Questions about behaviour and bonding

Stacey

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey All

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone could clarify.

Long story short : I adopted 3 bonded girls from the local SSPCA. (I have never had sows and the boars I had didnt get on so I have never had a bonded pair/trio) I understand they are currently trying to re-establish whos boss. I understand this can take up to 2 weeks, maybe more maybe less.

I'm wondering what the signs of they have worked this out and all is well?
How would I be able to tell who is top dog?

I'm asking this because on Saturday when I was watching them, I could see Cleo was being the dominant one and the others seem to accept but as they have become more comfortable, Bella who was really shy and accepted it then now show signs too that maybe she isnt going to let Cleo be top and Cleo runs away when Bella starts back at her.

I have also noticed when Cleo starts to rumble strutt and making the Drrr noise she then just randomly starts popcorning all over the place and continues on with her day. Is this still a happiness thing?

I understand that there could be an outsider in the group, I'm wondering how can I tell if Jasmine is the outsider or if she just generally prefers to lie in a certain spot. She does eats with the others, does occasionally lie near them and I wouldn't say she is being bullied or anything but I find that Bella and Cleo usually lie nearer together than what Jasmine does.

We took them out for a cuddle and Jasmine screamed the whole time. Is it too soon for that? Did we scare her? I felt really bad so we put them back into their pen

Thanks in advance.

My girls from left to right : Bella, Jasmine and Cleo

Attachments

• 20220307_190803.webp
    20220307_190803.webp
    36 KB · Views: 1
The part where Cleo rumbles and then popcorns off, that's definitely a happiness thing. Comet and Blitzen used to rumble at each other, try mounting each other, fall off, and then one would zoom off and the other popcorn off.

The part where Cleo rumbles and then popcorns off, that's definitely a happiness thing. Comet and Blitzen used to rumble at each other, try mounting each other, fall off, and then one would zoom off and the other popcorn off.
Its quite funny when it happens. Cleo has been popcorning like crazy since we brought them home but Ive never seen it after the rumble haha its good to know she is happy

Back