not what i wanted to no but i wouldnt have liked them to be drowned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back