Question about bonding an anxious sow with other pigs

emmyk89

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I am wondering the best way to bond my guinea pigs. I have a pair of rescued sows (mother & daughter) who I have had for 2.5 years. During that time, I have tried to bond them with 2 neutered males (not at the same time!) I have a couple of past posts I made about the bondings on here.

Scoot, the daughter has been the concern during those failed bondings – she is very very assertive and dominant and I believe possibly fearful of other pigs at the same time. Both bondings occurred in different ways. The first one with reggie – over a full day, where they were all in a play pen (neutral space) separated by dividers for hours, which was their first meeting, then finally dividers were removed later on and she hated Reggie almost immediately – lunging and squealing at him, chasing him and doing the “power lie in” as Wiebke described it.

Then we took in another male about a year later, Wilbur who we had neutered. We had them in a neutral pen with dividers a couple of times before he was neutured then after his neuter was done and healed we had them in pen again separated by dividers then we divided Scoot & merlins cage in half with C and C grids, and Wilbur lived alongside them for months too. Finally we then did the neutral pen first with dividers for an hour or so, then without dividers with all 3 pigs in for the rest of the time. Scoot seemed to like him initially – grooming next to each other and never really taking much notice of him. Until ofc he does what a boy does getting excited and rumbling and nosing their bums and sides etc. Scoot did not appreciate it ended up doing what she did to Reggie (but not quite as bad) – she chased wilbur round a lot (no power lie ins though, she just wouldn’t leave him alone) chattering and some squaring up, so that was a firm no from Scoot again! The point of them living together side by side for a few months was to try and put scoot as ease if she was fearful so she could get to know him a bit, but obv that didn't work or impact her decision at the proper divider-free bonding.

Wilbur was then paired with one of the girls from the trio and lived happily with her till he died in Dec :( she is now back with the trio (reggie and her sister, introduced as if it was a fresh online in a neutral area) and they're currently getting along.

An opportunity has risen to adopt a lone neutured male from someone and I wonder if anyone had any more advice on how I could go about another bonding, knowing scoots history.

Like I said, I think she's fearful of other pigs. Whenever I have been holding another pig and showed it her through the bars of the cage she comes over for a sniff , seems friendly initially and then always chatters and occasionly has lunged a bit towards the pig I'm holding (through the bars). She is always on edge generally and as her name suggests - shes very skittish she scoots off constantly and is more of a hider and spends most of her time in hides, under the towels, boxes etc. And she has lived in my living room for the 2 years where we spend most of our time so she is used to our routine/noises etc. You generally can't stroke her unless you approach her very slowly and make no sudden movements, however she is alot friendlier & less skittish then when we got her and has made great progress.

Problem is if her cage mate dies before her she will be alone if she can't get on with other pigs, and she's lovely with her cage mate (her mum) they never fight or anything like that, she usually just pinches her food from her at the worst. She does occasionally barber/eat her mums fur though - it doesn't seem to cause merlin any stress at all, but sometimes you can see the chewed green ends where she has chewed it. I actually saw her doing this Wilbur briefly while they were in the bonding pen.

Has anyone got any suggestions to try and ease her anxiety (if it is that causing her aggression) with other pigs or general bonding tips? I wonder if separating "her" cage with dividers and having him live alongside them for a bit is an issue because she sees that as her cage/territory?

Could taking her and him out in the car in a carrier for a short while help her bond with him? My fella has asked this but I think it will just cause her more stress and associate the other pig with that stress.

I wonder if the "neutral space" we tried to bond them in wasn't really neutral - it's in the same house and scoot has been out and about for their floor time on other occasions on the same floor/mats but washed for bondings.

Other pairings between reggie, Peanut and Yeti and then Wilbur and Peanut went well in the same environment as scoots bondings however, so I think it could just be scoot and she will either like or dislike a pig regardless of any of the above!

What you reckon?

Here's a photos of Scoot because she's very cute really and is still lovely 😍

Attachments

• 20230903_113854.webp
    20230903_113854.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220930_081547.webp
    20220930_081547.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220916_135849.webp
    20220916_135849.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi all!

So I am wondering the best way to bond my guinea pigs. I have a pair of rescued sows (mother & daughter) who I have had for 2.5 years. During that time, I have tried to bond them with 2 neutered males (not at the same time!) I have a couple of past posts I made about the bondings on here.

Scoot, the daughter has been the concern during those failed bondings – she is very very assertive and dominant and I believe possibly fearful of other pigs at the same time. Both bondings occurred in different ways. The first one with reggie – over a full day, where they were all in a play pen (neutral space) separated by dividers for hours, which was their first meeting, then finally dividers were removed later on and she hated Reggie almost immediately – lunging and squealing at him, chasing him and doing the “power lie in” as Wiebke described it.

Then we took in another male about a year later, Wilbur who we had neutered. We had them in a neutral pen with dividers a couple of times before he was neutured then after his neuter was done and healed we had them in pen again separated by dividers then we divided Scoot & merlins cage in half with C and C grids, and Wilbur lived alongside them for months too. Finally we then did the neutral pen first with dividers for an hour or so, then without dividers with all 3 pigs in for the rest of the time. Scoot seemed to like him initially – grooming next to each other and never really taking much notice of him. Until ofc he does what a boy does getting excited and rumbling and nosing their bums and sides etc. Scoot did not appreciate it ended up doing what she did to Reggie (but not quite as bad) – she chased wilbur round a lot (no power lie ins though, she just wouldn’t leave him alone) chattering and some squaring up, so that was a firm no from Scoot again! The point of them living together side by side for a few months was to try and put scoot as ease if she was fearful so she could get to know him a bit, but obv that didn't work or impact her decision at the proper divider-free bonding.

Wilbur was then paired with one of the girls from the trio and lived happily with her till he died in Dec :( she is now back with the trio (reggie and her sister, introduced as if it was a fresh online in a neutral area) and they're currently getting along.

An opportunity has risen to adopt a lone neutured male from someone and I wonder if anyone had any more advice on how I could go about another bonding, knowing scoots history.

Like I said, I think she's fearful of other pigs. Whenever I have been holding another pig and showed it her through the bars of the cage she comes over for a sniff , seems friendly initially and then always chatters and occasionly has lunged a bit towards the pig I'm holding (through the bars). She is always on edge generally and as her name suggests - shes very skittish she scoots off constantly and is more of a hider and spends most of her time in hides, under the towels, boxes etc. And she has lived in my living room for the 2 years where we spend most of our time so she is used to our routine/noises etc. You generally can't stroke her unless you approach her very slowly and make no sudden movements, however she is alot friendlier & less skittish then when we got her and has made great progress.

Problem is if her cage mate dies before her she will be alone if she can't get on with other pigs, and she's lovely with her cage mate (her mum) they never fight or anything like that, she usually just pinches her food from her at the worst. She does occasionally barber/eat her mums fur though - it doesn't seem to cause merlin any stress at all, but sometimes you can see the chewed green ends where she has chewed it. I actually saw her doing this Wilbur briefly while they were in the bonding pen.

Has anyone got any suggestions to try and ease her anxiety (if it is that causing her aggression) with other pigs or general bonding tips? I wonder if separating "her" cage with dividers and having him live alongside them for a bit is an issue because she sees that as her cage/territory?

Could taking her and him out in the car in a carrier for a short while help her bond with him? My fella has asked this but I think it will just cause her more stress and associate the other pig with that stress.

I wonder if the "neutral space" we tried to bond them in wasn't really neutral - it's in the same house and scoot has been out and about for their floor time on other occasions on the same floor/mats but washed for bondings.

Other pairings between reggie, Peanut and Yeti and then Wilbur and Peanut went well in the same environment as scoots bondings however, so I think it could just be scoot and she will either like or dislike a pig regardless of any of the above!

What you reckon?

Here's a photos of Scoot because she's very cute really and is still lovely 😍

Hi

Fear-aggression is the only time I would recommend to slow-bond; each time taking the bonding process as far as the point when your girl is going on overload - little tester meetings won't allow them to work through the bonding protocol. Then stop and start again after a few days. There is no guarantee that it works; you can only do that as long as the companion plays ball or she may decide that the other parti is not up to scratch.

This method did work for me a few times but I have ended also up with a few singles who wouldn't accept a companion after a bereavement. Thankfully, I can offer plenty of company through the bars. My most difficult customer ever was a sow found dumped on the grounds of a cricket club. She must have been a much loved single before that but didn't know how to really deal with other piggies. Eventually she became friends with a squishy group survivor - but even though it took me about 3 weeks and several bonding sessions while living with a divider in the meantime.
Stress scenarios like a buddy bath or a drive or scent masking are no longer recommended because they are ultimately counterproductive . Ultimately, it always comes down whether the piggies want to be together or not - and that is personality driven.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (contains a chapter on fear-aggression)

Hi

Fear-aggression is the only time I would recommend to slow-bond; each time taking the bonding process as far as the point when your girl is going on overload - little tester meetings won't allow them to work through the bonding protocol. Then stop and start again after a few days. There is no guarantee that it works; you can only do that as long as the companion plays ball or she may decide that the other parti is not up to scratch.
Hi Wiebke

Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure I understand what you mean - do you mean have them together without dividers several times and end the session before she starts showing signs of stress and fear?

How about them living side by side with dividers in between sessions?

Thanks, I've read these guides quite a few times :)

Hi Wiebke

Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure I understand what you mean - do you mean have them together without dividers several times and end the session before she starts showing signs of stress and fear?

How about them living side by side with dividers in between sessions?

Thanks, I've read these guides quite a few times :)

You keep them with a divider but conduct the bonding in a neutral space every few days for as long as your fear-aggressive sow can bear. Stop as soon as she is going on overload or the bonding is starting to turn hostile. If the piggies continue to assure each other that they want to be friends (like with mutual piggy washes) once back in their divided cage, you are still on course. If the behaviour afterwards is turning hostile or territorial, it has failed. It is a very delicate balance you have to tread, and you have to be careful with reading the body language.

This guide link here may help you: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Thanks for the info :)

So, plan is then: after a week or 2 of isolation to make sure he is well/lice free etc, I'll have the new boar live alongside the girls, with a divider and then put them all together every couple of days as mini bonding sessions :)

The neutured boars the woman has are apparently only young (5 months and 10 months old) so do you think this might have a good outcome too? The other boars we tried her with the last 2 times were always older and bigger then her. Scoot is now 3.5 years and she has calmed down alot - you used to not be able to stroke her anywhere past her shoulder blades or she would kick and spin round, dart off, but now you can stroke her from her head to her backside and she carries on eating, fingers crossed she's a little calmer now :)

Thanks for the info :)

So, plan is then: after a week or 2 of isolation to make sure he is well/lice free etc, I'll have the new boar live alongside the girls, with a divider and then put them all together every couple of days as mini bonding sessions :)

The neutured boars the woman has are apparently only young (5 months and 10 months old) so do you think this might have a good outcome too? The other boars we tried her with the last 2 times were always older and bigger then her. Scoot is now 3.5 years and she has calmed down alot - you used to not be able to stroke her anywhere past her shoulder blades or she would kick and spin round, dart off, but now you can stroke her from her head to her backside and she carries on eating, fingers crossed she's a little calmer now :)

Hi

Neutered boars are teenagers with a life time hormone high round 6 months as others; some are much more hormone driven than others.
Personality comes long before age; what you are looking for is a non-dominant boar who is not immediately going on a hormone overload - but even then there is no guarantee - all you can ever do is try. You want a rumble-singer rather than a mountaineer (this is my description of how boars generally react in the presence of sows).

Hehe good way of describing them!

Reggie who she was tried with first, wasn't at all a hormone overloaded mountaineer - he didn't chase her about, sniff her backside or rumble about one bit but instead ate with her etc and she hated him haha. Wilbur, was a mountaineer, very rumbley, sniffy and humpy and she seemed to like him more initially haha untill she got overwhelmed I guess

Guess you can never tell but I'll speak to the woman about their pigs history and if they've ever lived with or been around females etc

*was meant to add that reggie ate with her, did his own thing, didn't bug her etc.

I guess she's just very picky too and wants the perfect husboar haha

I have found my last post along with some videos here Bonding session today, not sure if its failed?

Scoot is the grey/white fluffbag. The male is the white/ginger one.

I had a look and watch through those vids & some extra ones I have saved on my phone today of that bonding and I'm still a bit worried, in that I don't have 100% full confidence in reading her behaviour- I am completely fine with the others.

There were only a couple of replies on that post, so I just wanted to ask a few more things. Does it look like the bonding failed on those vids or is that the usual bonding process for some pigs? My others have never acted in the way she did so I can't tell if she was telling him to "get lost, I don't want you in the group" or it was the usual hierarchy settling process. My gut is telling me it's the firmer and that she didn't want him in the group, but ofc I don't want to misread and call off a bonding when it's still in the hierarchy settling stage.

Just trying to prepare myself for next time :)

Hi @Wiebke

So we picked the new piggy up and he's only a few months old. We let him settle in and then had him on the sofa with us nd scoot with a few snacks- he was fairly scared and still so didn't bother her. She licked his ears, sniffed all his fur and groomed him a bit.

The day after we set up a bonding pen with brand new picnic blanket and towels and had all 3 pigs in, for only 15 mins, no hides etc and just a few piles of hay.

Iniaitlly she started sniffing his bum but after about 10 seconds unfortunately he got startled by one of us moving and ran into her which started a strange pattern of behaviour - she obviously lungedat him at that point and got startled after he ran into her then after she kept following him and nipping his bum and pulled fur out a few times. Whenever he stopped to turn around she chattered/higher pitched complaining at him head on, so he chattered back side on, she lunged at him head on, then he would run away. Then she would suddenly stop and walk off eating. This happened in a cycle a few times for no apparent reason like when he's just eating hay or when he was passing by, we ended the session when the final time she lunged they ended up having a little roll around - he was close to the edge and so she lunged him into the bars so he had nowhere to go. Nobody was bitten.

They are now in a divided cage, I haven't seen her do any power lie ins but nor have I seen her groom herself near him or anything. She eats hay next to him but never sleeps there and instead sleeps at the other end of the cage (she normally liked lying there anyway) whereas he is lying close to the divider most of the time (alongside it sometimes, side on and facing away) He and merlin have groomed themselves and slept side by side but not scoot. He has been doing alot of rumble strutting at the bars and sticking his nose in, scoot has stuck her nose into his alot too.

Does this sound like she hasn't accepted him into the group? And could this change?

Hi @Wiebke

So we picked the new piggy up and he's only a few months old. We let him settle in and then had him on the sofa with us nd scoot with a few snacks- he was fairly scared and still so didn't bother her. She licked his ears, sniffed all his fur and groomed him a bit.

The day after we set up a bonding pen with brand new picnic blanket and towels and had all 3 pigs in, for only 15 mins, no hides etc and just a few piles of hay.

Iniaitlly she started sniffing his bum but after about 10 seconds unfortunately he got startled by one of us moving and ran into her which started a strange pattern of behaviour - she obviously lungedat him at that point and got startled after he ran into her then after she kept following him and nipping his bum and pulled fur out a few times. Whenever he stopped to turn around she chattered/higher pitched complaining at him head on, so he chattered back side on, she lunged at him head on, then he would run away. Then she would suddenly stop and walk off eating. This happened in a cycle a few times for no apparent reason like when he's just eating hay or when he was passing by, we ended the session when the final time she lunged they ended up having a little roll around - he was close to the edge and so she lunged him into the bars so he had nowhere to go. Nobody was bitten.

They are now in a divided cage, I haven't seen her do any power lie ins but nor have I seen her groom herself near him or anything. She eats hay next to him but never sleeps there and instead sleeps at the other end of the cage (she normally liked lying there anyway) whereas he is lying close to the divider most of the time (alongside it sometimes, side on and facing away) He and merlin have groomed themselves and slept side by side but not scoot. He has been doing alot of rumble strutting at the bars and sticking his nose in, scoot has stuck her nose into his alot too.

Does this sound like she hasn't accepted him into the group? And could this change?

Hi and welcome

After a friendly opening, the bonding in the pen was a disaster. A mouth full fur is the sow equivalent of a full on fighting bite. Lunging is defensive behaviour; it means 'stay out of my space'; lunging tackles are the strongest form of it. I highly doubt that Scoot will change her opinion. In my own experience, once sows have made up their mind about a new piggy (and that can happen in a split second), they will stick with it for years or a full lifetime to come. :(

I am very sorry.

Thanks Wiebke. I thought this would be the case! It's strange, I mean he didn't try humping or chasing her or anything. He did try to sniff her bum but she didn't like that.

It's a shame but its the third time she's been tried with a neutered male now (all 3 have been very different, like first one left her to it, 2nd one was very rumbly, humpy and sniffy, this guy was just a little rumbly and interested, not humpy) so we won't try again, in the future when her cage mate dies a sow may be better, do you reckon?

We have 2 other sows we can try him with instead so he won't be alone :)

Back