• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Question about boars

• Thread starter Thread starter Jodiec
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jodiec

Hi, i'm new to this forum so quickly introduce myself. I have 4 rescue pigs, 2 females (Daisy and Maisy) and 2 males (Bertie and Ernie).
I have a question about the boys. Whilst doing the usual cleaning routine for the boys which i normally do every 2 weeks as this is all they seem to need (bottom area cleaning i mean) Ernie seems to always have a really creamy willy (sorry for crudeness) but i was cleaning this area every 2 week but this week he had white cream all over his bits and the plug and it looked really gross alot more than usual. Then 2 days later i thought i'd check him and it was creamy again. I wondered if this was normal or is it infected? He's a quite 3 year old and i've never seen him get exicited as boys do so wonder what is going on. Should his willy be creamy all the time?

This is quite normal.,it is a secretian from the perineal glands.Some boars secrete more than others.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for that - i was worried cause my other pig who does get exited and still acts childish is pretty clean down there when i look - apart from some hay etc up his bottom.
I had been thinking about having them neutured for a few reason - one hygine as i read somewhere that the risk of inpaction may be reduced if they were netured, i also had a neutured male before and he always had a clean bottom - no need for messing about down there. Also if anything did happen to anyone of them i can get them a girlfriend if needed, and to do it sooner rather than later as they are 2 and 3 years old. Also had i got them from the rspca now - they would have already been netured! What do you think - i know most of you with boars would say don't do it?

Yep, dont do it!.

I have never heard before that neutering can lesson the risk of impaction.I am not saying it is untrue,but I do think it is unlikely.Nuetering does however,make them prone to prolapse,and I would rather have impaction than that.

Not all boars get impaction and in any case as long as they are kept cleaned out there is no health risk.,and it only takes a minute or two.

I would never have a piggy castrated for those reasons either, only to live with a sow. My own castrated boar gets extremely creamy and he's very laid back too, I haven't found castration makes a difference. I find it hard to believe the impaction thing (but then I'm not medically trained :) ) as the muscles there have been 'messed with I'd have thought it more likely? I've had castrated guineas here that have been impacted too so its not without exception if it is true.

I have 2 neutered boars, both approx 4 years old, one suffers with impaction the other doesn't, i'd say neutering doesn't lessen the "risk" of impaction :)

Hi & welcome Jodiec :)

I wouldn't get them neutered either. In most cases this operation goes without problems, but do you really want to risk it?

thanks for all your replies and i'll not do it, i introduced them myself so would hate for anything to happen to them and if they may get all the messy bottom anyway its not worth the risk. Thanks everyone - i think this forum is going to be very useful and interesting. :D

Hi Jodie,
Don't get them neutered - it can be risky.
One of my boars sometimes get what my brother would call a "Dangleberry" hanging out his bottom - like a white blob with a bit of hair stuck in it - its gross but he normally scrapes it off by dragging his butt on my doormat, the little darling! 98)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back