Question about cage size due to health issues.

Authara

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you’re all doing well.

I’m going to be honest, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so please forgive me, and correct me, if this is the wrong place. I was originally going to place this in illness and health, but I wasn’t sure if that was correct either.

Anyway, I have a 5-7 year old piggy named Ella. She had to be rushed to the emergency vet two nights ago due to her back legs refusing to work. She was diagnosed with pretty bad arthritis and a spinal shift. She currently resides in an 8 Sq. ft cage by herself. The doctor has said she refuses to really move while she’s been in hospitalization. I was wondering, before she comes home in a day or two, if I should switch her to a smaller cage where she’ll be able to reach her food bowl & water bottle a bit better, even if only temporary, until she feels like perhaps moving again? I’m not home all day in order to help her move to her food or water, as I work during the day and so does everyone else in my home. I’m not sure if I should place her in a smaller cage during the weekdays while I work then come home and place her back into her normal cage or what, but I feel as though that would be too much moving and stress on her everyday. Or should I just keep her in her same cage and search for a stand up water bottle that’s placed near her, and place her food bowl closer as well as her hay? I’ll be asking the doctor for her opinion as well next time she calls tomorrow to give me a check in about her, but wanted a few other opinions as well.

Thanks a bunch in advance! I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't change her current cage, but the idea of making sure she has easy access to food and water is very important.

Hopefully her arthritis and mobility issues will be treated now she has been diagnosed, and this will give her some more mobility?

Hay is the most important part of any guinea pig diet so it is important that she can easily reach large piles of hay without having to move too much.
Hopefully she is up and about a bit more very soon, but in the meantime you might find this guide useful:
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

:agr: I wouldn’t make her cage smaller either.
I would make sure hay is in multiple places in the cage but particularly at the place she is resting most. If she is still reluctant to move much, then I would position her and her hide at the edge of the cage so she is also right by her bottle (assuming it’s one which attaches to the side of the cage), perhaps even offering a bowl of water as well. Hopefully once she is home she will feel like moving a bit more.
Make sure she is on a good absorbent bedding and that you change it several. times a day if she isn’t moving around much
i hope she is ok

Last edited:
Good luck. I hope she is soon on the road to recovery once the medication kicks in.

Back