Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello.

I've had guinea pigs for a long time. But I still have some questions that need answering.

Is grass fattening for guinea pigs if they have to much? My friend said it was so I did some research but I trust you guys here more then some old website. And if so how much is to much?

How do you trim piggy nails?
I recently noticed that my pigs were getting long nails so I bought a nail trimmer but I don't know how to use it and I don't want to go past the quick. If anyone has tips with pictures that would help.

How to you clean their wooden log houses? I've had the piggies wooden log house for about 8 months and it has never been washed. My friend never washed her log house and it rotted which I don't want to happen to mine.

Thanks

Nail clipping - here's the forum guide https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-cutting-guinea-pig-nails.61/
I tend to find holding the pig against me with thumb round back, two fingers above front legs and two fingers below front legs suits me best as it keeps their head away from their legs and makes it easier to get into.

I use white vinegar for cleaning wood, I will generally knock off any debris (generally just poops :))) and then spray it and wipe it down with a cloth.

I can't answer on the grass front, I believe its good for them to have it but I know if they aren't used to it it can be harsh on their guts and cause diarrhoea so it's good to introduce it gradually

Nail clipping - here's the forum guide https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-cutting-guinea-pig-nails.61/
I tend to find holding the pig against me with thumb round back, two fingers above front legs and two fingers below front legs suits me best as it keeps their head away from their legs and makes it easier to get into.

I use white vinegar for cleaning wood, I will generally knock off any debris (generally just poops :))) and then spray it and wipe it down with a cloth.

I can't answer on the grass front, I believe its good for them to have it but I know if they aren't used to it it can be harsh on their guts and cause diarrhoea so it's good to introduce it gradually
Thanks. My guinea pigs are used to grass and have been going out on it for nearly two years. I will try the vinegar.

Grass & hay are the best things a guinea can eat. It is their natural diet in the wild & the best food for teeth wear & digestive health. It's good for maintaining weight & condition. It's too much dry feed, treats & sugary foods like fruit & carrots that can cause problems with weight & stomach troubles. I love to see them mowing the lawn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back