• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Questions about bumblefoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My old girl Fluffy :smitten: (she will be 6 next month) has bumblefoot.
She got it about 6 months ago for the first time but it was quite mild and after a week or so of bathing her foot in warm salty water and applying bepanthen it cleared up.

A few days ago I noticed her foot swelling up slightly so I started bathing and applying cream again. Only this time there hasn't been any improvement yet and if anything her foot is still swelling.

I am going to get an appointment with the vet but as usual I wanted to get some advise first. As lovely as my vet is he knows very little about GPs (no GP savvy vet near me) but does listen and takes what I say on board and is normally happy to follow advise from more experienced owners/vets. So before I go there I want to know what the course of action should be so that I can pass it onto him.

Would you normally recommend antibiotics for bumblefoot?
Is there a better cream to be using than bepanthen maybe something which is antibacterial (to stop it from getting infected)?
Also I have read that some people bandage the affected foot, would you recommend doing this?

Sorry there are so many questions!
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Laure

My sow has swollen pads and joints probably due to a shoulder injury she had before she came here and uneven weight being put on one foot. We've tried antibiotics etc but it didn't work. She has Perfect Paws on which softens hard skin and keeps it 'nice' (though maybe the skin should be hard?!) but it isn't healing. I'm trying a different ointment for her this wheek to see if it helps her. I guess the Bepanthen could go on top but the PP sticks well (thats what it was made to do ;) )

I don't like to bandage pigs myself and never have, my sow doesn't like sleeping on Vetbed and will choose to lay in the hay ::) I've tried putting her on just Vetbed and giving hay in a rack but that made no difference either.

What bedding is your sow on? Some beddings can cause swollen joints. Osteoperosis is another possibility (I think thats the one ::) Osteo something!)

Hi Karen, does your sow have bumblefoot too then? Sorry you didn't say.
Fluffy has arthritis too which may be why she is getting bumblefoot (uneven weight and lack of running around)
Do you use anything antiseptic? I am worries it might get infected.
Is PP any good for bumblefoot, I wasn't sure.
She has always been kept on newspaper and hay and last week I changed them over to fleece as I was have a mice problem (see other post) but last time she had bumblefoot she was on hay so i don't think it would be the fleece causing it.
Fluffy is like your sow she much prefers sitting in the hay. I put a big pile of it in the C&C and she stays there most of the day unless she gets hungry ;D

My vet gave me a discinfectant-type wash (like hibiscrub) when mine had infected feet a few years ago, I think he gave her antibiotics too. It looked so painful and swollen but she did get better. Good luck with yours

Not sure really if its bumblefoot, we didn't give it a name :)
No I don't use any antiseptic, just wash it and apply PP, but it just keeps it supple and massages it. I'm sure fleece isn't causing it, its Nedz and shavings with essential oils that are doing it, over exposure to oils is bad :)

I'll let you know how the other ointment goes. PP isn't getting rid of her 'condition' but it probably makes it feel better.

Scarlett 'runs' around just a little oddly ::) She's the guinea in my avatar :)

karenrgpr said:
She's the guinea in my avatar :)

Aw she is gorgeous! :smitten: :smitten:
Yes please Karen, let me know how you get on with the other treatments. I hope something works.

karenrgpr said:
Scarlett 'runs' around just a little oddly ::)

Fluffy has always been a lazy piggy anyway and now because she is getting on a bit she is less and less active. Bless her she has huge ovarian cysts, arthritis and now bumblefoot :( she is such a trouper though :smitten:

There's something else I used on her too but I can't remember the name it did help a lot for a while and I'm going to start using it again, will let you know when I get it ::)

Betadine is the name of the 'stuff' I put on her foot. ::) I used it in a spray before but am going to use a dilute soak and then spray this time. Have got the new ointment so will let you know how we go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back