Quick question about care during holidays when aware?

Animallover2245

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So basically when I get my New Guinea pigs. They’ll spend most of the time outside in hutch as the landlord accepts them but rather be outside unless for free roaming/handiling. (I’m in England) however I was just wondering in the holidays when I’m a way I have 3 options. As I’m away at my mums at Christmas.

1. Letting one of my friends look after them
2. Taking them with me as my mums fine with Guinea pigs.
3. Dropping them off at a small animal boarder

The only thing is I haven’t learnt to drive. If you did travel by public transport (pets are allowed on transport in my area only for a bit of extra money) would this be too stressful for a pair of Guinea pigs. ? Or would it just take a bit of traning beforehand so they get used to the sounds of buses/trains

Also obviously you can’t really take a hutch with you. If I did take them with me or to a friends. Is there a suitable temporary indoor enclosure for a pair of guinea pigs?

Also with boarding. Do you have to bring a enclosure with you or do they have enclosures for guinea pigs there? Or does it depend on the boarder?

I just thought I’d ask as Christmas is a few months away and I would like to prepare for when I am away.

In terms of a temporary enclosure, there are lots of ways to make this easier particularly with storage and travelling with it.

Using c&c grids to make an indoor enclosure is great. If you cable tie the correct number of grids together all except the two end grids. The grids then concertina up for easy storage. When the cage is needed you simply unfold them and pop the connectors on to make it rigid. You can put a piece of plastic down to protect the floor and then the bedding on top.
For two sows you need a 2x4 c&c cage which uses 12 grids. ( a 5ft hutch for their permanent living space )
For two boars you need a 2x5 c&c cage which uses 14 grids. (A 6ft hutch for their permanent living space)
I use such a cage for my boys. They live in my shed but have to come indoors during summer when it’s too hot outside and any time it is too cold.

The only issue here is that piggies who need to live outdoors should not really be taken inside and then put back out as it exposes them to large temperature fluctuations. If they need to come indoors during winter, then they ideally should be kept indoors for the rest of the winter. I know this is going to be tricky for you though so you will need to be very careful about ensuring they aren’t too warm inside and then as they must go back out when you get home, that you make sure the inside of the hutch is as warm as it possibly can be. Bearing in mind piggies need to be kept above 15 degrees.

Are you rescuing from a centre? If so, then do bear in mind that they may not be willing to adopt out to outdoor homes at this time of year if the piggies have only been kept inside up until now. It’s too late in the year to put indoor living piggies outside as they won’t have time to adjust to the cold now the nights are below 15 degrees

As @Piggies&buns has already said you piggies can not with between indoors and outdoors in the Winter.
Once they have adjusted to outdoor temperatures (with suitable insulation, covers, heat pads, etc) they can not come inside.
An unheated shed or garage would be ok as the temperature difference wouldn't be so big.

I would add that whatever option you decide on it is certainly not too early to be booking for Christmas. This is a very popular time of year for people to board their pets, so things get booked up months in advance.

In terms of a temporary enclosure, there are lots of ways to make this easier particularly with storage and travelling with it.

Using c&c grids to make an indoor enclosure is great. If you cable tie the correct number of grids together all except the two end grids. The grids then concertina up for easy storage. When the cage is needed you simply unfold them and pop the connectors on to make it rigid. You can put a piece of plastic down to protect the floor and then the bedding on top.
For two sows you need a 2x4 c&c cage which uses 12 grids. ( a 5ft hutch for their permanent living space )
For two boars you need a 2x5 c&c cage which uses 14 grids. (A 6ft hutch for their permanent living space)
I use such a cage for my boys. They live in my shed but have to come indoors during summer when it’s too hot outside and any time it is too cold.

The only issue here is that piggies who need to live outdoors should not really be taken inside and then put back out as it exposes them to large temperature fluctuations. If they need to come indoors during winter, then they ideally should be kept indoors for the rest of the winter. I know this is going to be tricky for you though so you will need to be very careful about ensuring they aren’t too warm inside and then as they must go back out when you get home, that you make sure the inside of the hutch is as warm as it possibly can be. Bearing in mind piggies need to be kept above 15 degrees.

Are you rescuing from a centre? If so, then do bear in mind that they may not be willing to adopt out to outdoor homes at this time of year if the piggies have only been kept inside up until now. It’s too late in the year to put indoor living piggies outside as they won’t have time to adjust to the cold now the nights are below 15 degrees
Thanks. I’ve been Googling and unfortunately all the rescues are too far away for me as I don’t drive. So I won’t be getting any from a rescue. Do you have any good tips for them adjusting the weather, obviously more layers of bedding would help. Even if you used a boarder wouldnt this mean they would be inside as well?

As @Piggies&buns has already said you piggies can not with between indoors and outdoors in the Winter.
Once they have adjusted to outdoor temperatures (with suitable insulation, covers, heat pads, etc) they can not come inside.
An unheated shed or garage would be ok as the temperature difference wouldn't be so big.

I would add that whatever option you decide on it is certainly not too early to be booking for Christmas. This is a very popular time of year for people to board their pets, so things get booked up months in advance.

Realistically, at this time of year there isn’t time to adjust them from inside to outside - night time temperatures are already below their comfort zone. They should be put outside at the beginning of summer so they can adjust to it slowly as autumn approaches and progresses through winter.

Keeping them outside all year does take a lot of work anyway but it is completely doable. However, If you’re buying piggies, then they are going to be young and it would not be advisable to put youngsters outside now.
Outdoor piggies cannot be brought inside for cuddle time during winter.

In terms of keeping them warm - lots of hay, snugglesafe heatpads, thermal hutch covers, blankets on the hutch.

I keep my boys warm by having their hutch in a shed. This keeps them 5-10 degrees warmer than outside temperatures. Inside the hutch gets completely stuffed with hay. They have four snugglesafe heatpads inside. There is then a thermal hutch cover, two blankets, another proper hutch cover ans then a duvet thrown over all of It.
I am able to keep above 12 degrees. If I can’t keep them above that, then they come indoors.

If depends on the boarder - some have outside boarding. But yes, if they were boarded indoors then the same does apply.

Realistically, at this time of year there isn’t time to adjust them from inside to outside - night time temperatures are already below their comfort zone. They should be put outside at the beginning of summer so they can adjust to it slowly as autumn approaches and progresses through winter.

Keeping them outside all year does take a lot of work anyway but it is completely doable. However, If you’re buying piggies, then they are going to be young and it would not be advisable to put youngsters outside now.
Outdoor piggies cannot be brought inside for cuddle time during winter.

In terms of keeping them warm - lots of hay, snugglesafe heatpads, thermal hutch covers, blankets on the hutch.

I keep my boys warm by having their hutch in a shed. This keeps them 5-10 degrees warmer than outside temperatures. Inside the hutch gets completely stuffed with hay. They have four snugglesafe heatpads inside. There is then a thermal hutch cover, two blankets, another proper hutch cover ans then a duvet thrown over all of It.
I am able to keep above 12 degrees. If I can’t keep them above that, then they come indoors.

If depends on the boarder - some have outside boarding. But yes, if they were boarded indoors then the same does apply.
Fair points, although I’ve been volunteering with animals since I was in secondary school. I’ve volunteered at 2 different places, a farm and a wildlife park (not going to say where to protect the names). They both had guinea pigs. Including young ones kept outside all year round and all the guinea pigs were fine before. What changed in the winter was a lot more bedding & hay in during winter months. Was it wrong for both the farm and wildlife park to keep them outside then?

I thought the general rule with temperature is that if your too warm or cold then your guinea pigs would be too cold or warm.

Does it also depend where abouts you live in U.K.. as I understand in Scotland and Wales it wouldn’t be a good idea as it snows a lot (same in north) and does get even colder up there. I don’t know where Cambridge is. I live in the south east of England.

Fair points, although I’ve been volunteering with animals since I was in secondary school. I’ve volunteered at 2 different places, a farm and a wildlife park (not going to say where to protect the names). They both had guinea pigs. Including young ones kept outside all year round and all the guinea pigs were fine before. What changed in the winter was a lot more bedding & hay in during winter months. Was it wrong for both the farm and wildlife park to keep them outside then?

I thought the general rule with temperature is that if your too warm or cold then your guinea pigs would be too cold or warm.

Does it also depend where abouts you live in U.K.. as I understand in Scotland and Wales it wouldn’t be a good idea as it snows a lot (same in north) and does get even colder up there. I don’t know where Cambridge is. I live in the south east of England.
^i want to mentioned i also studied animal management for a year at college where they had guinea pigs. They also got kept outside in the winter. So i'm just coming from my own experience of when i've been around guinea pigs before and what i've learned from teachers/staff/other volunteers etc. (This doesn't apply to my guinea pigs that passed away as we did keep them inside then as my mum was fine with it) however where i am now our shed is shared and small not big enough for a hutch inside it. We have enough space in the garden and as i said my landlord wants them to be outdoors.

@Swissgreys it says you live in Switzerland. So shouldn't guinea pigs in Switerzerland never be kept outside as it's extremley cold all year round in Switerzerland? (I'm in South east england) if you look at my replies to @Piggies&buns. I've been speaking from my own experience. ^

@Swissgreys it says you live in Switzerland. So shouldn't guinea pigs in Switerzerland never be kept outside as it's extremley cold all year round in Switerzerland? (I'm in South east england) if you look at my replies to @Piggies&buns. I've been speaking from my own experience. ^
I do indeed live in Switzerland, although it certainly isn't cold all year round here - in Summer it often gets hotter than the UK!
Even in the mountains it will often be in the very high 20's - low 30's for several months.

The problem with keeping guinea pigs outdoors is that there really is no right or wrong answer to this.
Guinea pigs here could certainly not be kept outdoors in the middle of the Winter in a hutch in the garden, but that is also true of many (most?) places in the UK.
But in the right set up - a well insulated and heated shed, garage or outbuilding, with appropriate bedding, heat sources and adequate time to acclimatise they would be fine. Just like in the UK.
Additionally for the most part the cold here is a drier cold than the UK, so actually somehow feels less cold even when the thermometer says differently.
It is not uncommon here for people to keep their piggies outside in a hutch during the warmer months, and then move them indoors for Autumn - Winter.

Cambridge is in Cambridgeshire (not far from Norfolk) - about 3 hours away from Reading.

It is fine to keep them outside provided you can keep them draught and damp free and warm enough. Even piggies who have acclimatised still really need to be kept above 15 degrees (definitely above 10) to be comfortable.

My point was that if you were to get piggies now, or even in the next few weeks, putting youngsters who may have only been kept indoors up until now outside at this time of year would subject them to a dramatic and sudden temperature drop which can cause illness - there isn’t time to acclimatise them this year given overnight temperatures are pretty much consistently below 15 degrees already. It’s already chilly at night for piggies who have been outside all summer but they have acclimatised to the cooling temperatures over the past few weeks.
When having to keep piggies outside, then it’s best to either get ones that have already been kept outside up until the point you get them or wait until the spring time when they then have the time to acclimatise before winter.

Cambridge is in Cambridgeshire (not far from Norfolk) - about 3 hours away from Reading.

It is fine to keep them outside provided you can keep them draught and damp free and warm enough. Even piggies who have acclimatised still really need to be kept above 15 degrees (definitely above 10) to be comfortable.

My point was that if you were to get piggies now, or even in the next few weeks, putting youngsters who may have only been kept indoors up until now outside at this time of year would subject them to a dramatic and sudden temperature drop which can cause illness - there isn’t time to acclimatise them this year given overnight temperatures are pretty much consistently below 15 degrees already. It’s already chilly at night for piggies who have been outside all summer but they have acclimatised to the cooling temperatures over the past few weeks.
When having to keep piggies outside, then it’s best to either get ones that have already been kept outside up until the point you get them or wait until the spring time when they then have the time to acclimatise before winter.
Ok, is it possible to find ones that have been kept outside then till I get them?

Ok, is it possible to find ones that have been kept outside then till I get them?
It may be better to wait until Sping to be honest.
Starting your guinea pig journey with multiple trips outside in awful weather, endlessly relating snuggle safes, removing hutch covers, and cleaning them out in the rain won't be much fun.
Added to this if you don't have a shed or garage then you won't really be able to handle them much, so much of the joy you get from piggy ownership will be lost.

I was in the same situation as you and had planned to keep our piggies outside, so we decided to wait until Spring (late April here in Switzerland) to get them.
We had an insulated hutch, had built a shelter and had everything ready for the warmer weather.
We then spotted some piggies we liked, and got them in March, and decided they could live inside for just a few weeks until it got warmer.
Needless to say after a few weeks inside they never did go out!

@Swissgreys is right - waiting until spring is the best advice we can give
Keeping them outside is hard work - with mine being in a shed at least I can still let them out for exercise, interaction with them and clean them out in the dry - and the work and stress involved in ensuring they are warm enough (even in the shed) is a lot. I spend an hour every day just heating up heatpads and the possibility that they aren’t warm enough even in the shed is always there so the back up plan is always ready.

I did ask my landlord back in April multiple times before I mentioned on here as well however he didn’t reply till a few weeks back. Also I don’t mind what the weather is for myself. I’ve cared for animals in the rain and worse before and it doesn’t bother me. It rarely snows in the south east. I’ve only lived in England since 2010 and only remember it snowing once. I was in other countries beforehand. I do have a shed however it’s very small and there wouldn’t be enough room for them as it wouldn’t match the reccomended size. Plus it’s where we store old barbecues and bicycles etc...

I am confused though if it is dangerous for Guinea pigs to live outside in Colder months. Why do wildlife parks and farms keep them outside? Just curios as when I’ve been volunteering/visiting In those places they had new ones in that weren’t adults during the winter and they did fine.

It may be better to wait until Sping to be honest.
Starting your guinea pig journey with multiple trips outside in awful weather, endlessly relating snuggle safes, removing hutch covers, and cleaning them out in the rain won't be much fun.
Added to this if you don't have a shed or garage then you won't really be able to handle them much, so much of the joy you get from piggy ownership will be lost.

I was in the same situation as you and had planned to keep our piggies outside, so we decided to wait until Spring (late April here in Switzerland) to get them.
We had an insulated hutch, had built a shelter and had everything ready for the warmer weather.
We then spotted some piggies we liked, and got them in March, and decided they could live inside for just a few weeks until it got warmer.
Needless to say after a few weeks inside they never did go out

@Piggies&buns

(See previous reply)

I also want to mention a few of my friends also got there Guinea pigs last autumn/winter and they did fine as well and are still fine and doing well.

We can’t comment on the care of their outdoor piggies you have known previously - we don’t know the precautions they took with them.
All we can say is that piggies, while they can be kept outside provided the precautions are taken (piggies are susceptible to large fluctuations in temperature and damp), they aren’t hardy and aren’t comfortable in the cold and damp of the UK winters. If you get piggies in spring, acclimatise them throughout the summer and then take all the necessary precautions for ensuring they are kept warm enough (18-22 degrees is their comfort zone but below 15 degrees is too chilly), and damp and draught free during winter then that is fine for them to be outside. Getting youngsters, who are more susceptible to cold and damp anyway, in autumn when they won’t have time to adjust wouldn’t be wise.
Similar precautions for summer are also needed. Piggies don’t cope well in temperatures above 25 degrees. Hutches become hot quickly, hot breezes when they are in runs pose a risk so ensuring there is somewhere safe and cool for them to go to is also important

Last edited:
I am confused though if it is dangerous for Guinea pigs to live outside in Colder months. Why do wildlife parks and farms keep them outside? Just curios as when I’ve been volunteering/visiting In those places they had new ones in that weren’t adults during the winter and they did fine.
As @Piggies&buns has already said it isn't dangerous to keep piggies outside, but there is a huge difference between buying 2 young piggies who have always lived inside and banging them straight outside into a hutch which is fully exposed to the elements and is a good 10 - 15 degrees colder than they are used to, and having adult piggies who have always lived outside and have had time to acclimatise.

Additionally farms and wildlife parks should be offering appropriate heated and protected accommodation, which is very different to a hutch in a garden.
Additionally many of these places are rarely checked for small domestic pets like guinea pigs, so I certainly wouldn't assume they are offering the gold standard of care. Piggies at places like this are often left to breed without any real control, so are viewed as a cheap attraction with fairy low requirements. There have been cases of excellent animal parks in the UK, who keep many large and exotic species very wel,l but their small animal care has been very basic. One recent case at a place in Kent ended up with their entire herd being seized after they were all found to have untreated manage, however their larger (and more regulated) animals were kept in good conditions.

I would never base any care decisions on how herds are managed in farms, petting zoos or parks.

You simply need to look around and most responsible rescues (a good place to base your care decisions on) will not reheome piggies outdoors between August and March.
Just because others have done it and their guinea pigs didin't die doesn't mean their piggies were happy and comfortable.
We can always find examples to justify our actions, but the real question is are you able to offer a pair of guinea pigs that have not had time to acclimatise a suitable protected and warm environment 24/7 for the next 6 months. Can you be certain that temperatures in their hutch will be above 15 degrees at all time, and you will be available every few hours to reheat heating pads, refill water bottles and restfuff their hutch with dry hay?

As @Piggies&buns has already said it isn't dangerous to keep piggies outside, but there is a huge difference between buying 2 young piggies who have always lived inside and banging them straight outside into a hutch which is fully exposed to the elements and is a good 10 - 15 degrees colder than they are used to, and having adult piggies who have always lived outside and have had time to acclimatise.

Additionally farms and wildlife parks should be offering appropriate heated and protected accommodation, which is very different to a hutch in a garden.
Additionally many of these places are rarely checked for small domestic pets like guinea pigs, so I certainly wouldn't assume they are offering the gold standard of care. Piggies at places like this are often left to breed without any real control, so are viewed as a cheap attraction with fairy low requirements. There have been cases of excellent animal parks in the UK, who keep many large and exotic species very wel,l but their small animal care has been very basic. One recent case at a place in Kent ended up with their entire herd being seized after they were all found to have untreated manage, however their larger (and more regulated) animals were kept in good conditions.

I would never base any care decisions on how herds are managed in farms, petting zoos or parks.

You simply need to look around and most responsible rescues (a good place to base your care decisions on) will not reheome piggies outdoors between August and March.
Just because others have done it and their guinea pigs didin't die doesn't mean their piggies were happy and comfortable.
We can always find examples to justify our actions, but the real question is are you able to offer a pair of guinea pigs that have not had time to acclimatise a suitable protected and warm environment 24/7 for the next 6 months. Can you be certain that temperatures in their hutch will be above 15 degrees at all time, and you will be available every few hours to reheat heating pads, refill water bottles and restfuff their hutch with dry hay?
Yes although that’s interesting back when I was volunteering the wild guinea pigs had heating but the pet guinea pigs never did. They just added more hay in the winter. The park got inspected every year and they never had any complaints.

Anyway I would be able to fill the Hutch with hay, refill water bottles. Heat pads last every 10 hours? So it would only be needed to be heated 2 times a day as 8am-10pm is only a couple hours over 10 hours. Also I found a seller which has been keeping Guinea pigs in a sheltered area in a hutch all year and there healthy and happy.

Yes although that’s interesting back when I was volunteering the wild guinea pigs had heating but the pet guinea pigs never did. They just added more hay in the winter. The park got inspected every year and they never had any complaints.

Anyway I would be able to fill the Hutch with hay, refill water bottles. Heat pads last every 10 hours? So it would only be needed to be heated 2 times a day as 8am-10pm is only a couple hours over 10 hours. Also I found a seller which has been keeping Guinea pigs in a sheltered area in a hutch all year and there healthy and happy.

My heat pads last at their best around 8 hours and that is inside the shed which is always warmer. I think actually outside it can be a little less than that even so I wouldnt expect to get 10 hours out of them (I certainly don't out of mine)

Back