Question about Outdoor Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankeesh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I joined this forum today as we picked up my new piggy Wilfred (wilf for short! ;D ). Wilf is an outdoor piggy who lives in my shed, off the floor on a work bench. In his house he has a bed of woodshavings, a bed similar to those off of the Cosy Cavy website and his "bedroom" is filled with straw. However being the nervous new piggy mum I was wondering if there was anything I could do to make sure Wilf stays warm and cosy during the nights, or if what i have done is enough? :)

Many Thanks,Frankee

Hi Frankee and welcome to the forum and to the joy of piggy ownership! :)

Different people have different views about bedding, check out the comments and thoughts in the section at the top of this page re. bedding. I personally don't use woodshavings, they can lead to respiratory problems, and I find they dry my hands out terribly so I dread to think what they do to the piggies feet! I would also recommend you use hay instead of straw as straw can lead to eye injuries and piggies love nothing better than running through/burying themselves in nice fresh hay. Keeping Wilf (love the name!) in the shed is a great idea, if it is particularly cold you could always cover his accommodation over with a nice thick blanket to keep any draughts out. Have you considered getting Wilf a friend? Piggies are very sociable little creatures and love a playmate - have a read through some of the posts on the forum about bonding etc.

I hope you are aware that piggies are very addictive! ;D Look forward to seeing you around.

Thankyou Caviesgalore, I will check out those posts!
I thought about getting Wilf a friend, I will definately think more seriously about it now though (one can only lead to another.... ;D ) And I did mean to type hay instead of straw, having horses as well I tend to get myself muddled up often! :embarassed: It isnt too cold around here at the moment, I will go and look around at the Pets At Home near us tomorrow though to check out what there is on offer to keep him warm! Thanks for your help :)

Frankee

Hell need plenty of hay and i would use that instead of straw as he can lay in it as well as eat it O0

He will also need fresh fruit and veg every other day or every day :D

Why not get him a friend too as he will get lonely :( :)

I have 3 girls living in an outdoor shed free range, they have a big bed area which i have pro-fleece on the bottom of, then i stuff hay in and a few blankets over the top and they are nice and warm with that, they always feel toasty! :)

a cardboard box is a good insulator and put newspaper under your shavings too if its an outdoor hutch you can always get an old duvet cover and put that over the top and get a tarpoling sheet and put taht over he's covered from the rain then too, just make sure there is some air getting in, i would deffo get him a friend as being alone he has nobody to cuddle up with and get warm if there are 2 they keep each other warm and its company for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back