Questions for a new guinea pig owner

Makaveli

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First question is, is a 4x2 C&C cage adequate space for two guinea pigs ? Like this... I do have a very calm and friendly dog who visits sometimes so may go for the " With Lid " option just so the guineas feel safer.
4x2 C&C Cage with Loft & Ramp

Also. Is it OK to buy the guinea pigs from pet shops like pets at home, just4pets etc ? I would rather go this way as they will have been properly looked after, kept in clean environments etc and hopefully accurately sexed.

The C&C cage linked above has a coroplast base. What is best to put on top of this ? I am thinking plenty of newspaper so it doesn't get as unclean. Ontop of the newspaper what is best ? I hear you can use hay and Dust free wood shavings such as aspen, paper, hemp but NOT Cedar.

In regards to hay, is it best to have a separate tray they can eat from or even a hay rack to keep their living hay and eating hay seperate ?

What are the other essentials ? So obviously water bottles, bowl for biscuits, pet safe disinfectant, tunnels to hide in, brush to keep their hair healthy

This is what I have learnt so far ( i have not bought anything yet though )

Welcome to the forum

A 4x2 is fine for two females.
Two males need a 5x2.

We would recommend you adopt piggies from a rescue centre. This is the only way you can guarantee they are healthy, properly sexed, bonded well and not pregnant.

Buying from a pet shop does not guarantee any of those things. We see most issues where people bring home already pregnant sows, coming down with illnesses, parasites or fungal infection, incorrectly sexed piggies from those who buy from shops, breeders or online.

Added onto that pet shop piggies are usually just put together for sale with little to no regard for their character compatibility. There is a risk that these two piggies may not have compatibility and therefore bond issues and then may fall out when their teens hit. Not all will but it is something to be aware of and prepare for if you do buy from a shop. Should a fall out occur then the two piggies would need to live in separate but side by side cages.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

There are several bedding options and it’s about finding what works for you. If you choose disposable then there are many types which were suitable.
Fleece is also an option for indoor piggies.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Hay does not need to be kept separate - they will eat all of it. Trays are better than racks in my opinion. Piggies like to get right in amongst piles of hay to forage freely and play in it. Racks stop that ability.
I just throw a variety of hay directly into it piggies cages loose on the floor.

You don’t need to use food bowls at all. Scattering their veg and their one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day directly into hay encourages their natural foraging abilities and is a form of entertainment for them.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Brilliant thank you !
I only have space for a 4x2 so that means I must get two females then? Two males need more space due to the risk of fighting ?

If that's the case then I will get the females from a rescue place. I will do my research into these places first and make sure I know what to look out for in regards to the rescue places from the links provided.

What do you think to this local one with lots of positive reviews ?
PuddleDucks Guinea Pig Rescue << main page
PuddleDucks Guinea Pig Rescue. << facebook

Brilliant thank you !
I only have space for a 4x2 so that means I must get two females then? Two males need more space due to the risk of fighting ?

If that's the case then I will get the females from a rescue place. I will do my research into these places first and make sure I know what to look out for in regards to the rescue places from the links provided.

What do you think to this local one with lots of positive reviews ?
PuddleDucks Guinea Pig Rescue << main page
PuddleDucks Guinea Pig Rescue. << facebook

Yes two females or, as you are rescuing, it is also the right size for a sow/neutered boar pair.

This is our rescue list - https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

Anybody can call themselves a rescue centre but not necessarily be reputable or fall into what we consider good standards - anybody can set themselves up in their back garden as a rescue centre.
The rescues in the link I have added are all approved and are the only ones we can vouch for.

Are females friendly with humans ? I know at first they will be shy, but I would like to be able to pet them once settled.

Also is a male and female mix a good idea in my case ?

brilliant thanks.
I will get a 4x2 C&C style.

Any recommendations of the best place in the UK to buy ?
"kaveekage" seem like the best choice 4x2 C&C Cage with Loft & Ramp
Are females friendly with humans ? I know at first they will be shy, but I would like to be able to pet them once settled.

Also is a male and female mix a good idea in my case ?

Kavee or candcguineapigcages.co.uk

It’s not about their sex as to whether they will want to be stroked, it’s about their temperament and how they have been treated previously.
Piggies generally don’t like being handled and a for some interaction is just sitting with them and watching them. Some will learn to enjoy some handling or a stroke as they settle in.
In fact its the boars who tend to get friendlier and more cuddly as they age and testosterone fizzles out.

I have four boys.
The oldest two are 5.5 years old. They don’t like to be touched or held (in fact it took 18 months before one of them would even take food from me) - and up until about a year ago I couldn’t do anything other than the essentials with them. Now they are friendlier and are easier to do things with and will tolerate a little stroke on their terms.

My two youngest boys (a year old) are at opposite ends of the scale. One is them hates to be touched, picked up or held. He will actively squirm to get away and any kind of essential handling with him usually results in me getting a few scratches. I do not handle him except for the essential weekly weight checks, nail clipping etc.
The other one actively loves being stroked and will ask for it. He will be held for a little while but isn’t shy to say he has had enough.

Speak to a reputable rescue and see which piggies they have that they might think are suitable for you.
Also discuss your plans for housing them
Prior to buying a cage. A rescue needs to approve of the accommodation so it is always wise to speak to them first and not risk buying something they don’t think is suitable

A boar/sow pair tends to be more stable for the long term

I agree that Pets at Home are not necessarily that reliable on sexing, bonding etc. If you really can't find a rescue, and Pets at Home is your only option, I would suggest you try waiting for a pair of adult pigs to be surrendered to their adoption section. If they have already been in a home and then surrendered and are still together, their bond is probably solid. And it's likely that any mis-sexing would have been discovered by then; in any case, it's much more difficult to get this wrong in an adult than a baby pig.

Our last boar pair were like this, adopted from the Pets at Home "bargain bin". They were the most inseperable, adorable old married couple you can imagine (not that they were very old, only about 18 months when we got them). Although our current pair are also shaping up to be a bromance for the ages!

Still be ready to vet-check any animals you bring home from a pet store to make sure you find out about any issues they might have.

A reputable rescue is still a better option if at all possible.

Back