• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Questions to ask vet re neutering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have 3 possible vet options if I go down the route of having Timmy neutered. One of these was recommended by animal lifeline.
Obviously, I want to phone each one first to be assurred that there is the least risk possible to Timmy during and after the op.
Could someone help me with a list of questions I need to ask the vet before choosing the best one please?

I would ask, how many times have they done this operation and when was the last time?
What anaesthetic are they going to use?
What pre med if they do, and what pain relief?
Do they treat a lot of small animals, because its not just the vet the nurse will care for him after and you what to know if they have experience with small animals.
How there practice it adapted to care for small animals. Some practices I've worked in only have one kennel room and this means that there may be a noise dog in and your gp will be put in the same room, this will increase stress levels. If they do only have one kennels, i would want to no it the have a separate room, eg dental, x ray which is not in use that they could put your pig in.

Anne and Andy at O!Mearas surgery in Ewell use Vesofluerine which is the safest of all the aneasthetics.

I have,and know of a lot of piggies that have had operations at this surgery,and the aftercare is brilliant.I have not known an op go wrong,or a suture line break down or become infected.
I would not take my pigs to anyone else.,in fact.Peter Gurney used to take all his pigs to Anne.

Some friends of mine very recently had a boar with a mystery renal problem,this was eventualy diagnosed but it required 2 lots of surgery within 10 days.Andy did these and now, less than 2 weeks later,the boar has regained most of the weight he lost and is back to normal.

I have heard of the vet that Christine uses,and all I will say is that I would not take a gp to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back