Question about boar neighbors.

MorskoPrase

New Born Pup
Reaction score
A while ago, one of my boar pairs had a breakup due to blood being drawn and fighting. One of the boars was later successfully bonded with a baby and they are now neighbors with my singleton pig. They all rumble, talk and "kiss" through the bars many times a day. I know the general consensus is single boars are often okay as long as they can see and smell other pigs around. But how do we know that for sure or where do we get that info? How would I know that his interaction through bars is sufficient? The singleton loves to sleep near the edge of the C&C cage panels rather than his hut to be close to the other boys. I'm always afraid he's jealous and would be happier with a baby of his own to boss around.

Interaction through the bars is sufficient interaction but living with another piggy is always going to be the preferred option where at all possible.
Do be aware that laying next to the bars is a territory marking exercise rather than wanting to be close to the others

I agree with piggies&buns. For a while I had a single boar living nextdoor to a boar pair and he was very happy. They'd often popcorn and set each other off which was quite sweet to watch. He now has 2 ladies to do zoomies and popcorns with.

If you have time/resources/space/money to get him a friend then go for it. See if any rescues near you do boar dating. :)

Back