• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Question....

• Thread starter Thread starter Dennis-Pig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis-Pig

Ok so I am taking care of a friends guinea pig while she is away for three months, I upgraded her cage and everything as a suprise so that its not just a lill cage that you get as a 'starter kit' from many pet stores....

I take the pig out every once and a while and I've seen lately what seems to be like a 'sore' near her bum or just above it.... What it looks like to me is a 'scab' if I could describe it as that....... I don't really know what it is if anything any help would be appreciated

Its probably his grease gand... all pigs have them... I'm not sure exactly what they do... when i first noticed My male pig Wilsons one, i thought it was crusty poo ::) lol

Hope this helps... welcome to the forum by the wayb :)

I agree, sometimes my boys get a 'scab' where there grease gland is. A gentle clean is all that's needed. :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi and welcome, how's your live in friend :-*
You and the piggie will enjoy lots of play time and even hand feed some veggies whilst doing this, you'll end up being totally hooked ;)

As the others have said it sounds like a dirty grease gland. You can clean it with washing up liquid or car mechanics swarfega (stuff they use to clean their hands with), rub a little in to the area, leave on for 5 to 10 mins (making sure your piggy doesn't try to clean it off!) and wash off. I find if you get a little bit of the muck between you finger nails you can ease it off the hair, don't worry if a little hair comes off with it, it will soon grow back. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Caviesgalore said:
As the others have said it sounds like a dirty grease gland. You can clean it with washing up liquid or car mechanics swarfega (stuff they use to clean their hands with), rub a little in to the area, leave on for 5 to 10 mins (making sure your piggy doesn't try to clean it off!) and wash off. I find if you get a little bit of the muck between you finger nails you can ease it off the hair, don't worry if a little hair comes off with it, it will soon grow back. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

hahah I can imagine them with shiney bald butts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back