Ramp for outside hutch

Yonny

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We've had 2 girl piggies for 3 wks now, got them when they were 8 wks old, they live happily in a c and c cage indoors,.....but we have been given an outside hutch as I'd like them to have some outside time, but there is no ramp between the 2 levels
Any suggestions as to what to use please?

Hello,

Are you planning on moving your piggies outside permanently for some outdoor time? As this needs to be done cautiously with all of the fluctuations in temperature and weather changes we are having. Many people tend to use a run rather than hutch for grazing time.

With regards to a ramp, there are many materials you can use but it's very important that the ramp is not too steep. Unfortunately a lot of outdoor hutches are designed with minimal space and so ramps tend to be steep. Piggies are not natural climbers. Any ramp should also have sides on to prevent any falls.

:agr:

Do just double check that the hutch is big enough on a single level before going to the effort of attaching a ramp - upper levels don’t count towards the cage size in any event as piggies aren’t naturally climbers and are instead ground roaming creatures. Therefore adding a ramp is not essential.
A hutch for two sows needs to be a minimum of 120x60cm (4ft x 2ft), but 150x60cm (5ft x 2ft) is best.

This is our ramp guide and may help you come up with something to use
Ramps in Cages

Thank you so much for replying , they live indoors in a kavee 5 x2 cage with loft and ramp which they seem happy with but the hutch for outside time is 2 levels and I actually think it might be a rabbit hutch.....but has no way of getting to the upper level
I popped them outside for the first time yesterday in the bottom part which sits directly on the grass but they didn't seem very keen and just sat there, it wasn't raining or too hot, I just want them to be happy little piggies, where do I get a run from if j decide not to use this outside hutch please?

Thank you so much for replying , they live indoors in a kavee 5 x2 cage with loft and ramp which they seem happy with but the hutch for outside time is 2 levels and I actually think it might be a rabbit hutch.....but has no way of getting to the upper level
I popped them outside for the first time yesterday in the bottom part which sits directly on the grass but they didn't seem very keen and just sat there, it wasn't raining or too hot, I just want them to be happy little piggies, where do I get a run from if j decide not to use this outside hutch please?

As they should ideally only be out when you are there to supervise and when it is warm and dry then not having access to the hutch part isn’t a huge problem provided they have somewhere to shelter (some hideys) inside the run a d that the run itself is big enough.

If you decide not to use the one you have, then you can get a stand-alone run from a pet shop, Amazon or look at the Home&Roost website.

Back