Questions Already

*Gemma*

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Had them less than 24 hours and I already have questions.
The girls are on fleece, and they are definitely little pooping machines, I know you are meant to leave them for a few days but can I do a spot clean? (That might be a really stupid question) I just don’t want to stress them out.
I’m feeding them Timothy Hay and alfalfa pellets, I’ve read mixed opinions, do I give them unlimited pellets until 4 months & then gradually cut down?
I’ve done so much research but now they are here I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right :)

Had them less than 24 hours and I already have questions.
The girls are on fleece, and they are definitely little pooping machines, I know you are meant to leave them for a few days but can I do a spot clean? (That might be a really stupid question) I just don’t want to stress them out.
I’m feeding them Timothy Hay and alfalfa pellets, I’ve read mixed opinions, do I give them unlimited pellets until 4 months & then gradually cut down?
I’ve done so much research but now they are here I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right :)

Hi!

Yes, you can poo patrol and cage clean as you should. Use our tips to lift your piggies out when necessary. Turn it into a regular ritual with the same words and melody every time, and your piggies will cotton on quickly. I have a little 'tidy tidy tidy' sing song for my own poo patrol. Be lavish with praise if they do something right, so they can learn what you want them to do.

Please DO NOT feed unlimited pellets and DO NOT overdo the alfalfa!
The extra amounts needed are in fact tiny - so tiny that my own home born baby and any adopted babies have flourished on a normal adult group diet.
I would recommend to mix your alfalfa pellets with the timothy hay based pellet brand you want to continue with from the start, so the switching over at the end of your current bag is not as difficult.
Home born baby Tegan has just celebrated her 6th birthday in very good health on Thursday, by the way, as have her playmates.

We have got advice on how many pellets to feed in our diet guide and you can find advice on how to lift out your piggies safely for cage cleans and poo patrol via our new owners' guide collection: New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

Can't add more to what has been said above. Congrats on your poo machines... Era I mean piggies! Be great to see some photos of them, the video in the link above on how to collect piggies is really useful

I will definitely follow advice given, I just read all sorts of different advice about the amounts of pellets to give at what age do I’m glad I checked.
I watched the video, so hopefully I can make clean out our day as least stressful as possible for them.
They actually let me watch them eat some hay, as long as I didn’t move. So small progress already.
Thanks again for the advice :)

E9386163-BBB4-4CAF-B5EE-84C963470F98.webp

I will definitely follow advice given, I just read all sorts of different advice about the amounts of pellets to give at what age do I’m glad I checked.
I watched the video, so hopefully I can make clean out our day as least stressful as possible for them.
They actually let me watch them eat some hay, as long as I didn’t move. So small progress already.
Thanks again for the advice :)

View attachment 74009

I would recommend using a shallow hay tray your piggies can sit in for the hay. it makes less of a mess on the fleece and can be cleaned out more easily. If necessary place a towel over that part of the cage at first to give them a feeling of protection and entice them to come. Hay should make 80% of the daily food intake.

Welcome to the Forum! Lovely little piggies!
Do you have an absorbent layer under the fleece?
Certainly helps to contain the pee a little! I just use a small dustpan and brush twice a day when on poo patrol, then every couple of days I carefully lift the fleece to change papers or to put in the huge piggy washing pile!
Take care not to overenthusiastically shake the fleece when lifting or you will think it’s raining - only it’s pee!
Good luck with you girls.
Ps. What are their names?

Welcome to the Forum! Lovely little piggies!
Do you have an absorbent layer under the fleece?
Certainly helps to contain the pee a little! I just use a small dustpan and brush twice a day when on poo patrol, then every couple of days I carefully lift the fleece to change papers or to put in the huge piggy washing pile!
Take care not to overenthusiastically shake the fleece when lifting or you will think it’s raining - only it’s pee!
Good luck with you girls.
Ps. What are their names?

I have 3 layers of towels under there.
Just did my first spot clean & saw them popcorn for the first time, so they must like a nice clean fleece. Was so adorable.
Ah thank you for the advice :)
The white one is yet to be named, the other one is Darcy :)

I would recommend using a shallow hay tray your piggies can sit in for the hay. it makes less of a mess on the fleece and can be cleaned out more easily. If necessary place a towel over that part of the cage at first to give them a feeling of protection and entice them to come. Hay should make 80% of the daily food intake.

At the other end they have a litter try with hay & a towel over it.
I put some hay outside there house just incase they didn’t want want to come out, I wanted to make sure they still had hay. I’ve cleaned all up now & just going to use the litter tray as They seem to be coming out a bit more now :)
Thank you for your advice.

They are so tiny and sweet. I look forward to hearing more about them and to seeing loads of pics!

Back