Question re: chewing coroplast

CavyMom58

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi... I recently changed my piggies' pen to a C&C with the coroplast border coming up about 6 inches on the sides. Now, especially when I am not around to guard and correct them, they are both chewing the coroplast sides at the top. I tried getting binder borders which are made from a very hard plastic, but I struggled a lot to place them on the edges of the coroplast... I couldn't do it and gave up. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to prevent them from chewing the coroplast? I keep their hay topped off all day. I provide chew items including "cookies" made of Timothy Hay, a hay holder/tunnel also made from what seems to be baked Timothy Hay (from Kaytee)... they both do chew this as well as their "cookies", but seem to prefer the coroplast! Also feed them their veggies and pellets every day. So I don't believe it is hunger causing them to chew it. I try to keep them entertained a bit each day... lap time, floor time when I can, etc. I'm struggling with this one... any suggestions would be appreciated.

It’s definitely not hunger - chewing is just a normal piggy behaviour.
Putting on the edge binders are the best way to stop them from being able to do it.

What enrichment do you provide in their cage?
Do you scatter feed their veg and pellets instead of using food bowls?

Have you tried sliding the binders on from the end? The ones I got were quite stiff and a bit of a battle. I did it with no piggies at home and the coroplast out of the grids.
We have quite a wonky shape CC and I sometimes use a single layer of fleece tucked over the coroplast top to prevent any unwanted chewing. I tuck it under the fleece pee pads at the bottom & hope no pig decides to use it as a tunnel. You might just need to break the cycle.
(One of our guinea pigs, Wally is a crazy bar chewer, but that’s another story altogether!)

I have to splay the end of a binder border with a spoon or similar to get it to slide onto thr correx. It's a bit of a fiddle but once you get the knack of it, everything works out. Once the binder borders are in place, the pigs can chew to their hearts content without any fear of eating thr correx.
Persevere with it and as @AidaB says, take the correx out to work on if need be.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I will persevere trying to get the binders in place... Taking the coroplast out to do so sounds like a good plan. Plus widening the binders with a spoon or some tool to get it started on the coroplast... I will have to cut the edges where they have chewed to smooth them out as they are pretty rough right now, but I can do that. May be a bit of a project that will have to wait for a day off work, but I will let you know how it goes. THANK YOU! So glad to have found this group!

One thing I found with the slide binders was they come in different sizes. I got 5mm for 4mm Corex and I couldn't get them on. I got bigger ones and I could slide them on from the ends. It was quite a few years ago and I can't remember but I have a feeling they were 7mm or 9mm. The problem I had with them was my RB piggy Nugget used to put his bottom teeth under the binder and yank it off! He would stand and stare at me with a look that said you can't stop me and as soon as I started to move towards him the binder was on the floor and he was taking his frustration out on the Corex.

One thing I found with the slide binders was they come in different sizes. I got 5mm for 4mm Corex and I couldn't get them on. I got bigger ones and I could slide them on from the ends. It was quite a few years ago and I can't remember but I have a feeling they were 7mm or 9mm. The problem I had with them was my RB piggy Nugget used to put his bottom teeth under the binder and yank it off! He would stand and stare at me with a look that said you can't stop me and as soon as I started to move towards him the binder was on the floor and he was taking his frustration out on the Corex.
Hooligan. I'm glad my Bumble doesn't realise how to get them off.

They were a nightmare to get on. I slid them on from the ends it's a hard job.

Once I realized that my piggy was chewing the sides of her cage, I instantly started to research the materials it was made of. (Keep in mind that this is only the research I’ve done for my cage specifically, it may be different for others.) I found that the plastic was totally chemical-free, and made from safe materials that would break down quickly, causing no harm to my piggy. From further observations, I also realized that my piggy was only chewing on the sides of her cage, rather than actually swallowing the bits that came off. (The plastic shavings were clustered in piles under her cage when I cleaned it out.) Therefore, I didn’t see a reason to try and cover up the sides of the cage permanently. Usually what I do is put a cardboard toy or ramp over the chewed area, and that seems to be working fine. I recommend researching your piggy’s cage before buying, or if you haven’t already, then doing so now. Hope this helps!

Smart little potatoes, aren't they!?! So what did you do then?

It’s definitely not hunger - chewing is just a normal piggy behaviour.
Putting on the edge binders are the best way to stop them from being able to do it.

What enrichment do you provide in their cage?
Do you scatter feed their veg and pellets instead of using food bowls?
They have a chewable hay rack/tunnel, and hay based chewable treats, I do scatter some of their food, especially veggies and pellets, and they do a pretty good job of scattering their own hay... I'm considering getting some custom cut wood panels to replace the coroplast border pieces. Do you think that would be safe for them? Would work? If so, any suggestions as to type of wood?

It really comes down to how much of an issue it is for you. They would be just as likely to chew chunks out of the wood instead. My piggies pretty much redesigned parts of their hutch by chewing it!

Smart little potatoes, aren't they!?! So what did you do then?
When the corex got so chewed up it was hard to slide them back on I trimmed some off, in the end he chewed more or less a 2 grid wide space at the front of the cage down to the floor and I left it. I put heavy log tunnels across the back to stop him getting to the edges. Down the side I doubled the binders over on the end of each one so they were held on tight and he struggled to get them off, the other side didn't have a corex side because it was a divided cage, he more or less gave up then. I'm not sure if this was because he found it too hard or because he wasn't feeling well. He sadly died at the age of 3 due to a growth in his stomach area, he'd had a grease gland tumour removed a year before. We think it had probably spread, he was waiting for a scan on the Monday but sadly died at home on the Saturday before it could be done. I pretty sure the scan would have resulted in PTS so I was glad in a way he was saved from the vet visit and sedation. He was a very smart boy, beautiful and it was a terrible shock to lose him so young.

That’s so devastating- he sounded like a real character too. My RB pig Betty had very similar hooligan tendencies when it came to the cage and lifting up the nibble guards in triumph! She was easily the most wilful creature (human or animal) I’ve ever met - we absolutely adored her. She knew what she was doing and would look at the humans after she’s beaten us as if to say ‘come on them what’s your next idea?’ She died 2 weeks after an abdominal mass surgery at 3 and we were absolutely broken. I’m glad your boy didn’t suffer for long and he sounds like had a lot of fun. We still have chew marks and holes in the cage walls, floor (and on some of my clothes!) from Betty and every time I see them it makes me smile.

With our less chewy pigs, nibble guards and fleece tucked in on the main areas seems to be enough.

I do love a cheeky pig and sometimes they refuse to be beaten when it comes to the battle of the chews!

When the corex got so chewed up it was hard to slide them back on I trimmed some off, in the end he chewed more or less a 2 grid wide space at the front of the cage down to the floor and I left it. I put heavy log tunnels across the back to stop him getting to the edges. Down the side I doubled the binders over on the end of each one so they were held on tight and he struggled to get them off, the other side didn't have a corex side because it was a divided cage, he more or less gave up then. I'm not sure if this was because he found it too hard or because he wasn't feeling well. He sadly died at the age of 3 due to a growth in his stomach area, he'd had a grease gland tumour removed a year before. We think it had probably spread, he was waiting for a scan on the Monday but sadly died at home on the Saturday before it could be done. I pretty sure the scan would have resulted in PTS so I was glad in a way he was saved from the vet visit and sedation. He was a very smart boy, beautiful and it was a terrible shock to lose him so young.

@LucyP we also have a few chewed bits around the house still. Skirting boards, cupboard and the edge of the sofa mainly. Duck and Bertie's cage has a duct taped insert along the front to give them a cage edge to stop the hay spilling out. I do intend to give them a new Corex insert one day but haven't got round to it!

Oh... I am sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. Thank you for your message and explanation of how you managed the chewing. Mine have slowed down with it... I purchased a couple of hard chew tunnels/hay racks made out of hay that they can go to town on and they do. Occasionally they continue to chew the corex but not nearly as much. I don't care if they do it as long as it doesn't harm them in any way. Also, may I ask what "PTS" stands for? I am still learning... a lot!

Once I realized that my piggy was chewing the sides of her cage, I instantly started to research the materials it was made of. (Keep in mind that this is only the research I’ve done for my cage specifically, it may be different for others.) I found that the plastic was totally chemical-free, and made from safe materials that would break down quickly, causing no harm to my piggy. From further observations, I also realized that my piggy was only chewing on the sides of her cage, rather than actually swallowing the bits that came off. (The plastic shavings were clustered in piles under her cage when I cleaned it out.) Therefore, I didn’t see a reason to try and cover up the sides of the cage permanently. Usually what I do is put a cardboard toy or ramp over the chewed area, and that seems to be working fine. I recommend researching your piggy’s cage before buying, or if you haven’t already, then doing so now. Hope this helps!
Thank you... It seems the coroplast is basically harmless which is good because I don't find the shavings... it seems he is swallowing. But he is doing less of it lately and I have found ways to keep him away from it for the most part. I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions! This is a great group!

Oh... I am sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. Thank you for your message and explanation of how you managed the chewing. Mine have slowed down with it... I purchased a couple of hard chew tunnels/hay racks made out of hay that they can go to town on and they do. Occasionally they continue to chew the corex but not nearly as much. I don't care if they do it as long as it doesn't harm them in any way. Also, may I ask what "PTS" stands for? I am still learning... a lot!
PTS is Put To Sleep.
I am pleased to hear yours have slowed down with the chewing, long may it continue!

Back