• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rabbits Transmitting Illnesses? Bordetella?

PiggieNinja

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello all
I'm considering getting a pair of rabbits that will live in the shed with my guinea pigs- not in the same enclosure but on the floor of the shed while the pigs are up on a shelf . So the pigs wont come in direct contact with the rabbits or the rabbit droppings ( but i was wondering if rabbits can transmit any illnesses (particularly bordatella ) without being in direct contact ?
also if the guineas did happen to contract the disease would there be any treatment?
thanks for your help!

I'm not too sure on this I'll tag @Wiebke who might know more but I also have a rabbit who occasionally decides to sniff my guinea pig if both are enjoying the lawn. So far no sick piggies (mind if they do interact it's for a few seconds and through bars).

I'm not too sure on this I'll tag @Wiebke who might know more but I also have a rabbit who occasionally decides to sniff my guinea pig if both are enjoying the lawn. So far no sick piggies (mind if they do interact it's for a few seconds and through bars).
ok thanks for that - its reasuring to know it can be done! :)

I know that @BossHogg has his guineas and rabbits in the same shed, and they seem to be living in absolute harmony (not to mention luxury), so I will tag him for you.

Back