Question about the edible food list

Meerschweinchen_Blackforest

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding if Root Ginger and Eggplant fall under Questionable vegetables or Other Vegetables that are okay to feed (eggplant is on offer at the moment here)

Can someone provide more depth to this as I find the formatting of the list confusing?

TIA

I'm guessing Ginger is a bit too spicy for them?

Yes it is.
It is in the not recommended/dangerous list

The list is in sections rated by vit c content.
The first two headings are items which are fine to be fed but some to much lesser amounts due to sugars, calcium etc

There is then a heading of not recommended/ dangerous foods. Everything under that needs to be avoided

Questionable heading is under the not recommended foods heading.
Best to just avoid anything from dangerous/not recommended downwards!

I'm having trouble understanding if Root Ginger and Eggplant fall under Questionable vegetables or Other Vegetables that are okay to feed (eggplant is on offer at the moment here)

Can someone provide more depth to this as I find the formatting of the list confusing?

TIA

Hi

Root ginger (ingwer) is not suitable at all and aubergine (USA: egg plant) is edible in small amounts but not recommended to be part of a guinea pig diet.

We get questions about whether certain foods are edible or not on a fairly regular basis; for his reason we have kept the old list from the very early days of this forum available even though after nearly 20 years the concept of a mainly veg and fruit based guinea pig diet has moved on a lot.
But what that thread most certainly does not answer is whether any particular item that is non-toxic should be actually part of a guinea pig diet or not.

For a good and balanced diet, you may want to rather think about what kind of plants would guinea pigs supplement their grass based diet (fresh and dry) with and rather prefer plantss that are actually coming closer to that - no large, rich seed bearing veg and fruit, massively enlarged roots, fatty and starchy seeds etc. They should be at the very best only a very occasional special treat in a very small quantity.

The difference between a mainly hay and forage based diet and a much more veg and pellet based diet can make 1-3 years in the life normal average life span of a healthy guinea pig.

Back