Question about medicine dose

Cait_lin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. My two boars have been prescribed Xeno 450 Spot-On for possible mites, but the information I can find says it's to be used for guinea pigs, rabbits and ferrets over 1200g. Both my boys weigh less than 1000g and the vet did weigh them during the appointment. I'm going to do some more research, I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this treatment before or knows if it would be safe considering their weights? Thank you

Yes it fine if the vet has said for you to do that - you just normally use part of a pipette rather than a whole pippette to get the dosage right. The vet should have told you how many drops to use.

It’s more effective than using xeno 50. 50 isn’t strong enough for adult piggies. The dosage is better on 450 as 50 is much weaker so you end up using multiple pipettes per dose to get it right. (Which then costs more!)

Yes it fine if the vet has said for you to do that - you just normally use part of a pipette rather than a whole pippette to get the dosage right. The vet should have told you how many drops to use.

It’s more effective than using xeno 50. 50 isn’t strong enough for adult piggies. The dosage is better on 450 as 50 is much weaker so you end up using multiple pipettes per dose to get it right. (Which then costs more!)
Oh, I wondered why they didn't prescribe the one for smaller pigs but that makes a lot more sense now, thank you! The vet did say to use half a pippette for each boy which does sound right.

Hi. My two boars have been prescribed Xeno 450 Spot-On for possible mites, but the information I can find says it's to be used for guinea pigs, rabbits and ferrets over 1200g. Both my boys weigh less than 1000g and the vet did weigh them during the appointment. I'm going to do some more research, I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this treatment before or knows if it would be safe considering their weights? Thank you

Hi

There is unfortunately no xeno for the range between 800-1200g. It is however better to scale down from xeno 450g because it is the stronger concentration for adults (xeno 50 is used for babies).

Give about three quarters of a pipette and not the full pipette.

Hi

There is unfortunately no xeno for the range between 800-1200g. It however better to scale down from xeno 450g because it is the stronger concentration for adults (xeno 50 is used for babies).

Give about three quarters of a pipette and not the full pipette.
Oh, that makes sense, thank you!

Back