Raised C&C cage 3 grids wide?

Fluffbabies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi all,

Our five ladies are in a C&C cage 5 grids long by 3 grids wide on the floor. We've moved house and are really happy to have a bigger space to give them a bigger cage! We'd like to raise it (probably just with grids and support bars) for storage space under neath it.

I really like them having a 3 grid wide cage as it gives them a lot more space to run around than two wide. We can do 7 grids long by 3 wide but I'm concerned we won't be able to reach the back of the cage while cleaning or to catch the girls as on the floor we step into the cage. Maybe I'll have to do an indented bit in the middle that's only two wide so we can reach everything?

Has anyone done a raised cage that's more than 2 grids wide? Anyone got photos for inspiration? Thanks in advance!

Hello Fluffbabies That sounds a lovely idea - I have a 2x5 raised c&c - the storage is great and really good for keeping hay/ fleece etc to hand and tidy - I’m 5’ 4 and I can just reach the back I know I couldn’t if it was 3x 5 but some members do use a little step to reach a 2x5 - I’m sure other members will be along with great advice - good luck 🥰

I've got a 3x5 on a table. I'm 5' 4ish and can reach the back with the aid of a dustpan brush for normal cleaning but deep cleaning needs a stool to wipe the corex. I was wondering about being able to put 3 wide on a c&c stand as I need to build a new cage at sometime (I hope!) for a new pair. I kneel in the other 3x5 which is on the floor. Is a 3 wide stand sturdy enough?

I look forward to any replies you get with interest. I was wondering about raising a 3 grid wide cage myself only this morning!
Ooh yay! I think it'll be quite the project.

My other concern is making the base solid enough as a couple of my younger ones are quite heavy and like to bound around the cage doing laps and jumping so I want them to feel like they're on a solid base. Could put a base of thin MDF or something under the correx to make a platform hmm...

I was originally going to build a custom cage for them out of wood but of course it's a lot less flexible if something changes in the herd.

Hello Fluffbabies That sounds a lovely idea - I have a 2x5 raised c&c - the storage is great and really good for keeping hay/ fleece etc to hand and tidy - I’m 5’ 4 and I can just reach the back I know I couldn’t if it was 3x 5 but some members do use a little step to reach a 2x5 - I’m sure other members will be along with great advice - good luck 🥰
Oh good point about height too! I'm only 5ft2 lol. I have a small two step ladder in the kitchen that never goes away so I can reach top cupboards haha.

Looking at photos of raised cages you don't realise that's quite a difference to being on the floor.

We have a raised c&c for our boys it’s very wonky shape. Probably comes out almost 4 grids wide at its biggest. And 5 grids in length. I need a step stool ( borrowed the guinea pigs step stool hideaway!) to reach the middle & it’s still tricky.
It’s up on kallax storage from ikea, with furniture board on top then the c&c on top. It’s not the perfect solution, but since the boys live as neighbours it’s what currently gives them both enough space & allows us some space to still move around it!

Oh good point about height too! I'm only 5ft2 lol. I have a small two step ladder in the kitchen that never goes away so I can reach top cupboards haha.

Looking at photos of raised cages you don't realise that's quite a difference to being on the floor.
I have a 6x2 with 2x2 loft. I'm also only 5ft2 and I struggle a bit to reach the back of the 2x2 loft, unless I remove the grids at the front. 😂

I have a 6x2 with 2x2 loft. I'm also only 5ft2 and I struggle a bit to reach the back of the 2x2 loft, unless I remove the grids at the front. 😂
I definitely foresee some type of folding/movable bit to be able to reach. With ours on the floor I disconnect two connectors and open the side up to clean it on my knees so I'm not stretching or reaching. Better for the back!

Another option would be to extend the cage on the floor and have a different place to store things. At the moment it's to the side of the cage, in the space I would extend the cage into. It makes things a lot easier to have their things right there.

Or I could raise it by like half a grid just so it's off the ground. Another reason I like the idea of raising it is air circulation and protecting the carpets. At our old place the carpet smelt and was affected by the correx being directly on the carpet.

I use ratchet clips on the cage on the table. I can open a grid in the front and one on the side to help reach the back. The close very firmly and need to be twisted to get them open so a piggy wouldn't be able to accidently open the door and fall off the table.

I use ratchet clips on the cage on the table. I can open a grid in the front and one on the side to help reach the back. The close very firmly and need to be twisted to get them open so a piggy wouldn't be able to accidently open the door and fall off the table.
I use binder / bulldog clips a lot with our C&C, like to attach droopy blankets over the cage to make hidey areas for them. Depending on the size of them, I find they do well at holding two grids together if you want to reinforce without zip ties. Easier to remove/change.

Could you have it away from the wall so you get all the way round?
That's a really sensible straight forward solution! Unfortunately ours needs to go against the wall. If I end up building some kind of platform to put the cage on though, I could put castors under and move it out to clean it then move it back.

I will probably just put it up on a stand made from all the extra grids we have but I have ideas for an elaborate project as well lol.

I use binder / bulldog clips a lot with our C&C, like to attach droopy blankets over the cage to make hidey areas for them. Depending on the size of them, I find they do well at holding two grids together if you want to reinforce without zip ties. Easier to remove/change.
I stopped using bull dog clips as I had a piggy who would tug and rattle the grids until he got the clips to spring apart and he could escape. They are fine for most well behaved piggies but as I bought a packet of ratchet clips and had a lot with the set ups for my outside runs I use those. I have six boars and unsupervised floor time/escaping into someone else's cage would cause mayhem! If the table boys got their grids apart they would have a very long drop to the floor as the table is my waist height. I use all my old bull dog clips for attaching blankets.

I stopped using bull dog clips as I had a piggy who would tug and rattle the grids until he got the clips to spring apart and he could escape. They are fine for most well behaved piggies but as I bought a packet of ratchet clips and had a lot with the set ups for my outside runs I use those. I have six boars and unsupervised floor time/escaping into someone else's cage would cause mayhem! If the table boys got their grids apart they would have a very long drop to the floor as the table is my waist height. I use all my old bull dog clips for attaching blankets.
Ooh naughty piggy! Lol what a mischief.

Back