Question

juniperandfluffysmom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I have a boy guinea pig and a girl my daughter says is lola but I named her juniper since she named the boy fluffy. So the boy is chasing the girl both were squeaking I removed the girl then the boy started to squeak a lot. Is he hurting her or trying to do otherwise? I saw that two girls get along well or a boy and girl but not two boys? I am assuming the girl is only 6 months she is so tiny. The boy I know is 6 months but he is bigger according to the store as they had him for 6 months. The white ones all white apparently get bought more than ones with three colors I was told not sure why. I just don't want her to have babies and die or the babies die. So I am not sure if anyone would have a good guess to their ages or what to do should they be kept seperate? Watched closely together? Not sure. I just know a lot of the boys I saw looked skinny but the boy I got was bigger. The girl I got shes just tiny in size not really a skinny or chubby one compared to how skinny the white ones were. She looks like she eats well just tiny in size. like small like how a mouse or dwarf hamster is little she is little if that makes sense.

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

First, please do not keep the two of them together since pet stores do not spay/neuter their animals. She will become pregnant if they are kept together. She will need to be kept on a pregnancy watch since Fluffy was trying to breed with her. They cannot even have playdates.

She is probably so small since she is just really young.

I'm copying some of the helpful guides that we use on the forum. These are very helpful and I reread them even after having guinea pigs for a few years.
Helpful Info Collections for Wannabes & Owners
Daily Care Guides
Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides

I'm sure other members of the forum will be able to give you some excellent advice. However, most of our members are in the UK so they are all asleep right now. Someone will probably comment once it is daytime in the UK.

If you have one male and one female then please separate them immediately.
You can arrange for the male to be neutered and then six weeks after he has been neutered as is no longer fertile you can rebond them on neutral territory.
You can contact again us for help after he is neutered and six week safe as bonding guinea pigs is a specific procedure in neutral territory.

As they have already been together, you will need to assume the female is pregnant and will need to wait out the next 10 weeks in case she gives birth.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...-for-pregnancy-birth-mother-baby-care.191238/

Please make sure you weigh them both each week as part of routine care. This is to monitor that they are eating enough hay.
They should both gain weight each week as they are young and will be growing fast.

Weight - Monitoring and Management

What you have seen about two boys not getting in is untrue.
Boar pairs are wonderful and you will find many of us keep just boar pairs. I am one of them.

Back