Questionable and curious ingredients

piggie NANA

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello everyone i have a question. has anyone heard of Science Selective Guinea pig food... if you have, did you read the ingredients: Alfalfa meal, wheat, wheat hulls, soya bean meal, flaked peas, linseeds, soya oil, sodium bicarbonate, prebiotics ( MOS), dried fennel, dried dandelion. are these good for my piggy? my vet uses science selective critical care too, any thoughts

Yes it is a well known brand.
A lot of owners on here use the science selective but give the grain free version - that is not the version you have listed here.

We recommend a pellet which is timothy hay based. The food you are talking about here isn’t ideal because it is an alfalfa based food. Alfalfa is not a grass hay, it is high in calcium and consequently not recommended to be given to piggies.
With that said, whichever pellet you feed it needs to be kept limited to one tablespoon per pig per day as even the low calcium version still contains vast amounts of calcium.

This pellet now has 0.6mgs calcium,and 0.5mgs of phosphate.so they have the same values as the grainfree version.
Grainfree version is considered better,.
ive alot of piggies so buy the 10 kg bags and give tablespoon each to each piggie.i also give the grain free version.Its personal preference for both piggies and the owner.

Thank you everyone for your help. Ok I did see grain free, so I'm gonna switch to that.. I can't get them to eat the pellets by themselves. Thanks again

I switched to Science Selective grain free quite some time ago because of the advice / guidance I read here.
My piggies love them.

My piggies love SS Grain free and get very excited when they know breakfast is on the way.

Back