Question about bladder stones

Retve

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I currently have 4 female guinea pigs but never dealt with stones, I have dealt with sludge before though.
Recently my vet reached out saying they have a male (neutered) guinea pig who was left at their clinic who’s looking for a home. He was brought to the clinic to have an emergency bladder stone removal surgery. He’s about to turn 9 months old soon, so young to already have a stone.
I would really love to give him a home but of course I’m concerned about him already having had a stone.
Has anyone ever had success after a stone removal surgery with not having another stone return for some time? I know if I adopt him he’ll probably have problems again down the line I just hope it wouldn’t be immediately and that I wouldn’t be setting myself up for heartbreak.
I would be giving him a low calcium diet as I already do that for my bladder sludge prone piggy.

Thank you for any advice you might have.
CEA75E58-1B4A-4651-8ECE-7C3BE746316D.webp

I am sorry your post seems to have been missed on Saturday. I am not a health expert but I can tell you about my own experience.
I have had a guinea pig who got a second stone 2 weeks after surgery and one who died 2 years after surgery from something completely unrelated. Hopefully this boar got the stone because of a high calcium diet and your low calcium diet will ensure he doesn't get another one. The forum recommends only feeding one tablespoon of pellets per day and filtering water as well as low calcium veggies to help in the fight against stones.
It would be lovely if you could give this gorgeous boy a home and a second chance.

Many years ago I had a boar who had his first bladder stone when age two. He had it removed and I never fed him nuggets again. Four years later when age six he had an other, again I had it removed but he had an other occur in under two weeks and was in pain so I opted to have him pts.
Some years later I had an other boar develop a stone again around the age of two. Again he had it removed and I cut nuggets out of his diet and he had no reoccurrence and lived to be nearly seven.
Also I currently have a boar named Arthur, he is around five and had a stone removed a little over a year ago. Again he is now nugget free. A few weeks ago I heard him do a tiny bit of crying when having a wee. The vet scanned him and he has no stones just Inflammation so is now on a low dose of metacam for life.

Agreed, if the stone was a result of improper diet then he might be fine. You're obviously gambling, as it's possible it's genetics.

Can you ask the vet if they know anything about how he was cared for? Did the previous owner leave any of the food he was being given or give any details of his diet? Was he a lone pig? If he was a lone pig, it's more likely the owners were not knowledgeable about guinea pig care and may have been making classic mistakes (too much dry food, the wrong dry food, not enough hay, too little space meaning not enough exercise and so on).

Back