• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Quick question for those who know about tooth probs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boureki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If a piggie has tooth problems, would they still be able to eat hay and veggies without any problems? Or can they simply not eat anything? I know you have to look for little bits of food or dribbles as a sign, but wondered if they struggle with the hay and veg?

It depends on how bad the problem is and what the problem is.Overgrown teeth will initially cause the pig to chew very slowly,and soft food will be chosen over hard.Once the teeth start to trap the tongue down eating will become very difficult,then impossible.

If there is a spur on the molars digging into the flesh,the piggy will initialy eat on one side.Then the mouth will be so painfiul that he will stop trying to eat.

Sometimes they can still manage a few strands of hay.

OMG EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GONNA SAY

Depends entirely how bad the tooth is :-\ If your piggy is struggling take them to the vets - They could starve if you havent seen them eat anything :(

As Mary says each one is different. A grinding noise and emphasized movement of ears are two things I've seen too. They try to keep eating despite everything (most of them). Abscesses can be felt as a hard lump fixed to the jaw and will affect the tooth whose roots they are near. Teeth may become discoloured or pushed forward. This can result in pigs being left with 3 Incisors but they manage perfectly and the teeth just wear differently and may need filing time to time :)

Pain in the jaw would also be a cause of not eating hay. Dental problems can usually be rectified if caught early enough and by a guinea competent vet/rodentologist that has experience of dental work. Others need filing or trimming at intervals. I've had a few 3 Incisored pigs here now that do just fine.

Pigs will sit at a dry food bowl and pick biits up and it can look just like they're eating until you watch closely and it drops out again ::)

Thanks for the info. Julie was wondering about Pepe as his appetite has been off for a couple of weeks, and we were a bit concerned that his teeth may have overgrown in that short amount of time. Vedra checked them a fortnight ago and they were fine, but we saw Pepe push his food around to bowl, eventually choose a bit of dry food then it crunched and he dropped it and went off, but there was no cry of pain or any kind of shock registered from him, but he did take absolutely ages to chew a bit of museli afterwards. Having said that, his bowl was half cleared when we got in, so hopefully all is well. We'll keep a close eye out.

They're tricky little blighters, they will not show symptons till it's too late sometimes >:(
Great advice given to you by Mary & Karen, i agree with them to the letter. This is something i've been battling with now for well over a year and it's a continual watch and see thing. I also weigh regularly and this can help as well. Another little sign is when they come out looking at you for food and then when you pop it down and they sniff and look around and then make a mouth movement and then take off :-\ that's when they're desperate to eat but it hurts them to do so >:(
Good luck and yes it can happen again in two weeks...

Thanks Glynis, I know you've had experience of this before. The only sign I see something MAY be wrong is the fact that he's gone off his dry food again after his appetite picked up for a couple of days and he seems to show an initial interest, then gives up.

We're probably worrying about nothing, but I'm ringing every vet in the area today to see if I can find one that doesn't anaesthetise for dental exams, it's going to be a long job!

Sadly i have not got anyone who'll do it with out aneas.. :( so that's why i tend to try and wait the minimum of 4 weeks..

Stop and think has anything else changed, ever so slightly? you would be amazed when you look back what signs are there...

Good luck love, we've got all our paws crossed for you both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Trying really hard to think of any other signs - he doesn't appear (to my untrained eyes) to be chewing on one side; I can't see his ears moving excessively when he's eating, perhaps just a teeny bit but not exaggerated movements. However, he does seem to take a large amount of time to chew his nuggets (but then they can sometimes, can't they?!) and when I gave him carrot pieces last night there were 4 small chunks on the vetbed, but I can't see dribble. he's quite quiet today, but was very hungry and chirpy yesterday and the day before though. Gah! I'm keeping him on the Critical Care to be on the safe side, as he loves me syringing that lazy little monkey, but not sure if that may be affecting his appetite. I'm increased it to twice a day at present since he started to lose weight again. Thanks for your input :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back